New project

Timbuck

Reaction score
I'm working with my Son Mike on a different design soprano based on several requests for a uke other than the standard style 0 Martin that I do ... This one will be the same scale but with a 17 fret fingerboard the neck joining the body at the 14th fret (Not a Concert neck on a soprano body) ... a solid Mahogany body with solid linings and a bolt on neck joint...and the neck will be slightly wider at the nut for fat fingered players like me :) it's going to be a mixture of vintage and modern features.
At the moment I'm building a prototype body shell the hard way by hand bending on the pipe and clamping without jigs ... While Mike is busy producing the first CNC generated neck ... He is also designing the moulds and profiles on CAD ready for CNC production of parts to be assembled and finished by hand....the name for this soprano will most likely be "The Timzy" :) I've decided to retire on a high note.

More to follow later including pics .

Last edited:
That is exciting news. I am looking forward to seeing it as it progresses and hearing the final result

This sounds very interesting indeed. I will enjoy following the project as it develops. (y)

Reactions: EDW
Side soundport makes the bolt install easier to do visually
Amen. I’m not even in the ballpark of a Luthier but per direct experience, I strongly agree. The unexpected benefit of cutting Yowling Tom’s slot-style side soundport was that it has made lots of things easier, starting with a clear, now- well- lighted view of the soundbox, lack of kerfing & larger- than- strictly- necessary bridge plate.

My 2 cents for what I like about modern uke builds
1. Side sound port
2. String through bridges and the Martin style bridge has an epidemic of the a string slot coming apart. I have seen this in vintage Martin, modern martins and even fluke plastic bridges.
3. Zero fret
4. Cantilever fretboard. Rick Turner and Ono ukes use them and for smaller body ukuleles I feel this will bridge the tone gap between 12 fret fretboard vs 17 fret ones.

I'm not intending to make a modern design, there's plenty of those on the market already ... I'm trying to keep the vintage look and sound and make it easier to assemble and make the playability better by bolt joining the 17 fret neck at the 14th instead of 12th and keeping the bridge position and internal volume the same... I've decided to keep the kerfed linings as well as I don't like the look of the solid ones... here it is alongside of the style 0 shape...the neck shown is just a CNC test piece made from an old fence post ... the real one (still in final design stage) will be in mahogany with a rosewood fret board.

Last edited:
This one will be the same scale but with a 17 fret fingerboard the neck joining the body at the 14th fret (Not a Concert neck on a soprano body)
Maybe I am confused since these terms often get thrown around randomly. What is the difference between the two?

I'm not intending to make a modern design, there's plenty of those on the market already ... I'm trying to keep the vintage look and sound and make it easier to assemble and make the playability better by bolt joining the 17 fret neck at the 14th instead of 12th and keeping the bridge position and internal volume the same... I've decided to keep the kerfed linings as well as I don't like the look of the solid ones... here it is alongside of the style 0 shape...the neck shown is just a CNC test piece made from an old fence post ... the real one (still in final design stage) will be in mahogany with a rosewood fret board.

IMG_6021 by Ken Timms,
Ah! I get it now. Looking forward to the results!

A soprano scale uke with the neck joining the body at the fourteenth fret, instead of at the traditional twelfth fret, is still a soprano. I just means that the bridge will be closer to the sound hole by the equivalent distance of those two frets and there is a bit more room for fingering at the dusty end of the fretboard.

Reactions: EDW
Body looks a bit wider, esp in the waist, like a Martin/Ditson dreadnought shape. I'm sure it will be wonderful.
I agree - it's a more mature shape. With Ken's ukes, wonderful comes as standard. :cool:

ps. I applaud the use of kerfed linings. Even if there is no discernible advantage over plain strips, it indicates a product that is a notch above - in fact lots of notches!

Last edited:
A soprano scale uke with the neck joining the body at the fourteenth fret, instead of at the traditional twelfth fret, is still a soprano. I just means that the bridge will be closer to the sound hole by the equivalent distance of those two frets and there is a bit more room for fingering at the dusty end of the fretboard.
The bridge is still in the same place John ..the two fret distance is shorter at the neck end bout... if you know what I mean...so the bridge stays in the sweet spot.

Top Bottom