mountain goat's "CELLULOID OR BUST" contest

My entry for this contest....

You are traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!

This was so good, Patty!! Haha! The first appearance of that spider got me..I thought it was for real a huge spider! 😝 I had chills throughout the whole thing. Very suspenseful, creative and well-thought out! 👏✨😊

This is a very feeble offering but I just wanted to join in!

Smile, by Charlie Chaplin. Apparently an instrumental when it was used as the soundtrack for the film Modern Times, which conveniently let me off the singing hook 😊

(been a long time since I posted a video on here, in fact I had to get my son to remind me how to use YouTube, so it remains to be seen whether I even manage to post the link…!)

With two months to spend, I am a bit dissapointed in myself for doing something more with this.
Like using a click track, adding an instrumental break and repeating the chorus.
But though I chose the song more than a month ago, I ended up only getting a few short practice session in these last few days.
It's just like when I had to do reports back in school, always saving the work for the last night :LOL:

Anyway, something is better than nothing, and here it is:
"Love Letters" from the movie "Love Letters".

Hi Jon, this was originally by English band, The Korgis. It’s been covered by various artists over the years, and Beck’s cover featured in the film Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. The little girl in the film is my daughter, the cat is her favourite cuddly toy, Jessie Cat.

This starts on bari uke, then tenor uke is added, some garage band, and my trusty telecaster gets in on the act too.

I should add, I have used some of the cut outs for an animation I did for a Season a few years ago, namely the sun, the cloud ( and I used the device of cotton threads for rain), and the flower. The other cut outs were made for this film. I haven’t done many stop motion films so I’m learning how to do it better as I go along.

Wow!! So, so good! I don’t even know where to start. The song is beautiful—love the harmonies and all the instrumental layers are flawless. And the video is so sweet of your daughter and her favorite cuddly toy ✨💞😊 I adore this!

Hello, I wanted to participate along with everybody else, seems like a unique board wide opportunity.

Here is James Hill’s version of Here Comes The Rain again on Supa Wow, with raincoat. The song appears if you choose a specific cassette in Black Mirror: Bandersnatch.

I don’t have a YouTube so here is a google drive link.

Nice job on this! I like how you set the mood with the lighting, raincoat and thunderstorm in the background. ⛈☔
Cool uke, too!! ✨😎👍

Good evening.
Here is my solo arrangement of Charles Gounod's "Funeral March of the Marionettes". For concert ukulele.

This was the theme music for Alfred Hitchcock Presents, on American TV from 1955 to 1965.

Thanks for hosting this contest, Jon! I'm going to have to go through the thread and catch up on some of these entries.

What a rendition!! Totally enjoyed that-superb playing, and the details in the clip tie it together so nicely. 📽🤵🏼‍♂️

Thanks for this contest, Jon!
I've enjoyed this thread very much, and after the initial indecisiveness what to bring I settled for the prelude to Bach's first cello suite (BWV 1007). This piece is used in a few movies, among them Master and Commander, and The Hangover: Part 2.

The arrangement is by Valéry Sauvage (ex-UU member), and you can find it in the description box and / or the comments in his own video on YouTube:

Here's my entry:

So beautiful!! I needed to take a minute to absorb it afterward. 😊
I’m amazed that, first of all, you are able to remember all those notes and chords..and secondly, that you played most of it with your eyes closed! Haha-totally impressed! ✨❤️

Thanks for this contest, Jon!
I've enjoyed this thread very much, and after the initial indecisiveness what to bring I settled for the prelude to Bach's first cello suite (BWV 1007). This piece is used in a few movies, among them Master and Commander, and The Hangover: Part 2.

