Nova U Mini modification - Silent Practice Uke

Ha. But I really want to try the foam thing! True to form, I’m stuck in analysis paralysis, and I haven’t done anything yet. Will def update here when I do something.

Or if you do, please video the process… 😇
I have used different brands of foam in some projects and while some are slower than others to expand I think it should be ok as there is the soundhole opening where the excess can escape and be wiped off before it hardens. Then when it has cured smooth the surface with sharp knife and paint with desired colour.

I have used different brands of foam in some projects and while some are slower than others to expand I think it should be ok as there is the soundhole opening where the excess can escape and be wiped off before it hardens. Then when it has cured smooth the surface with sharp knife and paint with desired colour.
As I said: thin layers. Otherwise you risk that some foam will harden before some other and block the expansion route for some unhardened foam, so the ukulele will explode, AND it is very hard to remove surplus foam as well.

As I said: thin layers. Otherwise you risk that some foam will harden before some other and block the expansion route for some unhardened foam, so the ukulele will explode, AND it is very
As I said: thin layers. Otherwise you risk that some foam will harden before some other and block the expansion route for some unhardened foam, so the ukulele will explode, AND it is very hard to remove surplus foam as well.

At the very least use minimally expanding foam, sometimes labeled "window and door" It doesn't expand as aggressively as other types. If you are willing to post a video of the process would love to see it.

LOL that is a cheap solution.
Ha! I figured I was about to spend money on a piezo pickup and a pre-amp, and I’d probably screw it up royally anyways, so I went with the Risa. Been very happy with my not so cheap solution.

Top Bottom