My Uke Journey...Hope I'm Still Welcome Here

frets alot

Reaction score
First, let me say that this is such a friendly, helpful and positive forum. Kuddos to the admins and members.

I'm posting here to explain where I ended up on my uke journey and hope you continue to accept me, even though I'm a unique type of "ukulele" player.

I started guitar in 1973. Along the way, I decided to pick up the ukulele...it was a natural thing to do. I tried several tenors and baritones, since the larger sizes fit best with my finger-style. I owned (but sold) many different ukes.

Just recently, I finally realized that I kept going back to the guilele, because I missed those two bass strings on the ukes. My playing style "needed" those two strings. So, after a lot of thought, I decided to sell my final uke and purchase a second Pono guilele, this time a deluxe model.

I'm so happy with my two Pono's! After 50 years of playing with steel strings, I'm loving my fluorocarbon stringed instruments. It's a fun direction for me to take my music, in addition to the guitars. As a bonus, they travel well in our motorhome.

Here's the thing.....I know guileles aren't technically ukulele's, so some may not put me in the same group as all the ukulele players.

This post is not a debate, so let's not go there. I just hope you all feel that I still fit in here, even though I play with a couple extra strings. :)
Don't mind me, I'm just different. 🤪

Last edited:
I like just about anything with strings and frets, so you’ll get no debate from me. I’ve never owned a guilele, mainly because I assumed I didn’t need one having both a uke and guitar. Your post makes me think I should reconsider that. I used to thin the same about ukulele and now it’s my most played instrument.

Glad you found something that suits you well!

I like just about anything with strings and frets, so you’ll get no debate from me. I’ve never owned a guilele, mainly because I assumed I didn’t need one having both a uke and guitar. Your post makes me think I should reconsider that. I used to thin the same about ukulele and now it’s my most played instrument.

Glad you found something that suits you well!
I like anything with frets too!
Thanks....find what you like and have fun. ☺️

I like anything with frets too!
Thanks....find what you like and have fun. ☺️

That's the best attitude to have. I came from a short basic stint with guitar then found the ukulele and took off with it. The social aspect of playing with others at Uke Jams really appealed to me. Come COVID the uke jams were all shut down so I got reacquainted with guitar. Long story short I now play 80% guitar to 20% ukulele so I feel your conundrum. Fortunately uke jams are back up and running and I am performing with others at open mics.

I think you are safe because guilele has "lele" in the name. It has nylon string and 4 of the strings are tuned GCEA.

The social aspect of playing with others at Uke Jams really appealed to me.

I think you are safe because guilele has "lele" in the name. It has nylon string and 4 of the strings are tuned GCEA.
I still go to uke jams! People don't mind the fact that I have 2 extra strings ... either that or they can't count. 🤔😅

What a guitarlele - guitalele isn't a ukulele? It's has ele in its name :cool:
I thought even a Tiple was a ukulele after all it's tuned G, C, E, A. :eek:

Last edited:
IMG_1106.jpeg

I think thats excellent. Enjoy those instruments. All the master series Ponos are excellent with the lattice bracing. Cool. Congrats on the new instrument..

Thats just a 20" scale uke with extra strings. I bet it sounds great !

Thumbs up. (y)
Thanks! I really love my first Pono, and the lattice braced master Pono is even more of a delight. It sounds really nice. I think going to my Pepe Romero fluorocarbons will make it perfect. I'm happy with the two, in different tunings. 😊
(Personally, I think like a few of you....just a baritone uke with 2 extra strings. 👍)

Thanks! I really love my first Pono, and the lattice braced new Pono is even more of a delight. It sounds really nice. I think going to my Pepe Romero fluorocarbons will make it perfect. I'm happy with the two, in different tunings. 😊
(Personally, I think like you....just a baritone uke with 2 extra strings. 👍)
Two very nice instruments with different tunings (y)

You are really going to like that Master Series and with a string change, I bet you will go wow and like it even more !

@frets alot: Based on your username alone, I would welcome you into any group. I smile every time I see it.
Thank you. I'm happy you like it.
I have a similar personalized license plate. I've had people ask why I have such a plate, because they know I'm not a worrier. 😁 I have to explain it. On the other hand, a guitar player asked me about it and didn't get it. :rolleyes:
It's fun here and on my Jeep. :)

I have wrestled with a similar situation. I have ended up embracing the uke again, and the guitar. I couldn’t be happy with just one. I did sell my Guitalele recently to fund a ukulele purchase.

I definitely welcome you! The wonderful vibes here are why I’m back on the underground more regularly. I hope you will be, too! 🙂

Welcome back! Love it here. I too am returning to UU after a long absence from playing ANY instruments, let alone my guitars and eventually my ukes. Or are they ukes? Uke necks, yes, but where's the body on some of those? Look like cigar boxes to me. Can I call that a contrabass, even if it isn't a traditional contrabass, or Ubass as we like to call them? I play and record with my MiSi equipped CBUs more than my trad ukes. Jake Shimabukuro signed my Little Eddie after a show then shredded Eruption on it, so I guess it cool. Hand surgeries enabled my return to making music so I'm busy loading up my new YT channel with some very non-traditional "ukulele music" however you to define it. I'm not the only one obviously, but if I want to run a uke through a talkbox or Leslie speaker, flip it backwards and run that through a harmonizer to get what I'm after, I'm not thinking about it being a uke, but an instrument capable of expression. When I lost the ability to play guitar, I grabbed a nice uke at McCabe's and instantly it was like... Oh... This is laid out like part of a guitar, and I was back in business, playing in a Caribbean band where some of the members were concerned that a uke isn't a Caribbean instrument. They got over it. Then hand disease took over, a ten year pause, and now I'm back. Not sure for how long. Don't worry about labels, rock what you rock!

Have you checked out The Seasons of the Ukulele? Participation in that fun corner of the UU Forums usually stipulates that you play a ukulele for your submission. Nobody quibbles if someone plays a Guitalele with 6 strings. Nobody checks scale length, either. I'd say you're golden with what you got.

I love hybrid ukes. I was blown away years ago by a banjo ukulele at a Cirque Du Soleil show. Then I remembered... Brian May's "Good Company" from Queen's classic album A Night At The Opera, using his dad's old George Formby banjolele.

Last edited:
Top Bottom