The arrangement is by Valéry Sauvage (ex-UU member), and you can find it in the description box and / or the comments in his own video on YouTube:

Here's my entry:

this is absolutely gorgeous Sabine. i adore the music you play; the classical pieces, songs from the golden era of the ukulele -
it's been a joy to see you progress as an arranger and performer these last years.
it's really lovely to have you involved in the contest my friend. thank you. :)

Smile, by Charlie Chaplin. Apparently an instrumental when it was used as the soundtrack for the film Modern Times, which conveniently let me off the singing hook 😊

(been a long time since I posted a video on here, in fact I had to get my son to remind me how to use YouTube, so it remains to be seen whether I even manage to post the link…!)

oh, BB, i enjoyed this so much. your arrangement is just lovely, the subtlety and sensitivity of your playing,
not to mention the song itself. very beautiful and which was emotional for me to listen to.
thank you so much V for entering the contest, was lovely to hear you play again! :)

With two months to spend, I am a bit dissapointed in myself for doing something more with this.
Like using a click track, adding an instrumental break and repeating the chorus.
But though I chose the song more than a month ago, I ended up only getting a few short practice session in these last few days.
It's just like when I had to do reports back in school, always saving the work for the last night :LOL:

gee Mikkel,
w/ each new recording your performances just go up notch after notch...
this is utterly gorgeous brother.
that crooning style of yours you just keep refining in the lovliest and richest way and w/ that restrained, melodic rhythm to back
up your voice - it's a beautiful listen always.
great you found time to get this done for the contest mate! thank you! :)

Very hear felt -->Nice job!

howdy again folks!

some wonderful entries overnight for which i'm very grateful,
the judges and i really have are gonna have to earn our money i adjudicating the contest over the coming week.

so by my dodgy maths, we still about 4.1/4 hours til closing time!!!
there is still time for that old pony of yours to make a charge down the outside in the final straight!!!

i'll be back later today to officially call the close of entries and let you all know
what the plan is re the judging that'll take place in the coming days,
and hopefully, w/ a final announcement date for the winner(s).

thank you gain everyone for making this a joy for so many of us!!!
you bless me and i'm grateful.

Back later!!!!

🧡

... i'll be back later today to officially call the close of entries and let you all know
what the plan is ... thank you gain everyone for making this a joy for so many of us!!!
you bless me and i'm grateful.

Back later!!!!

🧡
By the time I get up tomorrow this'll be over. I just want to thank you for spurring us on because without you, I'd still be hiding in the shadow of my rock.

Last edited:

Such a poignant tune. You did a terrific job with it, BathBird. Nice finger work.

My Blue Heaven - Walter Donaldson
What a fun contest. Thanks so much Jon.
This song has appeared in several films, including:

Soooo nice… 😌🥰

Ha! I was the same way in school—wait til the last minute and switch it into high gear to get the assignment done in the nick of time. 😊 Same with waiting til company is arriving in like one hour and fly around the house, cleaning like a madwoman. 😆
Anyway…
This is such a sweet song and I think you played and sang it perfectly! 😊💌💞

My Blue Heaven - Walter Donaldson
What a fun contest. Thanks so much Jon.
This song has appeared in several films, including:

aaaah, Jim. thank you for bringing along this gem for us mate.
so, so sweet, and also one of my favourites from this era of music.
the way you incorporate the melody into your rhytm playing is always a treat.
thank you for rounding out the contest my brother! :)

And w/ our final entry from Uncle Jim,

the contest is officially at a close!

Again, thank you everyone, from the bottom of my heart for making this such a joy for all of us. :)

The judges and I shall now sequester ourselves in a secret location over the coming days
until such time as we can come to a verdict haha!

As promised we will have our decision(s) made by this time next week at the latest,
so stay tuned folks!

We have received 23 wonderful entries (21 on the you tube playlist, and 2 non you-tube entries)
all of which can be viewed on the links at the bottom of post #1 on page #1 of the thread,
so do please check them out. It's sure worth your while.

Prizes are as follows:

1st prize: Collings UT1 (mahogany) tenor ukulele w/ case

2nd prize: Baton Rouge (solid redwood/splated maple) tenor w/ gig bag

Encouragement Award: your choice of a Uke CD, set of strings or a book

it's been a blast everyone. especially great to see videos from people who normally wouldn't record,
so thank you to all!

results coming w/in 7 days if not earlier.

love and cheers gang!

jon xo

LINK TO original post and playlists:

PLAYLIST:
mountain goat's "CELLULOID OR BUST" ukulele contest

+ ADDITIONAL LINKS FOR 'non-you tube' entries:
1. Kohan Mike - http://www.kohanmike.com/downloads/The_Fishin'_Hole_KohanMike.mp4
2. donboody -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kcB5O2ZFtdogkVczj_Y8Ko8MT_zkhumg/view?usp=drivesdk

Top Bottom