Done! New members and marketplace

A suggestion that has been implemented and is available

EDW

Reaction score
It seems there have been a number of instances of brand new members posting questionable or bogus sale listings in the marketplace. Perhaps there should be a waiting period and a number of postings required before new members are able to post in the marketplace.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It seems there have been a number of instances of brand new members posting questionable or bogus sale listings in the marketplace. Perhaps there should be a waiting period and a number of postings required before new members are able to post in the marketplace.
I agree. There is already plenty of other media/ platforms for selling instruments.

We're a community, so I don't think that a handful of posts is an unreasonable requirement. If you want to sell a uke without being part of a community, there are a gazillion places to do that. Facebook, eBay, Reverb, so many more. We're different than those markets are, so we should have a different standard than "Sign in and start selling."

I also think that the situation is changing. Even a year ago, I'd have said, nah, we got it... but now, it feels like the bar needs to be higher. Nobody's coming in to fake being buyers, but the number of fake sellers is up dramatically. If it doesn't seem that way to some of you, I assure you that it's because we're catching quite a few of these before you're seeing them.

Someone mentioned in a private message that other musical instrument community forums only allow paying members to post. Our VIP membership starts at $5, which I also find reasonable for NEW posters. Note that I would never consider this for people who've already been in the scene of course...but it really is clear to me that the bar needs to be higher for me members who want to sell than it is now.

Maybe even offer an option for new members who want to sell: "Five posts or $5", or something.

I also suggested a while ago that we should have badges of a sort, like where it says "Staff" under my name, to indicate that the person has participated in a successful transaction, and the only way to get a badge is for the other person in the transaction to nominate you... or something.

I haven't fleshed out the idea enough to propose something more specific, but that too is a part of other communities, where your profile page includes reviews from people who've been in transactions with.

I respect that the folks IN the Marketplace are doing a phenomenal job MANAGING the Marketplace, and I've intentionally deferred to you. I'm not suggesting that you're not doing the job well enough. I'm saying that you need help. We have a lot of tools on the basic mod side of things that tell us a lot, including email addresses and IP addresses, and I'd say we block 30 new spam accounts for every "real" account and we STILL miss some.

Spammers are getting cleverer and more frequent, and they're obviously ramping up their moves into the ukulele world. There are some easy, basic safeguards we can put in place, so let's do it.

Thoughts on specifics?

Last edited:
We're a community, so I don't think that a handful of posts is an unreasonable requirement. If you want to sell a uke without being part of a community, there are a gazillion places to do that. Facebook, eBay, Reverb, so many more. We're different than those markets are, so we should have a different standard than "Sign in and start selling."

I also think that the situation is changing. Even a year ago, I'd have said, nah, we got it... but now, it feels like the bar needs to be higher. Nobody's coming in to fake being buyers, but the number of fake sellers is up dramatically. If it doesn't seem that way to dinner of you, I assure you that it's because we're catching quite a few of these before you're seeing them.

Someone mentioned in a private message that other musical instrument community forums only allow paying members to post. Our VIP membership starts at $5, which I also find reasonable for NEW posters. Note that I would never consider this for people who've already been in the scene of course...but it really is clear to me that the bar needs to be higher for me members who want to sell than it is now.

Maybe even offer an option for new members who want to sell: "Five posts or $5", or something.

I also suggested a while ago that we should have badges of a sort, like where it says "Staff" under my name, to indicate that the person has participated in a successful transaction, and the only way to get a badge is for the other person in the transaction to nominate you... or something.
I haven't fleshed out the idea enough to propose something more specific, but that too is a part of other communities, where your profile page includes reviews from people who've been in transactions with.

I respect that the folks IN the Marketplace are doing a phenomenal job MANAGING the Marketplace, and I've intentionally deferred to you. I'm not suggesting that you're not doing the job well enough. I'm saying that you need help. We have a lot of tools on the basic mod side of things that tell us a lot, including email addresses and IP addresses, and I'd say we block 30 new spam accounts for every "real" account and we STILL miss some.

Spammers are getting cleverer and more frequent, and they're obviously ramping up their moves into the ukulele world. There are some easy, basic safeguards we can put in place, so let's do it.

Thoughts on specifics?
I like the idea of badges, maybe coloring them by the number of transactions or the years of membership. I especially like the idea of a minimum number of posts before creating a transaction.

I also suggested a while ago that we should have badges of a sort, like where it says "Staff" under my name, to indicate that the person has participated in a successful transaction, and the only way to get a badge is for the other person in the transaction to nominate you
Personally I’m not so keen on the badge idea. It feels like it takes value away from the community and simply places it on to the number of transactions, like eBay or something. There are several well known and highly regarded members on here that hardly ever, if at all, sell instruments in the marketplace, it just doesn’t quite make sense to me that they’d have a low rating compared to someone who maybe only interacts with UU in order to sell their stuff.

