Need help with some sort of device to help me repair cracks on my own

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know the general ins and outs of how to repair a crack in a ukulele. I am planning on using glue on the outside, letting it seep in, then I’ll know where I need to be, and go ahead and put cleats in to help hold it closed from the inside. However without removing the back of the instrument, placing them will be tough with fingers that barely fit in a sound hole. I’m looking for some sort of flexible grabber tool that would help me place cleats somewhat accurately inside the instrument. From there, I can use magnets to clamp it down until dry.

Also, what would my best wood material for a cleat be for a koa instrument?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
When I was in college, we used to drill holes in the ceilings of our concrete box dorm buildings so we could hang stuff.

On move out day, we would remove all the anchors and fill the holes with Pepsodent toothpaste, which was a close color match to the painted concrete ceiling.

On second thought, this probably wont help you in this situation.

When I was in college, we used to drill holes in the ceilings of our concrete box dorm buildings so we could hang stuff.

On move out day, we would remove all the anchors and fill the holes with Pepsodent toothpaste, which was a close color match to the painted concrete ceiling.

I’ve done this!

Did that in a condo I rented years ago! All those little holes from pictures? Toothpaste magic!

^ ... UU, where you learn some things new every day :)

It's not uncommon to drill a very tiny hole [the tiniest you can find] through the top where you want to place the cleat. Insert the bare end of a thin (.010" high E) electric guitar string... with a knot/bead through the cleat to pull it up and orient across the crack. (You may want to practice a few times before you put glue on the cleat.) Hold it long enough for the glue to start setting up. When done, push the string back inside for removal.

Attachments

• Cleat in Keiko.JPG
    Cleat in Keiko.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I made this tool to place magnets under the top of a guitar without removing the back. I also made a miniature edition for ukuleles and mandolins.

The cleat is fastened to the magnet with wax
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Top Bottom