Strings Message for former users of Southcoast strings

Patty

Slowly Going Baroque
UU VIP
Reaction score
Have any of you found a good substitute for the Southcoast wound C string? I’m at a loss, after almost two years of searching. I use a low G on my concerts, both of them faultless custom builds. Finding a good wound low G is not a problem, but every C I’ve tried so far (wound, fluorocarbon, nylon) either lands with a dreadful thud above the 5th or 6th fret, or squeaks loudly. The Thomastik-Infeld CF27 comes closest but still sounds dull to me.

When Southcoast closed in 2018, @DownUpDave posted this:

I am a HUGE fan of his wound 3rd and 4th. The 4th can successfully be replaced with a Fremont Soloist but nothing and I mean nothing replaces his wound 3rd. Because it is phosphorus bronze like the 4th it balances perfectly. I have tried many brands to replace his wound third, the best balance and there is a difference in tone is using the Thomastik CF27.
Any updates out there? I know that @Patrick Madsen was also looking.

I don't care for a wound C string so I don't have experience, but I do enjoy following a good string rabbit trail! Maybe one of these would be worth a try?

All I can say is that I miss Dirk and his strings. 😢

I saw somewhere that Alex from SUS uses a Daddario wound for the C although I’m not sure which.

I have no recommendations for strings, but when I’ve needed advice, I found the folks at “Strings by Mail” to be very helpful. Give them the same information that you provided here, tell them what you like about the south coast and dislike about others that you’ve tried. Make sure you give them as much information as you can about the instruments on which the strings will be mounted. I usually get a reply within one or two days.

Great info, everybody. This gives me more options to try. As it happens, I’m changing strings right now (last change was May 8). Trying a bunch of GHS combinations, wound/fluorocarbon/nylon. No luck last time, but maybe this latest change ….

LaBella has a high G tenor set (No. 12) with an aluminum wound C string. The theory is that aluminum wound works better for the C string as it has less mass than brass/bronze wound for a given diameter, so gives better tone. Maybe finger noisy, though.

Great info, everybody. This gives me more options to try. As it happens, I’m changing strings right now (last change was May 8). Trying a bunch of GHS combinations, wound/fluorocarbon/nylon. No luck last time, but maybe this latest change ….
You go through strings pretty fast! Just a week? You must beat the hell outta that uke.....

1. Labella .0365" rectified nylon. I use this for cGBE on concert.
(The 'c' is tuned the same as std. GCEA ukulele's 'C.')

2. Another option is a D'Addario NYL037 or Labella .037" rectified nylon.

Both are available from StringsByMail.
(BTW, JustStrings is also a good source.)

3. Martin M600 #3 (C) .034" Fluorocarbon also works OK.
(I don't know if Martin fluoros are available as singles... )

It all comes down to how well it blends in with the other strings.

Last edited:
PATTY, PATTY, PATTY. OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!!!!!

Oasis had come out with a smooth wound 3rd in their "Linear baritone "Southcoast" Double Set. I had used them and that 3rd wound was identical to Dirk's.

They now sell that string separately direct through their website.

See "UKE smooth Wound .027" 3rd string". This is the same diameter, material sound and feel as Dirk's Southcoast. I'm going order at least 6 or more just in case.

PATTY, PATTY, PATTY. OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!!!!!

Oasis had come out with a smooth wound 3rd in their "Linear baritone "Southcoast" Double Set. I had used them and that 3rd wound was identical to Dirk's.
They now sell that string separately direct through their website.

See "UKE smooth Wound .027" 3rd string". This is the same diameter, material sound and feel as Dirk's Southcoast. I'm going order at least 6 or more just in case.
Oh, Dave. I nearly cried when I saw this. I’ve already ordered some. Thank you thank you thank you. 🥹 I’ll report back.

I started playing only 3 years ago, so I never got to use South Coast strings, but everybody on the forum seemed to almost worship them. Especially the wound C.

Top Bottom