As someone who reads the forum daily and has purchased through the marketplace, but doesn't post frequently, I'm still in favor of a minimum post count to sell. There is precedence for this is many other forums I've visited for other hobbies. The requirement to put in even a minimum amount of effort before selling does seem to deter scammers and those joining the forum with the sole purpose of making a one time sale. I think the latter is actually the more common problem.

I'm not a huge fan of needing to post 5 or pay $5. If a scammer stands to get 100s (or more), $5 is a pretty small price to pay for "credibility". Maybe a requirement could be a certain minimum number of posts that also includes one introducing themselves.

Someone mentioned in a private message that other musical instrument community forums only allow paying members to post. Our VIP membership starts at $5, which I also find reasonable for NEW posters.
I have seen some forums that operate that way where marketplace ads are limited. On one it is possible to pay a small amount as you mention for a one month "trial" membership.

I'm not for putting constraints on new members because they are new.
I agree that we hope to encourage people who wish to be a member of an online community about the uke and about music. My concern is really with those who just show up to make a sale, sometimes a scam. Those things I suggested (post count, time period) would give a person time to establish themselves as a legitimate participant here.

I'm new to this forum but I'll throw in a suggestion.
I find paywalls discriminatory and relying on the number of messages favors heavy writers but spammers are good at it.
As it happens, an endorsement mechanism is already present (the like button). If you need to limit access to those who are trustworthy you could look at the number of likes received. Among other things, it would be a modular mechanism as it is easy to increase or decrease the number of likes requested to access.
It's just an idea.

Since it seems to be the same-dayers being referred to here, can't join and post an ad the same day (or some time period)...no $, no minimum posts. JAT. Feedback is helpful but can leave out the new member/seller (if you have no feedback, how do you get feedback?).

I find paywalls discriminatory

I'd be curious to hear more about your perspective here. I find many paywalls annoying, but the thought that this proposal could be discriminatory didn't cross my mind

l personally would happily pay a $5 fee to sell an instrument here, which would be a tiny percentage of the value of the sale. This is also hugely preferably for me to selling on other markets like Reverb (5% of sale) or eBay (>5% of sale last time I sold). I have also seen this precedent in other forums where any member has to pay a small fee to sell. I think what's being suggested in this thread is a very reasonable deterrent.

I'd be curious to hear more about your perspective here. I find many paywalls annoying, but the thought that this proposal could be discriminatory didn't cross my mind
oh, it's easy to explain (I'm referring to paywalls in general): if you can afford to pay you can access otherwise not. Thus are discriminatory.

oh, it's easy to explain (I'm referring to paywalls in general): if you can afford to pay you can access otherwise not. Thus are discriminatory.
The site would be open and welcome in other areas, but not for selling. As Shaw mentions above, the fee could be far less than ebay or reverb fees. If one was coming here to sell instruments, it would make sense since the site is providing the service and visibility, especially if that was the sole reason for joining.

Now it's getting complicated, or at least more to think through. How much would the fee be? Based on price or flat? More if it actually sells? Even if it's $1 to post (what about non-US sellers?), I don't think there's currently any infrastructure to collect the $ (see free stickers).

The site would be open and welcome in other areas, but not for selling. As Shaw mentions above, the fee could be far less than ebay or reverb fees. If one was coming here to sell instruments, it would make sense since the site is providing the service and visibility, especially if that was the sole reason for joining.
to be honest I have no interest in the matter as I have nothing to sell or buy. Surely it would be right for those who actually use the marketplace to decide and the paywall is an idea like any other. I was only speaking on principle.

Reactions: EDW
I would be in favor of a time requirement (a "probationary" membership) before being able to sell. I think a post requirement would perhaps encourage fluff posts that no one really wants to wade through. If sellers are charged some sort of fee, that would need to be accounted for in terms of income by UU, along with perhaps a host of other headaches for mods/admins.

To me the simplest solution would be just no sales in the first month, three months, six months, whatever... of joining. As others have said, if someone needs to legitimately sell quickly, there are multiple other avenues. I see UU as a community with the Marketplace as a nice add-on. It is not intended as primarily a place to buy and sell.

This is all IMO, sorry I got kind of blow-hardy!

I'm personally in favor of a certain number of posts- not in favor of the $5.00 "membership" fee, as that's an easy bar to leap for a scammer. The privalage of selling on here should be for people who have proven themselves over time to be actual trustworthy members. Especially with the increase in scamming.

Top Bottom