New Uke Day (NUD) Next day NUD - Pohaku Concert, cedar/walnut

hands_on_lanzon

Reaction score
Here's a little teaser/placeholder while I await a YT vid upload and have time to type more on my compootah.

More to come!

So, I went a little nuts and got my second Pohaku in eight days yesterday! I guess when I find something I like, I go for it. So when this one came up in the Marketplace for a second time, I didn't want to miss the opportunity again. I'll admit, I've gone a little smaller size crazy this year. After my trip to Hawaii, I think I fell in love with the vintage tone they put out. This was last listed in June and I had just gotten the red label in May, which has a Port Orford cedar top and walnut body. I think I thought this was too similar and I wanted something different. I dang near almost pulled the trigger on a redwood top Grimes concert that's dang near 10x the price of this one! PHEW! Sure glad that didn't happen!!!

That concert chase led me to the Hayase and I loved it. It was hard to let it go in trade for this one, but I think my recent trip to Peter's workshop and acquisition of my Pohaku soprano last Sunday confirmed that Pohakus are the sound and vibe that I've been after. It's kinda funny how that changes throughout the uke journey! It might be considered a bit of a crazy trade, based on the price difference... but I think Peter's ukes are a great price and some dealers might price their ukes a bit high. The market is nuts, yeah?! Well... another word for crazy is lunatic, so I'm gonna go ahead and blame the moon looking headstock design on my lunacy. Either way, I'd wolf whistle at this uke any day!

20231127_190632.jpg

@TBB was curious how I thought this sounded vs the Pohaku soprano I got, so I figured rather than me try and describe the differences, it's better for folks to hear and judge for themselves. While I was at it, why not add in a few different ukes for comparison. UAS is a sickness or an affliction and I've had it pretty bad, but I'm finally starting to settle in with the sounds I can make with my collection. Here's (most of) what I have in the smaller size bracket (leaving out my National reso) + one recent acquisition that hasn't made a NUD appearance yet.

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts or questions! I'm happy to share.

Last edited:
Thanks for the NUD and comparison, h_o_l. Nice playing, and a great group of instruments. Love Peter's aesthetic and the sound of his ukes.
My pleasure and thanks!! I love both his sound and aesthetic too!

I should add that I completely 'borrowed' the sound sample song from Mika... one of the first songs I learned as I watched one of the TUS podcast uke comparison vids over and over. It's the ep where he and Corey pick their favorite ukes from ~200 to 800 bucks. Back then I thought that was crazy, but that video sure was the tip of a very large iceberg / abyss. I explored it for a while and I'm coming up for fresh air!! ๐Ÿซจ๐Ÿ’จ

What a lovely variety of Instruments, Chris, and great playing!

I love your new Pohaku, it sounds fabulous, I have no idea how Peter gets those rich tones out of such little instruments. Some kind of witchcraft obviously. The Worth Browns sound terrific on the Pohaku soprano, too.

It was great to hear all (I assume all!) your ukes, what a fab collection ๐Ÿ˜

What a lovely variety of Instruments, Chris, and great playing!

I love your new Pohaku, it sounds fabulous, I have no idea how Peter gets those rich tones out of such little instruments. Some kind of witchcraft obviously. The Worth Browns sound terrific on the Pohaku soprano, too.

It was great to hear all (I assume all!) your ukes, what a fab collection ๐Ÿ˜
You โ€Šdo know what happens when you assume, right?! ๐Ÿ˜ (jk!). I have a few (tryna get down to a couple and maybe eventually one) tenors and one baritone. I like to think it's a fair collection, but my better half tends to think otherwise ๐Ÿ˜…

You โ€Šdo know what happens when you assume, right?! ๐Ÿ˜ (jk!). I have a few (tryna get down to a couple and maybe eventually one) tenors and one baritone. I like to think it's a fair collection, but my better half tends to think otherwise ๐Ÿ˜…
Haha, of course, I donโ€™t know what I was thinking ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks for sharing your Pohaku and other ukuleles with us!~

Having a Pohaku resonator myself I would not hesitate to buy another Pohaku that might catch my fancy! I think the curved back that Peter makes and his impeccable attention to detail really make his instruments stand out, esthetically and musically.

