Montana Sue

MontanaSue

Reaction score
I need help! I am trying to figure out what kind of ukulele I should buy. I am looking at a KoAloha Opio Concert all solid Acacia KCO-10 Ukulele w/bag and a Pono Mango Concert Deluxe (MGCD 3134) . I am a beginner and only have played for about a year on a cheap Caramel concert ukulele from Amazon. I am ready to upgrade and willing to spend more money on a really good one that's a good fit for me! Is it just cosmetic or is there a sound quality difference between the two?
Any thoughts or suggestions on a either one of them would be greatly appreciated!

They are both very popular, but have some documented differences that may or may not be relevant to you. Sound differences are always up to the player but KoAlohas tend to make you sound more bright and cheerful and Pono are often more subdued in comparison due to their heavier build. This could apply to Opio as well but generalization does not necessarily apply to specific ukes you may have available to you.

I’ve played less than a year, own an Opio and would buy a Pono Mango if it fell in my lap. I think you’re gonna love whichever one you pick. You’ve done a good job doing your homework because both are great picks. Both will have different sounds and unless you have both, you won’t be able to compare. Maybe you should tell the forum what type sound you’re looking for? Warm? Bright? Etc. I’m sure there are many here that either have owned both or still do. But not having any specific sound you’re looking for, you won’t go wrong with either.

I’ve played less than a year, own an Opio and would buy a Pono Mango if it fell in my lap. I think you’re gonna love whichever one you pick. You’ve done a good job doing your homework because both are great picks. Both will have different sounds and unless you have both, you won’t be able to compare. Maybe you should tell the forum what type sound you’re looking for? Warm? Bright? Etc. I’m sure there are many here that either have owned both or still do. But not having any specific sound you’re looking for, you won’t go wrong with either.
Oh yes btw I am looking for a rather warm and bright sound. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

Speaking of which, I discovered fairly recently that their TUS Clips YT page has dedicated playlists, by builder! Here's one for 'Oli and one for Pono. One could easily throw on a good pair of headphones, sift thru the 114 Pono vids and find nearly any model from Master Series to Pro Classic to what have you and listen for hours, comparing tones and sounds from the lovely playing from the team. I definitely did this with their 56 video Ko'olau playlist. 'Oli already has 41 videos and they're just getting started!
You may find some sound clips listed here of both instruments and be able to find the sound you like.

Top Bottom