New Wood Day

This set is going to make the prettiest kindling ever. It was 38 degrees this morning here in NorCal.

One of the strangest things about the astronomical price of highly figured koa that most of us builders covet is that the less figured, generally lighter weight and less dense wood is better tonewood, especially when it is used for a top instead of curly koa. Kind of makes a dent in the professed philosophy that we are trying to make the best sounding instruments. Unfortunately I stand guity as charged too on that one. Probably way upwards of 75% of uke buyers don't actually play, so looks rule!

That's spectacular. The biggest shame is that by cutting out the shape you are leaving behind some outstanding figure and color. Maybe make a cigar box shape, just joking.......kinda.

Last edited:
One of the strangest things about the astronomical price of highly figured koa that most of us builders covet is that the less figured, generally lighter weight and less dense wood is better tonewood, especially when it is used for a top instead of curly koa. Kind of makes a dent in the professed philosophy that we are trying to make the best sounding instruments. Unfortunately I stand guity as charged too on that one. Probably way upwards of 75% of uke buyers don't actually play, so looks rule!
As in, don't REALLY play the instrument very much, or don't play at all?

It would be very cool to see the results of a survey of uke owners playing habits. I would predict, with no facts to go on, that the more expensive the uke is, the less it gets played. Do people who pay $6,000, $8,000, $10,000 + for ukes actual sit around and plink on them. My guess is not much!

It would be very cool to see the results of a survey of uke owners playing habits. I would predict, with no facts to go on, that the more expensive the uke is, the less it gets played. Do people who pay $6,000, $8,000, $10,000 + for ukes actual sit around and plink on them. My guess is not much!
I am sure you're right! That is quite depressing though. Mine all get used - a lot!

My most expensive is a Moore Bettah that I acquired last year. It is my lowG daily player and sits out on a stand next to another (not a MB) strung highG. I like looking at it as it is a beautiful work of art, but I like playing it even more. It is great to look at, but even better to feel and hear!

I am of the opposite nature to the contention that a more expensive ukulele is played less. Every time I upgraded the "cheaper" ukulele went by the wayside. There may be collectors that don't play them, but if they wanted beautiful art, they are likely buying art that is not a musical instrument (and stated without evidence, too).

My most expensive is a Moore Bettah that I acquired last year. It is my lowG daily player and sits out on a stand next to another (not a MB) strung highG. I like looking at it as it is a beautiful work of art, but I like playing it even more. It is great to look at, but even better to feel and hear!

I am of the opposite nature to the contention that a more expensive ukulele is played less. Every time I upgraded the "cheaper" ukulele went by the wayside. There may be collectors that don't play them, but if they wanted beautiful art, they are likely buying art that is not a musical instrument (and stated without evidence, too).
Agreed. I think the more expensive ukes are actually played more. I mean why wouldn’t you? If you had an expensive car would you just let it sit in the garage and look at it? No, you’d want to enjoy the heck out of it. Especially if it performs better than anything else you have.

I play all my custom ukuleles on a regular basis, as in all the time. I even take them out to uke jams and travel with them when on vacation. Life is too short to play crappy sounding instruments

I am perfectly happy to be wrong. The car collector analogy does not work though. I've known 2 car collectors and they both only took their cool cars out on special ocassions. A 3rd one just moved in near me and is vey concerned about the puddles on our dirt road getting his car dirty, so I doubt I'll be seeing his collectable much! Being more" expensive", "custom", or "handmade" also does not necessarily equate with "better" in the musical instrument world either. Probably if the more expensive instrument does actually perform better, then that might make it more likely to be played. Plenty of decent sounding and playing "inexpensive" ukes out there! It is all relative though. What one person considers expensive, another might consider to ba a steal. The uke that sold recently in the Lahaina fire benefit auction for $42,000 and change would be considered expensive in my book. Actually anything over a few hundred dollars is expensive the way i look at it, but then I live mentally in a world of the past where money actually mattered!

Last edited:
Top Bottom