Modern sopranos that are close to old Martins

I think Martin does a pretty good job of setting up their own ukes. I purchased mine off ebay, and it was great out of the gate. They use their own strings, which are awesome, the fret work is also very good, and action was I thought perfect.

Same with my S1 from eBay.

I'd get at your budget a limited edition mainland honeybee if you can find one
It's a Martin like copy in mahogany and light and the tone is very nice, the neck
May be a little thicker but still comfortable good luck

I agree with SamUke and Paul December and others. I wanted to buy my OKX from a vendor that did set ups. All that I read seemed to agree that very little set up was needed on the OXK, and they were right. It played well out of the box, and has that old time twang on the A string. The frets were dressed and set up well. It plays nicely up the neck. The action seems fine.

Wasnt the mele sopranos based on martin blue prints ? i own 2 mele sopranos and love them and extremely well priced infact they have got me over my desire / lust for a vintage martin although still hanker for a timms lol but i personally love meles :)

the martin oxk i have I've considered filing the nut slots a touch but I still haven't done anything with and it plays fine.

How do those martin oxk's stand up as compared to more traditional martic clones like the ohana or others? I have heard good things about the HPL guitars. But I have to admit that I'm suspicious as far as laminated ukuleles go. Every laminated uke I have ever hears or played sounded so muted and choked.

Yep, the dealer I bought my 0XK from in the UK do proper set-ups, but they said they hardly ever have to touch the Martins.

I bought my OXK on ebay, from a dealer in Germany. The ukulele needed no further setup straight from the box. It's a great instrument, laminate or not.

Those old Favilla's are great.

How do those martin oxk's stand up as compared to more traditional martic clones like the ohana or others? I have heard good things about the HPL guitars. But I have to admit that I'm suspicious as far as laminated ukuleles go. Every laminated uke I have ever hears or played sounded so muted and choked.

The 0XK isn't a conventional laminate and the HPL is very thin. My 0XK sounds great, it certainly isn't muted! However I haven't played any other 'Martin clones' so I don't know how it compares.

The Martin will have a little bit wider nut than the Ohana , I think it makes it easier to play. IMHO

When searching for an old Martin, what are the reasons that one would look for a model with only 12 frets vs one with more. It looks to me like most repros have 12 frets while most modern Martins have more. What I've noticed in my limited experience is that it's nice to have the fretboard out of the way when playing fingerstyle. Perhaps this is less of an issue for experienced players...... Thanks

there's a Koaloha soprano in the marketplace for $500!

The Martin will have a little bit wider nut than the Ohana , I think it makes it easier to play. IMHO

ya' think? I have 2 Martins, a (modern concert and vintage style 0) and a concert Ohana and they all measure 1-3/8" at the nut. Matter of fact everything I have measures 1-3/8". I used to have an Islander (by Kanilea) that was 1-1/2".

ya' think? I have 2 Martins, a (modern concert and vintage style 0) and a concert Ohana and they all measure 1-3/8" at the nut. Matter of fact everything I have measures 1-3/8". I used to have an Islander (by Kanilea) that was 1-1/2".

Maybe you need a new ruler. The Ohana is a little under 1 3/8's and a Martin is a little over 1 3/8's. A Martin is 1 13/32's . I have Martins and one Ohana soprano and Yes I think the Martin is wider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom