Moon Bird or Heritage Koa?? Need help

MattyNaylor

Reaction score
Good evening family!
So, I have a Custom heritage Koa tenor and I also have an aNueNue Moon Bird tenor. I recently got the Heritage and my plan was to use it for when I'm out of the house. Previously my moon bird was basically my "cadilac" and I'll never really take it anywhere for fear of damaging it or getting caught in the rain or something. But after getting my Heritage, I realized that this thing is like my baby too. It falls in the same price range and is just as high quality, so I wont be taking either of them outside. I've decided I want to either trade one or sell it and use the funds for either a Klos full carbon or a farallon ekoa. Problem is, I'm having trouble deciding which to part with. I need a uke that is outside proof, and I only need one "cadilac" ukulele. I dont have the funds to keep both and get my desired uke.
I was hoping to get some opinions. Here is a youtube tone comparison (please disregard my several mistakes! I did this in one take). Which one do you prefer and why? What do you like about each?

Those sound surprisingly similar and I'd be happy with either, but if I had to pick, I'd take the aNueNue. I thought it had a little more bass and clearer treble, more overtones - better overall sound. The Heritage has lots of midrange and is slightly more blurred sounding. Again though, it's close, and I'd take either.

Good luck deciding which baby to do without. Never easy.

Those sound surprisingly similar and I'd be happy with either, but if I had to pick, I'd take the aNueNue. I thought it had a little more bass and clearer treble, more overtones - better overall sound. The Heritage has lots of midrange and is slightly more blurred sounding. Again though, it's close, and I'd take either.

Good luck deciding which baby to do without. Never easy.
Thank you for your thoughts!

Both terrific, but in different ways. I prefer the Moon Bird. It seems to have a little more subtlety, clarity, and nuance.

They are both wonderful.

Is the Heritage new? The moonbird has a more subtle sound. But if one has new strings, perhaps it needs time to settle?

They are both wonderful.

Is the Heritage new? The moonbird has a more subtle sound. But if one has new strings, perhaps it needs time to settle?
Yes the Heritage is new. To my ears, the heritage is midrange heavy and has a lot of punch. The moon bird is thicker on the bottom end and sparkles on the higher end with more overtones but the mids are scooped, giving it less punch. Each has what the other lacks lol. That's why this is so dang hard. Ughh. I might just put both up for a trade and which ever gets snagged first will be the one I part with.

Good evening family!
So, I have a Custom heritage Koa tenor and I also have an aNueNue Moon Bird tenor. I recently got the Heritage and my plan was to use it for when I'm out of the house. Previously my moon bird was basically my "cadilac" and I'll never really take it anywhere for fear of damaging it or getting caught in the rain or something. But after getting my Heritage, I realized that this thing is like my baby too. It falls in the same price range and is just as high quality, so I wont be taking either of them outside. I've decided I want to either trade one or sell it and use the funds for either a Klos full carbon or a farallon ekoa. Problem is, I'm having trouble deciding which to part with. I need a uke that is outside proof, and I only need one "cadilac" ukulele. I dont have the funds to keep both and get my desired uke.
I was hoping to get some opinions. Here is a youtube tone comparison (please disregard my several mistakes! I did this in one take). Which one do you prefer and why? What do you like about each?

"Six of one, half dozen of the other". The Heritage is clear and rich, you hear every note whilst the 'Bird is mellow with mids and highs chiming everywhere. You play so well either uke would do you justice. In the final analysis, I'd say keep the Heritage.

I vote for the one with less votes. They are close enough that you are the one that must decide.

You can put a For trade post if that helps.

This is a big expenditure. Have you personally held and test-played a Farallon Ekoa or Klos full carbon? Is it possible to take one or both of what you have for a demo comparison?

If you’re not in a hurry to decide you might find that different stings might give that Moonbird more punch and then you’d have everything in one.

This is a big expenditure. Have you personally held and test-played a Farallon Ekoa or Klos full carbon? Is it possible to take one or both of what you have for a demo comparison?

I have played a klos and a clara but not a farallon. I really liked both of those ukes. I have been playing both of my ukes back and forth for several hours today, and I am really attached to the moon bird, so I've decided I'll put the heritage up for trade. If there is no takers, I'll hold on to both for now, I'm not in a rush. I'll just put it out there and see what happens.

If you’re not in a hurry to decide you might find that different stings might give that Moonbird more punch and then you’d have everything in one.
The moon bird sounds ridiculously good in person. It's so resonant that my cheap usb mic has trouble really capturing it. It almost seems like the mic is compressing the sound and making it less complex.

To my ears, the two ukes sound quite different from each other, but I like the sound of both. If your recorded samples are typical of what you usually play (3/4 strumming chords, 1/4 playing finger-style), then sound-wise, I think the Heritage is a better match for you. Having said that … Which uke makes you smile when you play it? If neither (or both), then which one is more comfortable to play? If one of them ticks either or both of these boxes, then that’s your keeper. Good luck with your decision. It’s definitely a tough one.

Top Bottom