Strings Neighboring string wants to sing along

HowieJim

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and just got my second uke, a Kala Ziricote baritone. My first is a concert. The baritone (which is restrung to be GCEA, high G, IOW typical reentrant tuning) is beautiful and sounds nice, but my wife, an experienced guitarist, noticed a problem. When I pluck the A string, the E string vibrates very faintly. What's going on here? Is the NuBone saddle transmitting the sound? Can this be fixed?

I'm a newbie and just got my second uke, a Kala Ziricote baritone. My first is a concert. The baritone (which is restrung to be GCEA, high G, IOW typical reentrant tuning) is beautiful and sounds nice, but my wife, an experienced guitarist, noticed a problem. When I pluck the A string, the E string vibrates very faintly. What's going on here? Is the NuBone saddle transmitting the sound? Can this be fixed?
That's what strings do!

Your A string note is a mixture of the A plus various harmonics - the strongest of these will be the 5th note of the A scale, or an E. So your E string vibrates a little too.

I'm sure your wife's guitar also does this, but as she's an experienced player she probably damps her E string if she doesn't want the harmonic to ring it too, maybe without realising that she's doing that.

Damping strings which you don't want to sound is part of playing any stringed instrument, and you'll learn it in time.

Top Bottom