Music Stands - At It Again

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Now that I've gotten out of the house to play in groups, I devised this:

Musicians Gear Perforated Folding Tripod Stand -$27 Musicians Friend (Nice deep lip to hold a thick book/binder.)
String Swing Mic Stand Clamp-on Guitar Hanger -$14 'zon
Gator Frameworks Mic Stand Clamp-on Hanger (longer arm for tenor) -15 'zon
Gator Frameworks Mic Stand Clamp-on Beverage Holder -$12 'zon
Plastic Hair Claws (to hold pages when breezy.) - Dollar Store

Very compact. Remove Top (optional). Fold Legs. Carry.
Yes, you have to be careful during transport, but it is very stable once set up.
Not suitable for touring. I will not pretend it is :)

Attachments

• Stand '2023 - Front.JPG
    Stand '2023 - Front.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Stand '2023 - Rear.JPG
    Stand '2023 - Rear.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Stand '2023 - Folded Up.JPG
    Stand '2023 - Folded Up.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Hair Clip.JPG
    Hair Clip.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I do something very similar, but I gave up on paper sheets about 8 years and only use an iPad Pro 12.9", which I know are expensive, but works great for me. I also use an AirTurn Manos clamp. I have thousands of song sheets on it, and Apple Pencil makes it so easy to write notes using the forScore app.

I always suggest to get the wrap around style hangers and cup holders because the kind that screws against the shaft inevitably bends the shaft. I actually use two of these larger cup holders, one for water and the other for seven harmonicas.

Stand parts.jpg

Last edited:
I do something very similar, but I gave up on paper sheets about 8 years and only use an iPad Pro 12.9", which I know are expensive, but works great for me. I also use an AirTurn Manos clamp. I have thousands of song sheets on it, and Apple Pencil makes it so easy to write notes using the forScore app.

I always suggest to get the wrap around style hangers and cup holders because the kind that screws against the shaft inevitably bends the shaft. I actually use two of these larger cup holders, one for water and the other for seven harmonicas.
In my neck of the woods, we all kind of agreed on two readily available spiral-bound books for our base library. No computer-ey things required or needed. We all have our personal songs that are not in the books, but these books are used for the group sessions. These are not "jams." These are strum-a-longs.

I still use a #2 pencil and a Pink Pearl for notes and changes.

Open mic sessions (which I have yet to try) are "play and sing what you brung with you" type events. You would be expected to have handouts if you want others to join in during your spot. I dunno. Never been there. Never dunnit. Coming soon, I'm sure.

On those attachments (String Swing) that have a set screw-type clamp, I use 1/4"automotive vacuum caps that slip over the threaded contact end for a non-scratching/denting grip.

Attachments

• Vacuum Caps.JPG
    Vacuum Caps.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OK. I needed a solid tabletop stand, but was too cheap to buy one. I already had the ubiquitous "Swiss Cheese" stand with the removable top, that is available everywhere for about $30. I took the top off the stand. (It can easily be put back on.)

You'll need PEX tubing with an O.D. of about 7/8" cut about 4" to 4-1/4" long, with a 7/8" furniture leg cap. The stand is now convertible.
Solid (Ashford & Simpson) as a rock!

Attachments

• Pex+Cap.JPG
    Pex+Cap.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Assembled.JPG
    Assembled.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Table Top.JPG
    Table Top.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: