More on heat bending.

Timbuck

Reaction score
I found this video , it’s not luthier stuff but interesting …I like the idea of a template fixed on top of the set up instead of having to have the mould nearby,

very smart idea....and never stand in front of the pipe!!!! :)

I use a similar, if somewhat cruder set up for bending my cutaways. Just a length of scaffold bar in a bench vice with a blowtorch on one end. Very effective and just the right radius for me. Takes just a min or so and a light spritz of water and I’m done. Just did one earlier today for a L/H octave mandolin.
I also have a messier bench 😔IMG_6688.jpegIMG_6690.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a similar, if somewhat cruder set up for bending my cutaways. Just a length of scaffold bar in a bench vice with a blowtorch on one end. Very effective and just the right radius for me. Takes just a min or so and a light spritz of water and I’m done. Just did one earlier today for a L/H octave mandolin.
I also have a messier bench 😔View attachment 169379View attachment 169380

I tried a bending setup just like that, but with a galvanized pipe. I understand that might be unhealthy, so I held my breath the whole time. (Only kidding about the breath) I eventually got an official electric wood bending "thing."

I found this video , it’s not luthier stuff but interesting …I like the idea of a template fixed on top of the set up instead of having to have the mould nearby,

I'm so glad to hear that he "predrilled the holes." So many amateurs wait until after the project is completed to drill the holes. At least he didn't say, "I went ahead and ..." 🤣

Predrilling a hole is probably like preboarding a plane - getting on before you actually board the plane. Where are the language police when you need them?

Last edited:
I also have a messier bench 😔View attachment 169379

I tried a bending setup just like that, but with a galvanized pipe. I understand that might be unhealthy, so I held my breath the whole time. (Only kidding about the breath) I eventually got an official electric wood bending "thing."
Thanks Jerry. This is a galvanised pipe. I must admit I rather naively hadn’t considered any health hazards of heating up the zinc, it’s a very good point worth making. I work in construction carpentry a bit, and do most of my own plumbing at home so a Scaff bar and blowtorch were things I had to hand for no money, it worked well and so that was that.
I have done a (very) little research, and it appears that it may be relatively ok until prolonged heating at nearly 400F/200C.
I haven’t tested how hot it gets, but I don’t think it reaches that hot, and certainly not for very long. It has got me thinking about replacing the pipe though. And opening a few windows 😂

And I will add that I don’t recommend this technique to anyone. Metal Fume Fever doesn’t sound very pleasant.

Thanks Jerry. This is a galvanised pipe. I must admit I rather naively hadn’t considered any health hazards of heating up the zinc, it’s a very good point worth making. I work in construction carpentry a bit, and do most of my own plumbing at home so a Scaff bar and blowtorch were things I had to hand for no money, it worked well and so that was that.
I have done a (very) little research, and it appears that it may be relatively ok until prolonged heating at nearly 400F/200C.
I haven’t tested how hot it gets, but I don’t think it reaches that hot, and certainly not for very long. It has got me thinking about replacing the pipe though. And opening a few windows 😂

And I will add that I don’t recommend this technique to anyone. Metal Fume Fever doesn’t sound very pleasant.

I got one of these, although I didn't pay anywhere near $296.

I got one of these, although I didn't pay anywhere near $296.

Uk made, for the uk based

I only ever really use it for a cutaway, I’ll probably just acquire a plain steel or ally pipe at some point.

Uk made, for the uk based

I only ever really use it for a cutaway, I’ll probably just acquire a plain steel or ally pipe at some point.

I've never made on with that cutaway. Maybe someday.

Top Bottom