Thanks for sharing your Pohaku and other ukuleles with us!~

Having a Pohaku resonator myself I would not hesitate to buy another Pohaku that might catch my fancy! I think the curved back that Peter makes and his impeccable attention to detail really make his instruments stand out, esthetically and musically.
My pleasure! The curved back is super cool and has an eye for aesthetics.

the force is strong in this one... lol!
Congrats!
โœŒ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐ŸฝโœŒ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐ŸฝโœŒ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿค˜๐ŸผโœŒ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿค˜๐ŸผโœŒ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿค˜๐ŸผโœŒ๐Ÿฝ...
The strength comes from the @Aldrine Guerrero hand exercises!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe. I see 17 current listings.
View attachment 147830
An amazing this about this forum is the memory it holds that my brain doesn't. Anyone remember this reverb seller on the PSBT thread that has us all freaked out for being a scammer, selling some amazing ukes, including an MB, at what seemed like a absurdly low price?

Well, check out row 2, column 5! I actually reached out to that seller in January to help confirm his validity and ask for a sound sample. He responded quickly, but said he wasn't set up to provide a good sound sample. Ffwd 10months and this uke passed thru 2 UU'ers and got to me after I missed it twice.

This uke was my first introduction to Pohaku and led to watch that video of him building. At that time, I posted how impressed I was with his fret marker inlay process in the video and now I can see it and hold it with my own two hands!

Can I just say I love the 'Ukulele and the community around it, as a whole, and what this UU forum provides!? Well... I said it. ๐Ÿฅฐ

Here's a little teaser/placeholder while I await a YT vid upload and have time to type more on my compootah.

More to come!

So, I went a little nuts and got my second Pohaku in eight days yesterday! I guess when I find something I like, I go for it. So when this one came up in the Marketplace for a second time, I didn't want to miss the opportunity again. I'll admit, I've gone a little smaller size crazy this year. After my trip to Hawaii, I think I fell in love with the vintage tone they put out. This was last listed in June and I had just gotten the red label in May, which has a Port Orford cedar top and walnut body. I think I thought this was too similar and I wanted something different. I dang near almost pulled the trigger on a redwood top Grimes concert that's dang near 10x the price of this one! PHEW! Sure glad that didn't happen!!!

That concert chase led me to the Hayase and I loved it. It was hard to let it go in trade for this one, but I think my recent trip to Peter's workshop and acquisition of my Pohaku soprano last Sunday confirmed that Pohakus are the sound and vibe that I've been after. It's kinda funny how that changes throughout the uke journey! It might be considered a bit of a crazy trade, based on the price difference... but I think Peter's ukes are a great price and some dealers might price their ukes a bit high. The market is nuts, yeah?! Well... another word for crazy is lunatic, so I'm gonna go ahead and blame the moon looking headstock design on my lunacy. Either way, I'd wolf whistle at this uke any day!

View attachment 162003

@TBB was curious how I thought this sounded vs the Pohaku soprano I got, so I figured rather than me try and describe the differences, it's better for folks to hear and judge for themselves. While I was at it, why not add in a few different ukes for comparison. UAS is a sickness or an affliction and I've had it pretty bad, but I'm finally starting to settle in with the sounds I can make with my collection. Here's (most of) what I have in the smaller size bracket (leaving out my National reso) + one recent acquisition that hasn't made a NUD appearance yet.

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts or questions! I'm happy to share.

Just getting back from a week on the road, and saw the video. Love it! So glad you're enjoying the concert Pohaku, and it sounds great in your hands! (Oh, and get well soon)

Top Bottom