My Uke Journey...Hope I'm Still Welcome Here

I felt the same way too. I was worried I wouldn’t be aloud to join in because I mostly play guilele these days. I also come from a guitar background and missed those two extra bass strings and that bass response. I have two of my Romero Creations Tiny Tenor 6 strings tuned A to an and my other in standard E to e tuning. I find I like each tuning equally for different things. I love the voicing of a ukulele so I still find myself only using 4 of the six strings on the A to a from time to time.

First, let me say that this is such a friendly, helpful and positive forum. Kuddos to the admins and members.

I'm posting here to explain where I ended up on my uke journey and hope you continue to accept me, even though I'm a unique type of "ukulele" player.

I started guitar in 1973. Along the way, I decided to pick up the ukulele...it was a natural thing to do. I tried several tenors and baritones, since the larger sizes fit best with my finger-style. I owned (but sold) many different ukes.

Just recently, I finally realized that I kept going back to the guilele, because I missed those two bass strings on the ukes. My playing style "needed" those two strings. So, after a lot of thought, I decided to sell my final uke and purchase a second Pono guilele, this time a deluxe model.

I'm so happy with my two Pono's! After 50 years of playing with steel strings, I'm loving my fluorocarbon stringed instruments. It's a fun direction for me to take my music, in addition to the guitars. As a bonus, they travel well in our motorhome.

Here's the thing.....I know guileles aren't technically ukulele's, so some may not put me in the same group as all the ukulele players.

This post is not a debate, so let's not go there. I just hope you all feel that I still fit in here, even though I play with a couple extra strings. :)
Don't mind me, I'm just different. 🤪

@Towser I'm happy to hear you are loving the guilele too. I'm having a blast with my Pono's.

Romero Creations are wonderful instruments. I'd love to see your pictures, if you get the chance to share.

Like the OP, i'm a (steel string) guitar player who has dabbled a bit with ukes -- first tenors, and then a baritone. l play mostly alternating bass fingerstyle, so i finally decided to tune my baritone to the middle four strings of a guitar (ADGB, low to high) because the chord fingering and tone was more similar to that of a guitar than the usual DGBE baritone uke tuning.

Well, i finally accepted that i didn't want to learn new fingering, but wanted to have a baritone size, so i recently bought a Pono ABD-6 Master class guilele. I chose it with strings suitable for A to A tuning, but within a week the high A string broke. So i'm going to experiment with different strings and a bit lower tuning -- G to G, or maybe re-entrant E to E, or perhaps F# to F# (which is a good fit to my voice).

Ironically, while waiting for the guilele, i continued to dabble with my ADGB tuned baritone, and am liking it more and more, particularly for its compactness and narrow neck. So while i can safely say a baritone size instrument will remain in my future, it may have 4 strings or 6 strings -- or maybe there'll be one of each.

Well, i finally accepted that i didn't want to learn new fingering, but wanted to have a baritone size, so i recently bought a Pono ABD-6 Master class guilele. I chose it with strings suitable for A to A tuning, but within a week the high A string broke. So i'm going to experiment with different strings and a bit lower tuning -- G to G, or maybe re-entrant E to E, or perhaps F# to F# (which is a good fit to my voice).
I love the Pepe Romero UG1 and UG2 fluorocarbon strings for G-g and E-e tunings, respectively.
Congrats on your new Pono!

Top Bottom