kim009

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Kim and I am in a little township just outside of Vancouver, Washington. About 7 months ago, I had an acute eschemic stroke and was lucky enough to recovery with almost no noticeable damages. About 4 months ago, I decided to get on with my bucket list while I am still young enough to enjoy all of that stuff. The top of my list was to learn to play the ukulele and have been taking lesson for about 3 months now. At first it was a real challenge to make my right hand obey picking and plucking, but that is coming along nicely. Sometimes, my fingers still want to play the wrong string even though I know what I am suppose to be doing. The ukulele has given me a great amount of pleasure and reintroduced music back into my like (I had stopped listening to almost all music when my husband-an avid audiophile, unexpectedly passed away 2 years ago.) I am now totally adicted to the ukulele and my son says I have a terrible case of UAS (which I admit to-are there rehab meetings for this addition?) My favorite ukuleles are two beautiful handmade, on Maui, concert (blond koa) and tenor (koa.) I have just gotten the vintage ukuele bug and now own a 1927 Martin, 1955 Martin, 1959 Kamaka gold label, a Kumalae, a Thos E. Wilson, and an old Williams. Some need minor restorations and TLC, both of which I am working on. Just holding a ukulele makes me happy and I am surrounded by them in my home. Although my son and his family don't play, they are all active with my collecting. It's a shame more people don't play the ukulele, the world would be a happier place.

Welcome to UU Kim!
It is wonderful to see how the ukulele has given you back so much. I agree with you that if everyone had a ukulele, the world would indeed be a happier place. We're glad you're here.

Aloha Kim,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..and the ukulele, sorry to hear about you health issues and loss of you husband....I lost my father some years ago and I have a disability,,,the ukulele has brought
me happiness and pleasure in my life and turned around my moodiness...it's a natural antidepressant.. and it filled the void in my life...I hope it will do the same for you as it does for me...by the way
I have a very bad UAS condition too....so many ukes and out of control...but it makes me happy, and isn't that the main thing...just hope I don't go broke though...Happy Strummings...MM Stan
Take Care and God's Blessings...

Welcome! You sure have come to the right place. I think there are UAS recovery groups, but no one here is certain because I don't think anyone has ever attended one.
If you're playing uke, you're having fun! Go for it!

Welcome to UU! I feel much the way you do about the uke, it brings me great happiness as well. Congrats on taking the steps to do things in life that make you feel happy! awesome.. glad to have you hear..

On another note, I think sometimes all of my fingers do what they want, not what I want them to do. Keep practicing.. and sorry to say, I wont attend those crazy UAS curing meetings with you! :)

Have a wonderful day.. Hope you are getting some sunshine in beautiful WA state!

Welcome Kim009, Wow, what a story and thank you for sharing it with us. My heart goes out to you and I admire your courage and enthusiasm. I too have UAS. I only have been playing since last August and have six ukes and have bought and sold several others. I say that I must sell at least one. I say I have to get rid of a uke before I can buy another. I will let you know how that works out.... I have two vintage ukes and I have to admit they get me all a twitter inside. There is just something about the older wood and the secrets they are keeping. I am so very happy that you joined us. However if you were wanting to recover from UAS this may not be the best place to be.

Top Bottom