my ukulele progress

Hardly anyone “dresses up” anymore these days. It’s a shame. I usta love matching clothes, shining my shoes, getting some kinda “in style“ haircut, and lookin’ gooood. Now, it’s some kinda shorts and a T-shirt and tennis, and one’s ready ta go. They do have hair cuts, but they’re weird!

I know, I know - I‘m ancient and being an old fogey, but I don’t care much for anything, except my books and my music, in today’s life. Bah! Humbug! And git off my lawn!

Last edited:
Aren't you a Dodgers fan as well?
My wife is. She even has a cap! She watches every game, so I either watch (sometimes) or play my music or read. I usta be much more avid, but not so much any more. I think I prefer college football more, but both baseball and football and the Olympics have changed the rules so much that sports doesn’t really interest me that much.

It’s a different world than the one I enjoyed.

Reminds me of that old joke:

A guy goes to his doctor for a check up...

Doc says: Your heart doesn't sound so good...

Guy: Seriously? I think I'm going to need a second opinion...

Doc: Okay... you're also not very good looking!

I just got back from work and I found an email from my luthier. It included a diagram of the upper bout where my cutaway shall be. I am not accustomed to being consulted about specific details of my customs. Usually the luthier just does his thing and I stay out of it. But since he asked, I did have a preference. The swoop of the cutaway begins around the 17th fret. I asked if the swoop could start nearer to the 19th fret so that I could have more access to the high frets. Because this isn't just ornamental; I play all my frets.

I noticed that on the diagram the soundhole was a circle and at the risk of being a butthole I asked if I could get anything aside from a circle. Circles are a bit ubiquitous and boring. That's why Moore Bettah and Hawaiian K brands don't even tempt me: they just look so standard although the sound is glorious. For what I'm spending I just want something a little more unique. But I don't know if different shapes impact the sound or the structural integrity of the wood, or if it would be royal pain in the neck for the luthier to fit a rosette around a weird shape. We'll see what the answer shall be in the future.

I had been a tad remiss in my uxorial duties. My wife was forced to eat her emergency quiche since there was nothing else to eat. I remedied the situation by grilling some chicken thighs coated in salt, pepper, baharat, and oregano

For variety I also threw together a quick stir fry.

It consisted of eggs and rice seasoned with chive, shallots, umami powder, lime, and chinese five spice; chiffonaded collard greens; thin strips of corn tortilla; fresh basil.

It was simple. Just throw in the corn strips. When they're about halfway to crunchiness, throw in the rice. When you start smelling the shallots, throw in the greens to wilt. Then squirt on some soy sauce just because you're supposed to.

I had been a tad remiss in my uxorial duties. My wife was forced to eat her emergency quiche since there was nothing else to eat. I remedied the situation by grilling some chicken thighs coated in salt, pepper, baharat, and oregano

For variety I also threw together a quick stir fry.

It consisted of eggs and rice seasoned with chive, shallots, umami powder, lime, and chinese five spice; chiffonaded collard greens; thin strips of corn tortilla; fresh basil.

It was simple. Just throw in the corn strips. When they're about halfway to crunchiness, throw in the rice. When you start smelling the shallots, throw in the greens to wilt. Then squirt on some soy sauce just because you're supposed to.
You are a very, very kind and caring husband, Ron.

And today I mopped the floors using some Meyer's multi-surface cleaner (geranium-scented). I won't be doing that again just because it is so expensive. Good old Fabuloso works well and is very cheap. Mopping is a big deal in our household because we do it seasonally and it is a big pain to move all the chairs and music stands and litter boxes and even an odd unicycle sitting in the corner collecting dust.

After I make some breakfast, I'm planning on playing around with the Melodic Minor for a while. I haven't done that in a while and I really like how the flat vi impacts my melody-making.

And today I mopped the floors using some Meyer's multi-surface cleaner (geranium-scented). I won't be doing that again just because it is so expensive. Good old Fabuloso works well and is very cheap. Mopping is a big deal in our household because we do it seasonally and it is a big pain to move all the chairs and music stands and litter boxes and even an odd unicycle sitting in the corner collecting dust.

After I make some breakfast, I'm planning on playing around with the Melodic Minor for a while. I haven't done that in a while and I really like how the flat vi impacts my melody-making.
I really like playing in minor keys too. At first I thought I might be depressed.

Boy, ribock, you need a nuther job. I think that would’ve been my last day. A brilliant person like you shouldn’t have a job like that — medical waste? detritus? boiling water? I feel very sorry for you. I hope it pays well.

I’m very sorry if I’ve offended you. I was just really shocked.
Good for you, Ron!
One of my closest and oldest friends graduated college the same year I did, with a BBA in Accounting. He accepted an accounting position with the trucking division of a well known, publicly traded paint manufacturer. During his 3rd month on the job, he became aware of two facts:
1- Regardless of whether an employee was being paid $7.00 an hour or a $75k salary, every one of them was always clamoring for the next payday, many regularly requesting payday advances.
2- Not only the truck drivers but also forklift drivers and warehouse staff were netting higher pay than he was in accounting. Before college, my friend had long worked in carpentry and roofing and was not afraid of manual labor.

Long story short, my common- sense buddy sought a transfer from accounting to warehouse staff and worked in a similar capacity for the next 30 years, all the while steadily buying the company’s stock.

He is now a physically and fiscally fit retired millionaire. Don’t tell him the American Dream is dead, nor that manual labor is a dead end. ;)

Last edited:
I really like playing in minor keys too. At first I thought I might be depressed.
I never understood the minor=sad thing. After all C major has the same notes as A minor. I like the sound of the minor better probably because major is supposed to be the standard. For me minor is the standard with the sharpened third of the major seen as an aberration. My ukulele notebook reflects that. I suppose for me it goes back to the cornerstone of western music, the blues, which is a minor pentatonic. I have a theory that guitar/ukulele is meant to play minor as its natural state. Regardless of that philosophical debate, when I improvise with minors (the scales and not pedophilia) my tunes are called nice by people who hear it. Sometimes it probably sounds a bit exotic such as when I use a minor mode like the Lydian Dominant or Mixolydian b6. Sometimes it sounds pensive but that's more to do with my tempo. I favor slower, more thoughtful phrases.

Top Bottom