New Uke Day (NUD) Moonbird

mlolya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I haven’t been posting many NUDs lately, but I just wanted to say something about this one.
I think most of you are well aware of the Moonbird and how well respected it is. I had heard so much about it, but I didn’t seem all that interested, I guess because I wasn’t sure if I liked the design of it.
But the more I read about it and listened to some amazing musicians playing this instrument the more intrigued I became. I waited until I found a good deal on an absolutely mint Moonbird in Nashville and I grabbed it.
IMG_6901.jpeg

I was just amazed at how beautiful this ukulele is. There is nothing about the fit and finish on it that isn’t perfection. The spruce and the rosewood are superb.
But it’s the sound of the Moonbird that is the most amazing. The ukulele that I have held up as having the most wonderful sound has been my KoAloha Silver Anniversary. This Moonbird is starting to change my mind.
It does everything right. It has the original Black Water strings on it and it’s the first ukulele I’ve had that I wasn’t eager to try new strings on.
I feel honored to own such a beautiful instrument.
Now I know what all the hype is about.

IMG_6939.jpeg

Moonbird among friends.

Was just going to post about mine -- just bought a pre-loved Moon Bird Soprano, and it's astonishingly good. I can't say it's the MOST fun to play of any soprano I've owned (that will likely always be my 1940's Style 1, since it's SO light it feels like it will drift off into the clouds if I don't keep both hands on it at all times), but it's pretty close, thanks to the impeccable craftsmanship, the SMELL coming from it, and the mind-blowingly rich and lovely tone that even a hack like me is able to clumsily produce with it... SO SO GREAT.

My only ding on the Anuenues, and it's deeply subjective, is the headstock logo. Don't dig that at all. Looks a little childish/cheap to me, I don't know -- just seems that something much more elegant and refined belongs there on such a spectacular instrument.

My only ding on the Anuenues, and it's deeply subjective, is the headstock logo. Don't dig that at all. Looks a little childish/cheap to me, I don't know -- just seems that something much more elegant and refined belongs there on such a spectacular instrument.
I adored my Moon Bird soprano, which is now being adored by @ploverwing (I decided I wanted a concert size MB instead). But I agree about the logo. I understand the pictorial reference to “anuenue” (rainbow) but it reminds me of those silly, ubiquitous kokopelli figures.

I still fantasize about getting a Moon Bird concert.

It's a spectacular instrument. Welcome to the Moonbird fan club. Still loving my Baby Bird from @Patty . A rich, thoroughly beautiful sounding instrument that looks amazing, is so comfortable to play and gets a lot of admiration from players and audiences alike. And yes that spruce smell is divine. The only thing that bugs me on the soprano (probably not an issue on other scale lengths) is the extended fretboard to the sound hole. I find ergonomically it's where I want to fingerpick, and then my thumb bumps against it. Hate that. Plus personally, on a soprano, I'm not going to want to head there with my fretting hand. So if I could successfully pull the length of the fretboard back a few frets' worth, it would be perfect.

Congratulations on your latest addition to your herd. Looks like it's in good company!

+1 aNueNue _Bird fan club!
I must be in the minority, but I like the headstock design.

Congrats! The Moonbird is the second ukulele that made me want to become a dealer. The first one was the Moku, which may not even be around anymore, but had the same build quality.
I wound up not being a dealer, but then started a performance band of ukulele geeks instead.

Welcome to the Moonbird family. Mine plays at church every Sunday. Its amazing tone sounds even better thru the church PA. Love the logo. Love the Blackwater strings.

Top Bottom