New jumbo body concert from CARAMEL🤔

It's pleasant to play and sing with because it is not overly loud - doesn't bury your voice when vigorously strumming. I like the sustain. If Caramel would improve on the finish (neck join with top, dimples, inclusions, maybe a thinner gloss) they'd have real winners. As-is, I'm enjoying it.

<edit 26-Apr> Totally digging the Richlite fretboard!

Last edited:
It's pleasant to play and sing with because it is not overly loud - doesn't bury your voice when vigorously strumming. I like the sustain. If Caramel would improve on the finish (neck join with top, dimples, inclusions, maybe a thinner gloss) they'd have real winners. As-is, I'm enjoying it.
Exactly what I wish. Not a deal breaker, but wishful thinking lol

Exactly what I wish. Not a deal breaker, but wishful thinking lol
Yeppers definitely! I gave in and did a little nut mod and put it baby bari strings on yesterday! It worked! Well, maybe not so much for a true baritone sound but I'm having fun with it ;)

The Fish Arrived!
$50 including tax and shipping! How do they do that?
IMG_7436.jpeg

It’s actually very nice.
BUT I still don’t think that looks like a fish!!?

It looks like fall leaves.

Based off these couple reviews, I bought one of each of the open sound hole models for student ukes. I'll let you all know how they compare when they arrive.
I wanted to report back on my findings on the 3 different ukes. As I expected based on all laminate bodies, they all sound about the same. Not loud but a decent starter uke for my students. They are very well finished and the 18 to 1 ratio tuners are super smooth. For looks, you get a lot of great grains for the price.

As for cases as someone asked, they fit snuggly in some foamshell cases, and also in some tenor hardshell cases. I say some because case interiors vary greatly by maker.

Not too loud, good intonation, and doesn't interrupt my low-level 'feeling out the vocals' practicing.
It fits my "personal" bill.

So now that some of you have had more time with these and the "newness factor" has passed, how are they holding up in your eyes and ears? Is the lower bout on these really almost 10"?! With such a large body it would seem that these ukes should be somewhat loud, resonant and have nice low end tones. That blonde curly maple is sure pretty and kind of tempting.

So now that some of you have had more time with these and the "newness factor" has passed, how are they holding up in your eyes and ears? Is the lower bout on these really almost 10"?! With such a large body it would seem that these ukes should be somewhat loud, resonant and have nice low end tones. That blonde curly maple is sure pretty and kind of tempting.
I still play it all the time. Tends to be the uke I pull out to play most of the time. Partly because other ukes I have, I don’t wanna bring out when my kids are around lol, but also because it’s a great sounding/playing uke. I thought it would be super loud at first as well having that larger lower bout, but it’s not as loud as you’d think. It’s also not quiet by any means. It has great volume, tone is great, and the set up is honestly top notch out the box. The tuners being buttery smooth and accurate, the perfect action set up from factory (IMO), and the recessed G and A stings from the sides of the fretboard is amazing. I’d say pull the trigger and get one of em to see for yourself😎 if you do t like it, Amazon returns are always a breeze

I still play it all the time. Tends to be the uke I pull out to play most of the time. Partly because other ukes I have, I don’t wanna bring out when my kids are around lol, but also because it’s a great sounding/playing uke. I thought it would be super loud at first as well having that larger lower bout, but it’s not as loud as you’d think. It’s also not quiet by any means. It has great volume, tone is great, and the set up is honestly top notch out the box. The tuners being buttery smooth and accurate, the perfect action set up from factory (IMO), and the recessed G and A stings from the sides of the fretboard is amazing. I’d say pull the trigger and get one of em to see for yourself😎 if you do t like it, Amazon returns are always a breeze
Same here. Because it's laminate I leave mine out on a stand and grab it daily. I know it's not supposed to work, but I have mine strung with baby bari strings and I really enjoy playing it that way. It's super resonant and has lovely sustain with those particular strings. It's not perfect, it's not my Pono bari, but in the privacy of my home- it works!

These are decent ukes for what they are.

It is still within arm's reach and has a nice feel and sound (harmonization and intonation) for grab-and-bang-around on a moment's notice. No fear of cosmetic damage, good string balance, average loudness, and doesn't go whacko when strummed or plucked hard. A good general-purpose uke at an entry-level price.

Strung it for reentrant baritone.
It easily fits in a Lanikai concert gig bag - those are well-padded and roomy.

<edit1> I am no fan of gloss, but somehow I find the feel of this acceptable.

<edit2> Update: 7 Jun, 2024
Stings have settled. This $100 uke has no business sounding and playing this good. It is definitely my new "banger."

Last edited:
Top Bottom