Noob repository

LinguaUke

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Stealing someone else's idea, I've thought of creating a thread so I can keep posting audios of stuff I've been practicing, hopefully someday I can look back and say "geez I was such a noob" and appreciate my evolution as a uke player.

I've bought my first uke last october for my birthday and I've been chaotically learning random stuff as I go, at the moment I've been concentrating more on fingerpicking since I can't strum and sing and I love to be able to play melodies rather than just chords.

This thread was meant for myself, but I am obviously open to any comments and suggestions, just don't be too harsh, I know my technique isn't great but I am just a noob after all :)

Anyway, here goes some stuff (I'll be updating whatever I post in this first comment):

Pretty chord song (10/2023)

A little blues riff thingamabob (with distortion) (10/2023)

Here's my just doing some picking pattern on a chord progression in december (12/2023)

Here's La Bamba (1/2024)

Here's La Vie en Rose (2/2024)

18/02/24 - À Meia-noite Ao Luar (At Midnight by the Moonlight) (my own arrangement of a local folk ballad)

Last edited:
Ten years into this and I’m still chaotically learning random stuff. 😉
Ahahaha, I think having a proper teacher would help but I can't really afford one at the moment, and nowadays there's so much information online I believe anyone can learn pretty much by themselves with some effort :)
But I'm glad some things never change then 😂

Suggestions:
1-Don’t just post audio. Start a YT channel & use it in the same way you intended.
2-Don’t do what I did, which is to go back & delete a bunch of covers that now seem soooo lousy (far worse than my present level of lousy). :ROFLMAO:
3-Participate in Seasons Of The Ukulele. Start by watching tunes posted by Seasonistas and then jump in. It’s a great group and will not only give you a reason to learn tunes you might otherwise overlook, but will force you to do so more quickly.

You sound pretty good to me!
Thank you TBB :)

Suggestions:
1-Don’t just post audio. Start a YT channel & use it in the same way you intended.
2-Don’t do what I did, which is to go back & delete a bunch of covers that now seem soooo lousy (far worse than my present level of lousy). :ROFLMAO:
3-Participate in Seasons Of The Ukulele. Start by watching tunes posted by Seasonistas and then jump in. It’s a great group and will not only give you a reason to learn tunes you might otherwise overlook, but will force you to do so more quickly.

Thank you Oldscruggsfan, I'm not sure I'd like to post video of myself online, but maybe someday - in the meantime I think audio will suffice, I'll try to always try and look back at what I posted as part of the journey so I don't feel tempted to delete anything just because I think it sounded lame.
I intend to participate when I feel like I can learn songs fast enough, at the moment since I'm fairly inexperienced and am concentrating mostly on fingerstyle I still take too long to learn a song well enough to feel comfortable playing it (I'll have to improve my strumming technique and add stuff like chucking and the sort someday, I know 😬)

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

I know how you feel about the videos. I myself only post text because if I started thinking about my audience and effective presentation of material, to do a good job it would take more time than the actual playing of the uke

Thank you TBB :)

Thank you Oldscruggsfan, I'm not sure I'd like to post video of myself online, but maybe someday - in the meantime I think audio will suffice, I'll try to always try and look back at what I posted as part of the journey so I don't feel tempted to delete anything just because I think it sounded lame.
I intend to participate when I feel like I can learn songs fast enough, at the moment since I'm fairly inexperienced and am concentrating mostly on fingerstyle I still take too long to learn a song well enough to feel comfortable playing it (I'll have to improve my strumming technique and add stuff like chucking and the sort someday, I know 😬)

Thanks for the suggestions though :)
I completely understand and share your preference against posting online videos. Something to consider, however: I prefer to refer back to videos in a similar way as sports coaches and players view post- game footage, which is to self- critique fretting hand issues such as finger pressure, economy of movement, rushed chord changes and thumb position, the latter being my top weakness.

And, in addition to UUF security protocols, you’re able to tag “visibility” as “unlisted- only someone with a link can view” for all of them.
Not an argument:) just a bit of insight from a likeminded soul who harbors healthy distrust for the internet. YMMV.

Also, I agree with Patty that your recording doesn’t sound like a noob. Oh, and don’t let this get around but she is the queen of Rumania.:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the kind words, Patty and Scruggs, I intend to only post songs I already feel comfortable with so I don't record stuff I'm not proficient in yet and therefore they sound ok, but I take very long to learn these pieces and I feel I still miss some notes due to bad fretting (and effectively I've only been at it for a few months so I'm definitely a noob), but your comments are very encouraging :)

Strumming songs tend to be quicker to learn but they don't bring me as much joy to play because I can't sing and play at the same time (tips on how to overcome this are veeeery welcome).

As for recording, yeah, I agree it would be helpful, like playing in front of a mirror, I hadn't considered it yet... We'll see :)

Thanks for all the good vibes y'all, and royal salutations to all the monarchs of Romania 😂

18/02/24 - À Meia-noite Ao Luar (At Midnight by the Moonlight)

This is a special one for me since it's the first time I try to compose my own arrangement.

Yesterday I just thought it would be nice to play a traditional folk song and since there's no uke tabs for this kind of thing, I just thought I'd give it a go and make a fingerstyle version of this ballad, which is usually sang by the traditional university music groups here in Portugal (called Tunas, which sounds funny in english).

I don't know any music theory at all so it's just what sounded good to my ear lol

(Here's a link to the original song for the curious)

Top Bottom