Wanted Northern ukulele? (Triangular ukulele)

Price
TBD
Shipping
To US
Size
Any

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a good condition northern ukulele that they no longer want? I was watching an interview with Chalmers Doane and it was really interesting. I might be interested in getting my hands on one of the instruments that he had built to his specifications.

Last edited:
This is not strictly relevant to your query, but twenty years ago a friend showed me a picture of a 'Northern' uke and it inspired me to make something similar. Mine had some very odd features that were different from the originals.
Triangular uke 1.jpg

This is not strictly relevant to your query, but twenty years ago a friend showed me a picture of a 'Northern' uke and it inspired me to make something similar. Mine had some very odd features that were different from the originals.
View attachment 170936
That is really cool! I read up on the history of the Northern uke and it's a really cool story with a rather fascinating design. I hope someone has one for OP and he can do a nud!

FWIW, Jake Wildwood has some excellent pictures and sound samples of both soprano and concert Northern ukuleles at his blog/website. Beware though, it's a total wormhole of vintage instruments that is fascinating. The list of Harmony ukuleles, guitars, mandolins, etc, etc., etc. is pretty amazing like a museum.

Craigslist Vancouver has one $200. Looks to be in good condition.

I was sure I had one of these in the uke closet, but I haven't been able to lay my hand on it! Maybe it's in the storage unit...:unsure:
(Can you tell I have a collecting problem?)

There's one on eBay as well. What's the appeal of it, the shape?

Here's the posting cletus mentions. These instruments come up fairly often on Vancouver Craigslist. On Facebook and other social media sites too, I'm sure, although I don't venture there. The price is of course in Canadian dollars -- the equivalent of about $150 U.S.

Just saw this! Probably going to pick it up in the next week!!

That in/out string arrangement above the nut always puzzles me. I suppose the purpose is to have a good break angle over the nut. Does that headstock not angle back, is that why that setup is needed?

Fleas/Flukes also have no backward angle to the headstock, but the slotted headstock design allows a workable break angle over the nut.

Screenshot_20240419_145645_Chrome.png

That in/out string arrangement above the nut always puzzles me. I suppose the purpose is to have a good break angle over the nut. Does that headstock not angle back, is that why that setup is needed?

Fleas/Flukes also have no backward angle to the headstock, but the slotted headstock design allows a workable break angle over the nut.

View attachment 171217
That’s exactly why. The neck and headstock are cut from the same piece of wood, and are straight.

Does anyone out there have a good condition northern ukulele that they no longer want? I was watching an interview with Chalmers Doane and it was really interesting. I might be interested in getting my hands on one of the instruments that he had built to his specifications.
Ever seen a Style 5. ?? Here’s one in OHSC in almost perfect condition. It's a Concert at 14 3/4" scale $450 plus shipping

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1492.jpeg
    IMG_1492.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1495.jpeg
    IMG_1495.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1497.jpeg
    IMG_1497.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 17
Yes, I bought it a few years ago because .......just because I didnt have one like it!
I’ll have to think about it, not sure I’m in the right place to spend that much at the moment. But I’ll be in touch if I am.

That thing is awesome looking.
Indeed! It looks even better in person....the micro-binding is impressive. Most of these built were Soprano scale for grade-school kids in Canada. As such, most were beat up and abused over their lives. Im speculating this might have been for a teacher/instructor. This is the only Concert scale one I have seen

Top Bottom