Meditation

I did about 7 minutes (in my chair) last night. I’m amazed how busy my mind was in that time.

It definitely will be at first. That gets easier as you have more practice. I find the guided meditations help a bit with that.

Thoughts will intrude and the trick is to just notice them and let them go.

I heard it said that it’s easy to be a holy man on the top of a mountain.
The Buddha walked amongst us.
I’m afraid I don’t get your point. One can meditate anywhere anytime — right?
For the proverbial old man on the mountain top—and there are more of them in cartoons than there ever were in fact—holiness is easy to achieve. It seems to consist of a divine detachment. No dealing with the rabble, the harsh intrusions of reality, mortgages, bosses, the daily grind.

For the rabble (that means us) holiness is a bigger challenge. And even finding 10 minutes a day to meditate can be difficult.

There are many ways to meditate. Not all include sitting Indian-style and focusing on breathing. I prefer walking meditation or meditating while playing an instrument, the uke mostly. Sometimes I do focused meditation, where I focus on the muscles, flexing them each individually, slowly and deliberately. I don't do transcendental, mantra or spiritual meditation because I don't live near a mountain. Sometimes I meditate on a problem or a question.

For the proverbial old man on the mountain top—and there are more of them in cartoons than there ever were in fact—holiness is easy to achieve. It seems to consist of a divine detachment. No dealing with the rabble, the harsh intrusions of reality, mortgages, bosses, the daily grind.

For the rabble (that means us) holiness is a bigger challenge. And even finding 10 minutes a day to meditate can be difficult.
If it wasn’t for this darned ipad, I’d have plenty of time for other stuff, but I can’t seem to keep my i off the pad. Ha! I tried putting it away, but I always get it out when I get bored, or I hafta git it out to check somethin’. I think I’m a ipadaholic.

Last edited:
There are many ways to meditate. Not all include sitting Indian-style and focusing on breathing. I prefer walking meditation or meditating while playing an instrument, the uke mostly. Sometimes I do focused meditation, where I focus on the muscles, flexing them each individually, slowly and deliberately. I don't do transcendental, mantra or spiritual meditation because I don't live near a mountain. Sometimes I meditate on a problem or a question.
I tried walking meditation, but I‘m an old guy and have breathing problems. I found it made me a bit breathless. Thanks for the info though.

People insulate themselves that same way by their thoughts. There is no actual mountaintop, it is a metaphor for rising above the hubbub.

Relaxation Response is a good way to start meditating. There are articles & videos on it online. Helps with clearing your mind & not forcing things. (Wasn’t able to provide link.)
Here’s an informational link, maybe not the one you were thinking of:

And another, also from an authoritative source:

Here’s an informational link, maybe not the one you were thinking of:

And another, also from an authoritative source:

Thanks for the info, but l’m satisfied with what I‘m doing. When I’m not, maybe I’ll start another search.

No, Patty, don’t be sorry. I need and appreciate all the info I can get. Even if I don’t use it, it’s always good to have a good store of info. Thank you.

For everyone interested in reducing the time you spend / lose on smartphones (or ipads), the Guardian has a five week coaching plan to reduce your screen time. In the article you can read readers' experiences. Some of the things mentioned aredoing nothing (without getting bored), reading more and having found joy in staring out of a window.

My library hold on Mindfulness for Beginners (Jon Kabat-Zinn) just came through, and I think at a good time for me to focus on this. I'll report back if I find it to be a good resource.

Yes. I'm retired now so I try to ensure magic and meditation are a conscious part of everything I do.

When I suffered from insomnia, meditation turned out to be a great way to relax and fall asleep faster.

My library hold on Mindfulness for Beginners (Jon Kabat-Zinn) just came through, and I think at a good time for me to focus on this. I'll report back if I find it to be a good resource.
I didn't state this, but I got the audio book from the library, and I think that's the only way this would work. (I don't know if they sell it as a "regular" book.)

A good beginning point. Doesn't go deep into meditation/mindfulness, but it is a book for beginners, (and those of us who need a nudge to get back to doing this.)

I can't say it's meditation, but for me, it's about watching the water. Lots of water. I can sit like that for an hour or two. It's calming and helps organize my thoughts.

Just got the audio book of "Start Where You Are", by Pema Chodron. Haven't started it yet, but I hope it's a good resource for meditation.

Top Bottom