Need advice: What tenor 8 string sets do you recommend?

bbkobabe

Reaction score
Hello, UU 8 string fans!

Well, I opened up the case of my Bruce Wei tenor 8 and one of the strings had popped. I only see one set available at Strings by Mail... and I don't want those.

What strings do you like on your 8 string tenor?

Thanks!

Which string? You can buy solos.

I used two sets of Martin M600s for my (concert) taropatch to maintain reentrant tuning.

if you want linear and/or octaves and want a full set change, unless you want Aquilas, you may have to mix and match.

I don't think that there are many 8 string sets available: Nylgut, GHS Nylon, and Worth FC come to my mind, and d'addario may also have a set. Strings by Mail likely has those, so what did you not like about the selection?

Strings by Mail likely has those, so what did you not like about the selection?
I could only find the Aquila nylguts on SBM, but their site is somewhat haphazardly organized so I may need to look more carefully and search around. I sent them an email asking "did I miss something?" asking for help.

I don't think that there are many 8 string sets available: Nylgut, GHS Nylon, and Worth FC come to my mind, and d'addario may also have a set.
The one's you mention are the only things I saw when I searched. I'm wary of the Aquilas... the dropped strings are Aquila reds. I bought a set of Aquila's with a drop g that was a Red string and it snapped right away. I've heard here on UU that Aquila has reformulated the reds and they don't break like this so often but I'm skeptical. No more reds for me.

Which string? You can buy solos.
I thought of that... in fact I think I might even have one somewhere. The one that broke is the high C. It's probably an Aquila and it's 1/32 or .03". I could order just one, but that seems to cost about half of an entire set and misses the minimum for any free shipping possibilities. May as well buy an entire new set unless... it's a single string that breaks frequently. Some instruments do that.

I'm hoping to hear from people who have used these sets and can offer up their experiences.

BTW: The (unknown brand) set that is on there now has a wound low g and c and the rest all appear to be Aquilas (yes, they pass the test). They may have been a custom blended set? Anyone else ever seen a set like this?

I have generally good experience with Aquila red low G and also low A on six string. One lasted several years much longer than any wound, but most also not as long as the regular Nylgut so I always have a bunch of spares around. On Kamaka six string the Nylgut make a very powerful and chimey sound.

I really like the Living Waters fluorocarbon 8-string set on my MP tenor. Available from Uke Republic or direct from Ken Middleton

They are all Plain Strings. (Meaning: no wound G or C in the set.) High & Low G & C plus Double E & A.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone... I'm going with Kenn2018 and I'm going to try the Living Waters set. I like fluoros in general and I've been wanting to try this brand. Just what I needed!

Bloody Hell! I go to Uke Republic and they are sold out.

Well, the good thing with an 8 string is that you can break a string and still play;)

Wow... if I order directly from England it will cost 22 pounds for the strings plus 5 pounds for shipping... ouch. I may need to rethink this... That's over $30 I believe!

Several things. Yes the high C string is susceptible to breaking. Personally I think the instrument sounds just fine without the high C sting and have played my 8 string tenor without a high C string for most of the year in the past. Before you put a high C string back on, make sure that the nut slot and saddle contact point are smooth.

I currently use the Aquila 8 string set with the single red string. My previous set had been on for over a year without any breakages. Eventually I changed them because I just felt it was about time to do so.

Personally I think the instrument sounds just fine without the high C sting and have played my 8 string tenor without a high C string for most of the year in the past. Before you put a high C string back on, make sure that the nut slot and saddle contact point are smooth.
Thanks for the advice... I'm playing mine this way also right now!

The string broke about 1/3 of the way down the neck close to the center so that doesn't appear to be the problem... but thanks for the reminder.

Wow... if I order directly from England it will cost 22 pounds for the strings plus 5 pounds for shipping... ouch. I may need to rethink this... That's over $30 I believe!
Yikes! I haven't bought any for about 2 years. That's a bit steep. Usually got them through Uke republic. If they were out, they'd usually get a new shipment in a week or two later.

I wonder how much of that increase is because of Brexit?

I wonder how much of that increase is because of Brexit?
Might be... things have changed a lot since then.

I'll check back with Uke Republic in a couple of weeks and see if they come back into stock...

Not as if this is my only ukulele! 🤪

Top Bottom