Need an Instructor in Wake Forest NC (or Raleigh)

Crazyviking

Reaction score
I have done some on the internet but need actual help. I have found a couple of places $35 - 45 per half hour. Is there anything in particular I should look for when picking someone to teach me?

Thanks
Norm

The money seems okay. I would say stay away from anyone in Zebulon. Those guys are freaks except where furniture is concerned. but seriously, I would say make sure you are getting what you want. Some instructors will be more about ukulele technique, and some about making music in general. I cannot make a specific recommendation. That would be like saying "go to the Apple Crabtree Mall instead of the Carrboro Mill Mall." That kind of rec. is worthless because it doesn't take you and your interests into account. So in the end I would say to take inventory of yourself and what you want, and then try somebody. If they aren't dogtailing with your desires...then try someone else.

I've never been to an in person uke lesson, but I do follow structured training online. Regardless of whether it's in person or online, the first particular I want to know is how dedicated is this instructor to the ukulele. I've seen many ads for people who teach guitar, banjo, dulcimer, nose whistle, uke, etc. Basically, they know enough to noodle on several instruments and are comfortable calling themselves instructors. Stick with someone who is passionate about the instrument you want to learn.

I've never been to an in person uke lesson, but I do follow structured training online. Regardless of whether it's in person or online, the first particular I want to know is how dedicated is this instructor to the ukulele. I've seen many ads for people who teach guitar, banjo, dulcimer, nose whistle, uke, etc. Basically, they know enough to noodle on several instruments and are comfortable calling themselves instructors. Stick with someone who is passionate about the instrument you want to learn.
Absolutely! The world is filled with instructors who claim knowledge and teaching ability for anything with strings on it...guitar, ukulele, bass, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, lute, etc. If I'm going to lay out my hard-earned money, it's going to be for a teacher who specializes in the ukulele.

It really starts with you... what are you looking to learn with an instructor? What type of music are you play on the ukulele? Are you looking for help with strumming, chord melody, music theory, etc. Perhaps set a few goals or directions that you seek an instructor for, then match the instructor to your needs. Make sure the instructor asks you plenty of questions to understand your wants and figure out if that person can meet them.

Here is a thread detailing one member's experience with taking in-person private lessons:

Top Bottom