Novice-accessible original works by UU members

modwitch

reckless novice
UU VIP
Reaction score
(Posting this in this forum because for me it’s an offshoot of the classical challenge thread that’s also here, apologies if it belongs elsewhere!).

I’ve discovered there are quite a few of you writing your own tunes and providing notation for them, but I’m mostly stumbling on them by accident, and a lot are far beyond my current skills. So I’m hoping folks would be kind enough to link to their fave novice-level pieces with notation composed by UU members. “Novice” probably isn’t that clear a term, so something along the lines of “player who is comfortable with fingerstyle and moving around the fretboard, but is still pretty slow and does better when LH fingering progressions are kind”.

Two of my fave finds so far are @engravertom’s As The Rain is Ending, and @Camsuke’s Campanella Waltz.

Hi folks,
Here's my Guitar Pro version of an original tune, "Cam's Campanella Waltz". There's a link to the tab in the video description at YouTube :)

This is a little piece I wrote around 2 years ago. I was driving home, in a bit of a sad mood, with a light rain falling that was tapering off. When I reached home, the first line of melody came to me, as I was doodling on my reentrant strung guitar. I added the other sections before going to bed. It fits well on the ukulele, too. A very simple Campanella piece, except perhaps for the changes in time signature. Tablature is below.

Last edited:
Did you just want original works, or any classical style arrangements that are more accessible?

Did you just want original works, or any classical style arrangements that are more accessible?
Original stuff (and edited my thread title to be clearer, thank you!). I’ve got lots of sources for arrangements at my level. It was your As The Rain is Ending that motivated this request. It’s just this enchanting little song to play!

You might want to check out some of Choan’s music. He is a UU member, and a prolific composer of creative original music, much of which I think you would find accessible. He has also created videos for many of his tunes. For the price of $3/month, you can access the tablature, music notation, and performance notes for each of his works (via Patreon). Or you can buy his individual books, of which there are quite a few.

You might want to check out some of Choan’s music. He is a UU member, and a prolific composer of creative original music, much of which I think you would find accessible. He has also created videos for many of his tunes. For the price of $3/month, you can access the tablature, music notation, and performance notes for each of his works (via Patreon). Or you can buy his individual books, of which there are quite a few.

Yes, thank you! He’s on my list for when I get a little better. I’m currently working through three Sam Muir books (and her Patreon). Does Choan have his book content in his Patreon? That would make it easier to pick songs at my level. (Sam does for her self-pubbed books, I think, but not the ones with a publisher).

I think this might be a little on the challenging side for a novice, but if you want to practice finger style (you're gonna need to use all your fingers to pluck) then this is an original UU song by a novice: https://flat.io/score/664320bdcf69d82eefb01e3d-tension-flavored-ice-cream

There's a play button in the top right. If you click it, it will play the whole song for you. It's a poorly synthesized instrument though, so it'll sound a lot better on your uke than the flat.io playback.

I think this might be a little on the challenging side for a novice, but if you want to practice finger style (you're gonna need to use all your fingers to pluck) then this is an original UU song by a novice: https://flat.io/score/664320bdcf69d82eefb01e3d-tension-flavored-ice-cream

There's a play button in the top right. If you click it, it will play the whole song for you. It's a poorly synthesized instrument though, so it'll sound a lot better on your uke than the flat.io playback.
Thanks! Looks doable. I’m working through Sam Muir’s method books, so I cheerfully use pima plucking.

Thanks! Looks doable. I’m working through Sam Muir’s method books, so I cheerfully use pima plucking.
That's the right style. I have such weak pinkies that I have to brace my hand with both the pinky and ring finger. The thumb hits G and C, Index on E(rarely putting index on C is required), and middle on A. It's an easier variation on the Pima style, and is much more doable for people with weak fingers/hands/wrists.

Last edited:
That's the right style. I have such weak pinkies that I have to brace my hand with both the pinky and ring finger. The thumb hits G and C, Index on E(rarely putting index on C is required), and middle on A. It's an easier variation on the Pima style, and is much more doable for people with weak fingers/hands/wrists.
I feel you. I adjust to accommodate some of hand issues as well, although mine are hypermobility related. Violin bowing with a proper classical hold wrecks me. But independent fingers for uke fingerstyle seems to be working fine.

Does Choan have his book content in his Patreon?
Yes, but not everything in his books.

While not a UU member, and I think he just does arrangements rather than original, another Patreon gem is Ukulele Time. You can check out his YouTube and if you want to download any of his PDFs, become a Patreon supporter of his. @scrambled_eggs plays a lot of his arrangements. I recognize this doesn't meet most of your criteria, but his offerings are just so excellent and many are readily accessible for beginners, I just had to put it in this list.

Yes, but not everything in his books.

While not a UU member, and I think he just does arrangements rather than original, another Patreon gem is Ukulele Time. You can check out his YouTube and if you want to download any of his PDFs, become a Patreon supporter of his. @scrambled_eggs plays a lot of his arrangements. I recognize this doesn't meet most of your criteria, but his offerings are just so excellent and many are readily accessible for beginners, I just had to put it in this list.
I’m not strict 😁. I love Patreon, I will go check him out, thank you.

Yes, thank you! He’s on my list for when I get a little better. I’m currently working through three Sam Muir books (and her Patreon). Does Choan have his book content in his Patreon? That would make it easier to pick songs at my level. (Sam does for her self-pubbed books, I think, but not the ones with a publisher).
I believe that if you sign up for his Patreon program, you will be able to see the individual videos and tablature/music notation for many of the songs in his books. He generally releases new songs one at a time to his Patreon supporters, and then when he has released all of the songs for a particular book, he then makes the book available to his Patreon people (for free), and non-Patreon people can buy it through his shop. I would be best to verify this with Choan directly by contacting him through UU. (You can do that by initiating a search By “Member” for the name choan, which will bring up a list of his posts. From the list, click on his avatar picture, then click on Start Private Conversation.)

My favorite is Fluktronic, which is a youtube channel of our friend and forum member Jim Hanks. It is just a regular dude playing flutes and ukuleles. So it isn't very magisterial. You could play along. Sometimes he has tutorials and playalongs, sometimes it is more of a watch and imitate situation. I really find it inspiring because he's just a regular guy doing his thing without any Juilliard credentials or corporate sponsors.

Awesome, thanks folks! More things to check out in the morning when I haven’t forgotten my earbuds in the living room 🤣

Top Bottom