"New" Beatles track just released

EDW

Reaction score
This is one of the tracks the 3 remaining Beatles tried to work on in the 90s for the Anthology project, but gave up due to technical problems. They were able to finally complete it.

This gives the backstory

They were able to finally complete it.
This is really an interesting moment in history because now AI companies can reproduce music through iterative resampling. New Beatles music! New Judy Garland music! New Mozart and Bach! Why not? Just use the stuff already created; heck, don't have to pay musicians anymore...

The difference here is that the members of the group were part of the process. The AI technology was used to fix problems that existed in the poor sound quality of the original sound source.

It is not as if they used AI to write a song in the style of the group or replicate the sound of one of the players, although there are examples online of people doing that.

I like it, though I can hear the technology used. When I buy it, I'm going to put it in Audacity on my MacStudio and see what it sounds like in the same key sped up. I have a feeling I'm going to like it better.

It doesn't really sound like a Beatles song
I would find it hard to say what a "Beatles song" sounds like. If one compares their music over the course of their career, it grew, changed and developed so much. I was listening to an interview with Giles Martin (producer and son of their legendary producer, George Martin) who talked about the project to remix the Revolver sessions. He pointed out that every track is so different, it sounds like 8 different bands. Compare their tracks over their career and the huge variety becomes even greater.

I would find it hard to say what a "Beatles song" sounds like.
I don't. I would say they sound fantastic, they make the hair on your neck stand up and dance around, they make you think, they make you dream, and the music is exciting and unexpected...no matter what album they are on. And this song isn't that.

....If one compares their music over the course of their career, it grew, changed and developed so much. I was listening to an interview with Giles Martin (producer and son of their legendary producer, George Martin) who talked about the project to remix the Revolver sessions. He pointed out that every track is so different, it sounds like 8 different bands. Compare their tracks over their career and the huge variety becomes even greater.
Plus, I think the song was written in 1978, a few years after the split.

Reactions: EDW
I don't. I would say they sound fantastic, they make the hair on your neck stand up and dance around, they make you think, they make you dream, and the music is exciting and unexpected...no matter what album they are on. And this song isn't that.
I'd like to see the dance done for Revolution 9. :) "Number 9, number 9...."

So far N&T gets a thumbs up from me, but I plan to listen with headphones tonight. Lots of layers to digest. I heard the snippet from Because but not from Eleanor Rigby or Here There and Everywhere. Got to listen more closely. Had anyone found those yet?

Considering what they had to work with, this is pretty amazing. The new technology really helped overcome what were obvious limitations when they recorded Free as a Bird and Real Love. I still think FaaB just plods along, but at the time, what could they do? I like N&T much better.

I also like the choice to use Paul's senior citizen voice along with John's younger voice. Now and then.
Lots of other included now and then references, I think, but I haven't had a chance to pick them all out yet.
Fun to be had listening with headphones!

I like it enough to plunk down the money for the CD single, which I didn't do for FaaB or RL.

Tick, tock, tick, tock. No need for a drummer, just a loud metronome. No guitar solo? Repeating the melody twice is not a solo. The vocals sound bored, like they can't wait to get it over with and leave.

Oh well. My two favorites Beatles are Nowhere Man and Taxman.

I ran it through Audacity and I definitely like it better faster. I went from 248 seconds to 183 seconds, about a 35% increase in speed.

It doesn't really sound like a Beatles song. It sounds kind of bland and vanilla all the way through without anything really exciting going on. Just a boring song with the beatles singing and playing along.

That was my reaction when I listened to the song earlier today. I do appreciate everything that went into the making of this release, but, for me, something is missing. It just doesn’t have that unique energy (for lack of a better word) that they always created when they were together, an energy that their previous recordings always managed to capture. Is it too soporific? Not enough tension? I don’t know. Guess I was hoping it would be more than the sum of it’s parts. And disappointed that it isn’t.

It's an interesting development but I've listened to it once and have no wish to hear it again. If it were not for the Beatles provenance and the interesting way the recording was created, would it have caught the world's attention? I think not.

It doesn't sound like a Beatles song to me. It sounds just like what it is, a post-Beatles John. He had the feels one day and decided to write a song about it, not particularly deep or all that interesting. The whole process behind making the song finally happen is much more so. I think I like it best among the three "John resurrected" songs, the prior two kind of spoiled by producer Jeff Lynn's ELO-ification.

This is one of the tracks the 3 remaining Beatles tried to work on in the 90s for the Anthology project, but gave up due to technical problems. They were able to finally complete it.

This gives the backstory

Never been a big Beatles fan (although I've been obsessed with MANY bands who are obviously very heavily influenced by them), but I really dig this song, and the backstory left me feeling better about the AI component of the project. Could this be one of the best, least potentially dangerous uses of AI that we'll see in our lifetimes?

Agree !00% about it being a post-Beatles John, but I'd take Free as a Bird over Now and Then any day, as it had George's support when he was able to give it, which wasn't the case with Now and Then. I don't know what it is about Jeff Lynne's production that I don't like, as I have no objection to it on the Wilburys or Jeff's own work, at all, but it's there on Dave Edmunds' albums, Information, and Riff Raff too, where Dave Edmunds' production on the Everly Brothers' EB84 is much more deft and lighter, despite Jeff Lynne's presence on the album, too.
Re: Jeff Lynn. In the case of the Lynn-produced Beatles songs, I think he injected too much of himself into the production with his ELO pastiches when he really needed to step back and use his powers to make the songs sound like a total Beatles project. He had no business injecting his sound into those songs. Fans want to hear the Beatles, not ELO.

It’s a fine song, but it sounds like a John Lennon song with added tracks (by some damn good musicians and arrangers). Is there any suggestion Lennon intended this to be part of some reunion project? If not, why call it a Beatles song (OK, I know why … )?

It’s a fine song, but it sounds like a John Lennon song with added tracks (by some damn good musicians and arrangers). Is there any suggestion Lennon intended this to be part of some reunion project? If not, why call it a Beatles song (OK, I know why … )?
We do know that Lennon's estate (Yoko) did intend for this to be part of a reunion project. Yoko gave the cassette to the then remaining 3 for that purpose.

Supposedly, (who knows what is true), the cassette was marked "For Paul". Some say John wrote that and others think maybe Yoko wrote that.

So, what do you all think about Peter Jackson's music video? I thought that was more disappointing than the song but I'm not sure why I was disappointed in the video. I'll have to watch it again.

Top Bottom