Most unusual rehearsal place you've used?

MikeBass66

Reaction score
Rehearsal space is usually something of a make-do with situation in my experience.
Of course there have been times when we've been lucky enough to use a range of superb facilities, including recording studio spaces, church/village halls and dedicated home spaces.
However, on occasions there have been factory units (out of hours obviously), hotel out-houses (shed), and even a commercial greenhouse!
What's your experience of the range of rehearsal spaces used?

Same as you. Concert halls, museums, libraries, university practice rooms, living rooms, hotel basements (including laundry rooms and exercise rooms).

Di
Same as you. Concert halls, museums, libraries, university practice rooms, living rooms, hotel basements (including laundry rooms and exercise rooms).
Did you have to play everything at 120bpm in the exercise room? 😂

I taught middle school band for a number of before moving to the elementary level for the remainder of my career. I taught elementary band and string at 7 schools a week for some of that time. I taught in locker rooms, copy rooms, hallways and broom closets. I also taught on stages in gyms with gym class going on.
A spot opened up at one of our elementary magnet schools. We have 2 in the town I taught in. One has a multicultural theme, and the other is based on teaching through the arts. I did my last 13 years there. We had grant money up the wazoo. (Anyone know what a wazoo is?) The building has a 650 seat auditorium, a tv/recording studio and resident artists. No more locker rooms or broom closets!

My daily practice location is in the supply closet that adjoins my office. Calling it “rehearsal” is a stretch. In the winter I have to use an electric heater. Otherwise, it’s not too cramped, actually rather comfortable and essentially soundproof.

Me and my brother used to play guitars in the bathroom for the added reverb.

During lunch breaks, I used to practice concertina in the back seat of my VW Bug. I had to remove the front passenger seat to make room to draw the bellows and stretch out my legs. (It was also a nice, quiet place to read.)

About twenty years ago, I was receiving treatment for prostate cancer. I would practise in the car park while waiting. The operatives saw that I was carrying an instrument case so they asked me to play for them. I'm guessing not many people have played the ukulele in front of an irradiation machine.You Are My Sunshine.jpg

About twenty years ago, I was receiving treatment for prostate cancer. I would practise in the car park while waiting. The operatives saw that I was carrying an instrument case so they asked me to play for them. I'm guessing not many people have played the ukulele in front of an irradiation machine.View attachment 177042
So your superhero origin story is "bitten by a radioactive ukulele"?

And coming from the west midlands, there's great musical stock to draws from as well.....🤘

Top Bottom