Martin Sinker Soprano

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Martin has a soprano made from sinker mahogany reclaimed from a river bottom in Belize. Can you imagine how much Martin must have paid for that wood? It had to be salvaged from the bottom the river, cleaned and dried, and then flown over a thousand miles to PA or a much shorter distance to Mexico. It's listed for $1,599.00.

I suspect the value will increase because they won't be turning these out by the thousands.

Martin has a soprano made from sinker mahogany reclaimed from a river bottom in Belize. Can you imagine how much Martin must have paid for that wood?
I've no idea at all how much such wood costs, but possibly less than you imagine. I bought a Ken Timms soprano made of sinker mahogany and it seems unlikely that he would have paid an excessive amount for the wood.

Obviously it now makes financial sense to retrieve and use the sunken timber, especially as resources have been greatly depleted: exactly what that means in dollars and cents I can't say. Definitely a finite supply, though, so I expect you're right about value rising (assuming demand for ukes continues).

handy for those beach parties... you know if its gets in the water it will just fall to the seabed rather than inconveniently floating away on the tide.

I purchased a Martin NAAM sinker mahogany guitar, and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I was a fool, and sold it, after going on a downsize binge....sure wish I had it back...even though I only play my Ukes most days now... I did buy some Martin sinker mahogany wood from someone who worked at Martin, and was selling some scrap pieces...I hope to someday use it on a Uke that I build myself 😁

The only thing that I don't like is the amount of frets. I prefer 12 frets plus that pointy bit at the end instead of frets all the way to the hole...and the price.

I purchased a Martin NAAM sinker mahogany guitar, and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I was a fool, and sold it, after going on a downsize binge....sure wish I had it back...even though I only play my Ukes most days now... I did buy some Martin sinker mahogany wood from someone who worked at Martin, and was selling some scrap pieces...I hope to someday use it on a Uke that I build myself 😁
I would love to get some of that sinker mahogany from the Martin employee...

Top Bottom