NBD: Magic Fluke Timber Bass "2.0"

Hi Jim/all

Greetings from the UK. I'm new to UU but have been playing a Magic Fluke Timber Bass for a couple of years. I have a fretted 2.0 with the Graphtech tuners. I absolutely love it.

However, it was supplied with LaBella roundwounds which are now getting very tired and flattened at the frets. I cannot find any supplier of LaBella roundwounds in the UK (none in stock anywhere).

I have sourced a set of Galli flatwounds but having read the Magic Fluke website (Note: Intonation will be effected when switching from round wound to flat wound strings. It is recommended that the saddle in the bridge be reworked or replaced to accommodate the longer scale needed for the Galli flat wounds.) I'm now reluctant to switch.

Anyone had any experience of switching from roundwound to flatwound on a fretted Timber Bass?

Anyone know where I can get LaBella roundwound Timber Bass strings (I've emailed Magic Fluke and LaBella but not answer yet).

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Where did you read that statement?

You can buy the flats direct from MF: https://magicfluke.com/Galli-Flatwound-Timber-Bass-Strings_p_185.html

i suspect those are not exactly the same strings you'd get to fit, say, a Kala, since the scale is over an inch different
Hi Jim,

Yes, the statement is in the Installation Instructions on that page link. I'm trying to get details from MF regarding what mods are required to the saddle. I just wondered if anyone had experience of this.

Pete

Hi Jim, Yes, the statement is in the Installation Instructions on that page link. I'm trying to get details from MF regarding what mods are required to the saddle. I just wondered if anyone had experience of this. Pete
I've replaced the poly strings with Kala/Galli flatwound nylon core on a number of different bass ukes, 20.5"with standard size and 24" with 23" strings, didn't modify the saddle or nut, works just fine.

Yes, the statement is in the Installation Instructions on that page link. I'm trying to get details from MF regarding what mods are required to the saddle. I just wondered if anyone had experience of this.
oh interesting. The saddle doesn't look to be adjustable so I am interested in what they have to say. I knew I wanted the flats so got it from MF with them pre-installed. I had big intonation issues on the older Timber but that was with the steel core Labella strings and I knew that before I ordered (and was "work around-able" with my fretless). I was under the impression those issues had been resolved with the Galli flats but sounds like maybe not quite.

Top Bottom