mountain goat's "CELLULOID OR BUST" contest

Howdy sweet people!

The individual judges' results are officially in,
have been aggregated and I can now, w/out further ado,
announce our winning entries. :)

Can I say first how wonderful the contest proved to be, how enjoyable for all of us.
We were really blown away by the quality of every entry submitted over these past 6 weeks.
In fact there was not a single person who did not receive at least a shout out from us
in our deliberations.
We had everything from heartfelt, rough and raw live takes, gorgeous arrangements,
high production audios, gorgeously made video clips, sublime playing and recording and a whole
bunch of fun throughout. So, THANK YOU everyone, you are all awesome. ❤️

1st prize and the recipient of the Collings UT1 mahogany tenor:

BOBJKING

2nd prize and recipient of the Baton Rouge redwood/spalted maple tenor:

CHRIS FRAZER (justaguest)

"Encouragement Award"

WIGGY (Dennis Wiggins)

(to watch these clips again, please right click on the orange name then open in a new tab
and, while you're at it, go and have another listen to the full playlist + 2 on post #1!!!))

The criteria for judging between the 5 judges was not prescribed at all; we each chose our favourites
for subjective reasons but tried to do so in a fair way that acknowledged the lovely qualities
to be found w/in each entry. As I said, 15 of 23 entries received numbered votes
and 10 (including the other 8 entries) received nominations in the encouragement award category.
That's pretty awesome i reckon! ❤️

Thank you folks for making this such a joy, for your beautiful music,
and to my fellow judges who picked up a lot of the slack to make it as fair a contest
as i could have hoped for.

Bob, Chris and Dennis, could you please PM
me w/ an address where your prizes will find you.
(and Wiggy, let me know what gift you might prefer: strings, t-shirt, CD, book, capo etc etc)

love to all!

jon xo

🌻

well done judges - your first and second would have been a coin toss for me - i actually played both of those to a muso mate the other day
thanks for the reason to play Jon
I really enjoyed your Tom Waits cover, you just got it right. Great job! Thanks for posting it so we could all enjoy it!

Congrats to the winners!
It was such an great competition, with amazing entries - and particularly the winning songs. They blew me away when I heard them, and even more when I listened a second time to the playlist a few days ago to have a "recap" before the grand reveal of the winners.

Wow. I've got to say I'm absolutely gobsmacked! I've taken the day off work today and this is just about the best start to a day off imaginable! I really can't quite believe it!
Thank you and well done to everyone who entered the contest and congratulations to the other winners. Obviously a huge thank you to the judges for seeing something worth voting for in my offering and an immensely enormous thank you to Jon for hosting the contest and offering the most unbelievable of prizes!
I'm going to grab a coffee now and try my best to process what's happened...

I really do love this place and everybody here! Thank you all again!

(Have I mentioned that I can't believe it?)

XXX

Thanks for putting the contest on, Jon. Congrats to Bob, Chris and Dennis in particular.

I agree that all of the entries had something special. It is great that a few performers we hadn't seen or heard before, felt inspired to create and share their entries.

I can't wait to see the Collings and the Baton Rouge make an appearance on the Seasons, and the same goes for Dennis, should strings be the choice of prize!

Thank you for the contest Jon, it was great fun and lovely to have the opportunity to join in with something so joyful.

Huge congratulations to Bobjking, Justaguest and Wiggy, and a big well done to the judges for choosing such worthy winners!

This community is such a miracle—such talent, such kindness, such generosity. I loved working on my ridiculous entry, and playing in public for the first time. In fact, this was the first time I’d played for anybody but my husband. Of course it wasn’t about competing, it was (for me) about being willing to put myself out there and look foolish In front of people I trust.

Thanks, Jon.

This community is such a miracle—such talent, such kindness, such generosity. I loved working on my ridiculous entry, and playing in public for the first time. In fact, this was the first time I’d played for anybody but my husband. Of course it wasn’t about competing, it was (for me) about being willing to put myself out there and look foolish In front of people I trust.

Thanks, Jon.
Well Patty, you did such a great job, what a superbly fun entry, thanks a lot for putting yourself out there!!

Top Bottom