mountain goat's "CELLULOID OR BUST" contest

mountain goat

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
howdy friends!

For this competition i would like you to record a song from a television series -
theme song or otherwise - or from a film.
When i say 'song', that could be an instrumental piece or interlude.

(what made me think of this contest was me trying to make an arrangement of
one of the gorgeous pieces from the film, 'The Piano', score by Michael Nyman
over the last week or so.)

Any song/instrumental from any tv show, cartoon series or film is up for grabs.
Free roam on how you present your song - make an awesome clip,
film yourself live, overdubs and big arrangements all great as long
as the ukulele is a central part of your mix!
only limit is your imagination.

I am going to offer a beautiful ukulele as a prize:
a Collings UT1 mahogany tenor ukulele w/ original case

The contest is open to any member here from all round the world.
I will pay shipping w/ the prize to whomever is deemed the winner,
no matter what hemisphere or continent you are from.

I have enlisted a cohort of friends/judges to help me adjudicate.

Strictly one entry per competitor.
To enter please post your video/audio link here on this thread.

Competition begins from the time of this post
and runs until midnight October 31.
Winner will be announced on or before November 7.

have a ball folks!
xo

jon

PLAYLIST:
mountain goat's "CELLULOID OR BUST" ukulele contest

+ ADDITIONAL LINKS FOR 'non-you tube' entries:
1. Kohan Mike - http://www.kohanmike.com/downloads/The_Fishin'_Hole_KohanMike.mp4
2. donboody - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kcB5O2ZFtdogkVczj_Y8Ko8MT_zkhumg/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
That's really some contest and exceptionally nice of you. I like the genre or theme too. I'm not one to go into these contests or perform but I like to peruse and watch clips of others playing their ukes ukes etc. Good luck all and sounds like this will be interesting. Very nice of you Jon to do this and provide such a prize and ship it too. Outstanding.

That's really some contest and exceptionally nice of you. I like the genre or theme too. I'm not one to go into these contests or perform but I like to peruse and watch clips of others playing their ukes ukes etc. Good luck all and sounds like this will be interesting. Very nice of you Jon to do this and provide such a prize and ship it too. Outstanding.
cheers brother. should be a lot of fun! sure hope so :)

Wow, that is a generous prize! And so many possibilities for this theme, it'll be hard to pick only one...
great comment Edwin!
yes, this contest...well, it's sort of the opposite of the Seasons of the Ukulele:
there, each week and as you know, many of us will play 3, 4, 5+ songs in a single take
and leave em there. W/ this contest i want/hope people will take some time
to think through their performance, spend time practicing, working it through,
maybe building up an arrangement, layering stuff, working hard to do a
sweet live take, perhaps spending time making a film clip to accompany the music.
and w/ the prize on offer i hope folks will think it's worth spending time on.
mostly, just hope everyone has fun and i look forward to what music comes from it!
🌿

great comment Edwin!
yes, this contest...well, it's sort of the opposite of the Seasons of the Ukulele:
there, each week and as you know, many of us will play 3, 4, 5+ songs in a single take
and leave em there. W/ this contest i want/hope people will take some time
to think through their performance, spend time practicing, working it through,
maybe building up an arrangement, layering stuff, working hard to do a
sweet live take, perhaps spending time making a film clip to accompany the music.
and w/ the prize on offer i hope folks will think it's worth spending time on.
mostly, just hope everyone has fun and i look forward to what music comes from it!
🌿
Right, that's just what I was thinking - it might be fun to actually put some time into really thinking about an arrangement rather than just doing the first thing that comes to mind. Also practising enough to do a take with fewer mistakes! Hopefully I'll manage to have a go...

What an epic event of a contest!

I am happy to see contests/challenges etc. with more time to work on a single piece.
And the prize here is humbling, in lack of better words.

Amazing initiative Jon!

What an epic event of a contest!

I am happy to see contests/challenges etc. with more time to work on a single piece.
And the prize here is humbling, in lack of better words.

Amazing initiative Jon!
I look forward to what you might bring, Mikkel!

Wow!! What a wonderful offer, my brother! And as UkingViking mentioned, the time span allows even noobs like me enough practice time to get it right.
Thank you for a gesture that is as generous in spirit as in substance.

Wow!! What a wonderful offer, my brother! And as UkingViking mentioned, the time span allows even noobs like me enough practice time to get it right.
Thank you for a gesture that is as generous in spirit as in substance.
Yes Clark! No excuses not to submit something my man!
Plenty of practice time, really hope you'll record something mate. 🤠

I know just the song I'm going to do, one my uke group does. Going to need some rehearsal.

I know just the song I'm going to do, one my uke group does. Going to need some rehearsal.
OMG! What a fabulous idea and a fabulous reward. Unbelievably kind of you. My playing is so substandard... IE, horrible but I will have to get over myself and try. Again, so generous of you. :)🎶🎶

OMG! What a fabulous idea and a fabulous reward. Unbelievably kind of you. My playing is so substandard... IE, horrible but I will have to get over myself and try. Again, so generous of you. :)🎶🎶
I think you meant to reply to mountain goat, not me. You also could just start typing in the reply box at the bottom to add a post.

Cheers Steve, it's my pleasure mate. Don't even think about stuff like that my man, just have some fun and record something mate. No snobbery here about playing standards. it's about having fun. Most of us that play on the weekly season of the ukulele thing are by no means professional players, we're just bedroom hacks that love playing and sharing our music. this contest is very much in that spirit!

And what I do hope is that, folks who enter will also offer encouraging words to other folks' entries. That will really make this contest worthwhile in my opinion.

good things brother, look forward to seeing/hearing what you decide to go with!

Top Bottom