Strings Martin Premium Polygut Strings

All things strings!

BDW

Reaction score
A few days ago I swapped out the stock Aquila Super Nylgut strings on an Islander solid acacia tenor with Martin Premium Polygut strings keeping a wound low G that I had previously installed. I am very pleased with the resulting tone. I decided against installing fluorocarbon strings because I prefer a more mellow sound.

I realize that string preferences are highly personal. But I want to thank all of you for your various posts about your string preferences. I probably would have never considered the Martin Premium strings without your comments and suggestions.

Thanks to all of you for your ongoing help for this neophyte ukulele player.

I recently installed a set of Martin polygut strings on a solid mahogany ukulele. The sound is certainly different from the standard Martin fluorocarbon strings. I'm still trying to decide which I prefer. The Martin polygut strings have what I would call a twang to them, while the flurocarbon strings sound more bright and clear. I haven't used the white Aquila strings in a long time, but if I recall correctly, the polygut strings sound a little like the white Aquilas, except that the polygut strings have more resonance and less squeak than the white Aquilas. The polygut strings are also thinner and smoother than the white Aquilas.

Top Bottom