New , Enya Smart Tuner , Metronome & String Winder

DJ Mango

Reaction score
Just noticed that Enya has recently released an auto tuner

61iBFFwF16L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm pretty sure that none of these automatic tuners work with friction tuners, or even with planetary tuners.

Amazon sells a lot of different brands of smart tuners. The Enya is only $40. All of the others are $75 and up. Roadie is the most well known brand and sells for $130. These things might make sense in an elementary school where the teacher needs to tune the whole classroom's instruments at least once every day.

I hope this does not make me sound like a snob, but most of the people I see using these would benefit from learning to tune by ear.

It seems like a strange thing to buy something for convenience if it could make you you depend on it.

I hope this does not make me sound like a snob, but most of the people I see using these would benefit from learning to tune by ear.

It seems like a strange thing to buy something for convenience if it could make you you depend on it.
I'm curious, how much training and practice did you need to learn to accurately tune by ear?

I'm curious, how much training and practice did you need to learn to accurately tune by ear?
I started playing guitar many years before tuners became available and all it took was a friend to show me once how it's done and that was it. However it sure helps to have a quiet environment.

But you cannot keep it on your headstock once you're done tuning up I guess 😁 .

Not that long? I had been playing maybe three or four years before, but my ability to play along with things improved so much faster after I learned that skill.

It really isn't that hard. 2nd fret on 4th string, 9th fret on 3rd string and 5th fret on 2nd string.

Just ordered one and will eventually compare it to my Jowoom T2 smart tuner which has been my favorite tuner thus far for school settings.

The Roadie models work well, too, but I would suggest them for people with a few ukuleles to tune (personal use) rather than school use.

None of these work with friction tuners or planetary tuners.

Just ordered one and will eventually compare it to my Jowoom T2 smart tuner which has been my favorite tuner thus far for school settings.

The Roadie models work well, too, but I would suggest them for people with a few ukuleles to tune (personal use) rather than school use.

None of these work with friction tuners or planetary tuners.
My roadie works well for me, but I don’t use it for tuning school instruments. I generally use the winding feature during string changes of this instruments though. And then keeping all the different tunings I use in class, that’s where the Roadie really comes in handy!

My roadie works well for me, but I don’t use it for tuning school instruments. I generally use the winding feature during string changes of this instruments though. And then keeping all the different tunings I use in class, that’s where the Roadie really comes in handy!
I totally agree with this; I have not tried the version 3 Roadie, but Version 2 would have lots of “accidental spins.” When I contacted Roadie, they said I should have a profile for each ukulele, and I was tuning over 60 ukuleles multiple times per day at the time.

Therefore, I’ll absolutely recommend the Roadie to individuals. 100%. Then you can personalize the profile for each ukulele you own. The USB C charging on Version 2 would be a bonus, too.

I have a Roadie Coach that was sent to me which I have been working with for a review and to use in reviews.

The Jowoom is just a rock star for a class set…auto tune works exceptionally well and allows me to tune 40 ukuleles in less than 10 minutes (different school, different set of ukuleles) and the batteries last forever. And I can tune while teaching, talking, or while others are playing. The only negative is the USB charger isn’t USB C. I also haven’t been able to reach my contact at Jowoom since the start of COVID. I did see The Jowoom tuners listed super-affordably on AliExpress.

I’m excited to try the Enya. That kind of came out of left field for me…and shocking to see the post content above from Peripole, who I do some clinics for (usually they let me know about new products in the ukulele world).

Top Bottom