Multi-Use "Chameleon" Chords

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Multi-use chords for those of us who like to play in the first position.
Here's a sneak peek. Try playing: 4202, 1205 (yes, it's a stretch), then 2203 or 5455.

-"Chameleon" chord 1: (It is a perfect D7s2.)
Notes: A D E C
gCEA chord shapes: 2204, or 5455

But in chords where some notes are missing or cannot be played with only 4 strings (shown as '- ') it is also a substitution for:

D9-F#
Dm9-F
Dm11-F, G
D9s4-G
D11-F#, G
Am11-G, B
C6/9-G
C13-G, Bb

-"Chameleon" chord 2:
Notes: B D E B
gCEA chord shape: 4202

It can substitute for:
CM9-G, C
E7-G#
Em7-G
G6-G
D6s2-A
D6/9-F#, A

-"Chameleon" chord 3. (It is a perfect Ddim(s2.)
Notes: D Ab E
gCEA chord shape: 1205

It is also:
Ddim7s2-Cb(B)
Ddim9-F, Cb(B)
Dmin9b5-F, C
Gaug9-Gb, Bb

Last edited:
Tell me more! This is very interesting, and I can hear what you're talking about as I try to make these shapes, but what exactly would I do with them?

That is, I'm only starting to think about the chords I see on an arrangement and think, "This would sound better augmented or suspended, and it needs to be second or third position, rather than first position" or something like that.

Maybe that's exactly what you're saying here, and I'm just overwhelmed by all this. LOL Hence me asking, What now?

I figured these out some time back using scales-chords.com/chordid, but what got me started here was the UU Making Fancy Chords Easy podcast. Starting at about 25:00, they discuss decoding chord names, and then at 26:10 briefly discuss "incomplete" chords.

I look through these substitutions when I can't quite get what I want, or don't want, out of the written chord. This I developed because I needed to, and will add a few more when I get time.

<edit> Disclaimer: When I refer to a chord as "perfect" I only mean it has all 3 or 4 of the right notes. They are not necessarily in the correct order.
All of the notes in the chameleons are in the chords they can be a substitute for. However, all of the real chords require at least 5 or 6 notes to be complete. We can only play 4, so they are inherently incomplete.

The missing note(s) won't generally be missed, as they are often found in the melody line.

Last edited:
Here's another, unrelated to the above:

-"Chameleon" chord 4. (It is a perfect F7s2)
Notes: g Eb F C
gCEA chord shapes: 0313

Try playing it against an F7, Bb, and C.

It can be a substitute for:
F9-A
Fm9-Ab
F9sus4-Bb
Eb6/9-Bb
Cm11-Bb

Top Bottom