Martin 0 Soprano

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Maybe someone posted about this already.

Martin is introducing a 0 Soprano made from sinker wood recovered in Belize. It costs $1,599, and it has Graphtec tuners.

Somehow I always thought that the "0" models featured the shorter fretboard (that stops where it meets the body), such as on my humble S-0, but of course I'm likely all wet on that! In any event, this new 0 model looks like a nice one!

Martin announced this at NAMM in April 2023 along with the S1K koa soprano.
Yes I remember that announcement. I have heard a couple clips of these that sound decent. It is probably a tough price point and market. For less money, there are some nice luthier or vintage instruments out there that would compete.

Somehow I always thought that the "0" models featured the shorter fretboard
I would rather see the shorter fretboard like the vintage style 0, 1 and 2. I don't care for the look of the lighter wood, but have seen some versions that look a bit better.

I would love to see nicer tuners on there like the nice Waverly ones that look like those on 20s era ukes.

All that said, and not to sound like a grump, I would enjoy getting to check one of these out sometime.

Yes I remember that announcement. I have heard a couple clips of these that sound decent. It is probably a tough price point and market. For less money, there are some nice luthier or vintage instruments out there that would compete.

I would rather see the shorter fretboard like the vintage style 0, 1 and 2. I don't care for the look of the lighter wood, but have seen some versions that look a bit better.

I would love to see nicer tuners on there like the nice Waverly ones that look like those on 20s era ukes.

All that said, and not to sound like a grump, I would enjoy getting to check one of these out sometime.
I agree fully about the tuners. Going cheap plastic on a $1,600 uke (no matter how well they’re designed to work) is nuts.

Maybe someone posted about this already.

Martin is introducing a 0 Soprano made from sinker wood recovered in Belize. It costs $1,599, and it has Graphtec tuners.

Sinker mahogany must be a very popular tone wood for the industry. That's a pretty little uke and I'd guess it would sound great.

I’d much rather spend $100 less for a Kamaka HF-1 that has better tuners (UPT) and a rosewood bridge/fingerboard.

I tried a uke at my local store that had Graph Tec tuners. They felt cheap to me.

$1600 because it says Martin on the headstock. Pay more and get less. No thanks.

I'd love to hear a sound sample of the Martin 2M sop, this new Sinker 0, a vintage Soprano Martin. That would be a Wow.

Reactions: EDW
I am really happy with the Sinker Mahogany Soprano Martin ukulele. I have played five different ukuleles and they all sounded fantastic.
Fit and finish are top notch. Not the glossy finish you see on other instruments, and the tuners keep the instrument light and balanced. Initially there were to be only 100 of the Sinker O ukuleles. I heard it is now 150 units. My preference is the Mahogany sound vs. the Koa sound... YMMV

Last edited:
Worth every penny. The sinker Martin ukes are going to be the stradivari of ukuleles. Get one while you can. I have 2 tenors and 2 sopranos.

Of course, there are lots of vintage Martins that give these stiff competition. Glad people like them and Martin is making a good effort to produce a quality instrument.

Somehow I always thought that the "0" models featured the shorter fretboard (that stops where it meets the body), such as on my humble S-0, but of course I'm likely all wet on that! In any event, this new 0 model looks like a nice one!
None of the current ukes on the Martin site have the shorter fretboard. A year ago there were a few if I recall correctly. Maybe they abandoned short fretboards. I don't care for the longer ones that go to the soundhole.

None of the current ukes on the Martin site have the shorter fretboard. A year ago there were a few if I recall correctly. Maybe they abandoned short fretboards. I don't care for the longer ones that go to the soundhole.
I too prefer the shorter fretboard, Mike. I very seldom have the need to go higher than the 12th fret. And although it may just be my over-active imagination, I feel like the "extended" fretboard inhibits the vibration of the ukulele's top to some extent. "That's my story and I'm..." :)

And although it may just be my over-active imagination, I feel like the "extended" fretboard inhibits the vibration of the ukulele's top to some extent. "That's my story and I'm..." :)
Not being a luthier or acoustician, I don't have any idea. I have known of some uke luthiers who believe this, while others dismiss the idea. Logic would suggest that especially with such a small area, the more you can free up areas to vibrate, the better off you would be. I suppose it could be an interesting experiment for some builder

Not being a luthier or acoustician, I don't have any idea. I have known of some uke luthiers who believe this, while others dismiss the idea. Logic would suggest that especially with such a small area, the more you can free up areas to vibrate, the better off you would be. I suppose it could be an interesting experiment for some builder
Yes indeed. And of course it may be one of those things where, either way, the average human ear probably isn't going to detect any real difference.

Top Bottom