"New: old guitar, SWMBO is unhappy.

bobinde

Reaction score
However, I did get it. It is an old (mid 60's, according to the info I was able to get from Google, etc.) Yamaha FG-75. Parlor sized, maybe a touch larger, found it at a Yard Sale. No strings or bridge pins, but the saddle was ther4e and in good shape. Apparently, someone had put stickers or whatever on it, there was residue all over. after about an hour with an old t-shirt and some rubbing alcohol (and three Kona beers :drool::drool:), it looked pretty good! some wear around the sound hole, a few scuffs on the back & sides and a medium sized nick oh the headstock. The Truss rod cover is AWOL.

Moving along, installed the strings (d"Adddario Extra Light Bronze), tuned it up and it sounded TERRIBLE! Tinny, no sustain, etc. And I was not a Happy Camper. So, I thought, "Give it to the Salvation Army Thrift Store." Well the next morning, I decided to try again and it sounded like a different guitar! Sustain forever, clear, bright, just lovely! Haven't the slightest idea why, bit I'm not going to complain! And SWMBO said, "It's pretty, but why another guitar?"

Long story shortened, it's now four days later and the sound has gotten a bit better (richer) and the action hasn't changed. I didn't need to lower or raise the action and the nut is not worn hardly at all.

So, for about an hour and a half, $15.00 and some elbow grease, I've got a nice guitar! I think I'm going to use it to learn Slack Key.

Life is Good.

Bobinde

I bought a early red label FG-75 a few years ago hoping to get a decent cheaper parlor sized guitar. It had a decent sound but the action a really high and needed a neck reset and was tough to play due to the neck problem. It wasn't worth doing a neck reset so I just sold it. I think I originally paid $75 for it. What made me look at this brand of parlor size is that I've always heard good things about the early red label FG models made in Japan. I have a red label FG-180 that I really like and it is one of the more sought after red label models but it is a bigger size then the parlor and I paid more like $400 for it but it was worth it.
Congrats to you on getting a good one.

Markr1:

Thanks for your input. I had a Red Label 180 Way Back When and I still could kick myself for getting rid of it. I traded it plus $200.00 for a 1965 Gibson Hummingbird back around 1968 - 1969 or thereabouts.

I'm looking forward to what the FG 75 will sound like in a few years!

bobinde

Top Bottom