NUD: Anuenue LOUT Lion

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all. UAS has gotten the best of me and I ordered an Anuenue LOUT Lion from World of Ukes (WOU). I have been eyeballing this uke for a few years now and rationalized my purchase to the fact that I didn’t have a slot-head ukulele. The LOUT Lion has a cedar top (stained orange) and Koa back and sides.

Shipping: World of Ukes does really fast shipping. It shipped from the UK on a Wednesday and I received the use on Monday in San Francisco. If anyone is curious about the shipping cost and if there are import taxes from WOU, there aren’t. WOU charges the prices (which include VAT) and does free shipping. He doesn’t remove the VAT charges (from the UK) but he uses those costs to cover import taxes if you are outside of the UK. So the price you see listed on his website is all you pay.

Fit and Finish. The fit and finish is top quality. The finish is nice a glossy surface. The neck is a satin finish which is very comfortable. No imperfections at all.

Sound: The uke has a good deal of volume. Very articulate and warm. I’m a big fan of warm-sounding ukes. It has a very balanced sound from strings G-A.

Compared to my Cedar Moon bird (UT214):
Feel: The first noticeable difference is the neck. The neck of the Lion is wider and more flat. It's more of a D Shaped neck. My Moon Bird has more of a C-shaped neck. So it's not as chunky and more narrow. When I say chunky, it’s not Pono chunky, but more chunky than the moon bird neck. Also, I am using Uke Logics HT’s with Wound C and G (my favorite strings). The string tension on the Lion is higher probably due to the downward angle of the slot head.

Sound: The sound is also very different. Both ukes have a cedar top but the Moon Bird has rosewood back and sides vs the Lion's Koa back and sides. The Moon bird is warmer and has a little more of a scooped sound profile with the low-end being very pronounced. The moon bird has more of that resonant harp-like sound that moon birds are famous for. The Lion sounds different with more a balanced sound from each string. The mids and highs are more pronounced on the lion, but not as much low-end. Both are great-sounding ukes but interestingly different feel and sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Congrats! The orange isn’t for everyone, but time and again I’m impressed by how my Lion sounds.

Hi all. UAS has gotten the best of me and I ordered an Anuenue LOUT Lion from World of Ukes (WOU). I have been eyeballing this uke for a few years now and rationalized my purchase to the fact that I didn’t have a slot-head ukulele. The LOUT Lion has a cedar top (stained orange) and Koa back and sides.

Shipping: World of Ukes does really fast shipping. It shipped from the UK on a Wednesday and I received the use on Monday in San Francisco. If anyone is curious about the shipping cost and if there are import taxes from WOU, there aren’t. WOU charges the prices (which include VAT) and does free shipping. He doesn’t remove the VAT charges (from the UK) but he uses those costs to cover import taxes if you are outside of the UK. So the price you see listed on his website is all you pay.

Fit and Finish. The fit and finish is top quality. The finish is nice a glossy surface. The neck is a satin finish which is very comfortable. No imperfections at all.

Sound: The uke has a good deal of volume. Very articulate and warm. I’m a big fan of warm-sounding ukes. It has a very balanced sound from strings G-A.

Compared to my Cedar Moon bird (UT214):
Feel: The first noticeable difference is the neck. The neck of the Lion is wider and more flat. It's more of a D Shaped neck. My Moon Bird has more of a C-shaped neck. So it's not as chunky and more narrow. When I say chunky, it’s not Pono chunky, but more chunky than the moon bird neck. Also, I am using Uke Logics HT’s with Wound C and G (my favorite strings). The string tension on the Lion is higher probably due to the downward angle of the slot head.

Sound: The sound is also very different. Both ukes have a cedar top but the Moon Bird has rosewood back and sides vs the Lion's Koa back and sides. The Moon bird is warmer and has a little more of a scooped sound profile with the low-end being very pronounced. The moon bird has more of that resonant harp-like sound that moon birds are famous for. The Lion sounds different with more a balanced sound from each string. The mids and highs are more pronounced on the lion, but not as much low-end. Both are great-sounding ukes but interestingly different feel and sound.
So you paid 20% UK VAT instead of your local state sales tax?

There’s a lot about that model that really isn’t for me, but it certainly has a fine reputation for the sound; and the orange is gorgeous.

Congratulations Arik, looks like a keeper! :)

Thank you for sharing your insights and especially in comparison to your cedar bird. I guess there are not a whole lot of players that have both. You already wrote a good deal about the sound but if you should ever do a sound sample comparison, I wound be interested. :)

I am quite surprised about the differences in the neck profile though. I would expect Anuenue to use some kind of CNC for the neck blanks at least that is shared across their bird sereies ukes. When I am looking at Barry's reviews at GotAUkulele, he rates the profile very much like the moonbird. So I wonder what the reason behind this is...

And I feel your UAS as I just ordered a koa bird tenor myself to accompany my AMM3. 😅
Just fell in love with the looks and sound. I also looked at the Lion and while I find its warm sound very appealing, for me personally, not so for the colour. I ordered from SUS as I preferred the curl in the wood to the one at WoU, but I also highly recommend Matt at World of Ukes. A pleasure to deal with, and no hassle with silly taxes on my part when ordering from Germany (fortunately it is the same with SUS now).

orange is my favourite colour. :)
been lusting after one of these since they first built them.
congratulations Arik! jealous ❤️

So you paid 20% UK VAT instead of your local state sales tax?
@jobbity. I did the calculations with my local tax (CA-USA), moonbirds/lions going up in price £100 (but WOU still listed this uke at the previous price), and me having to wait for someone else to get one in. And I decided to just do it. I probably paid around $60-70 bucks more then if I got it from SUS, depending on the exchange rate at the time.

I was waiting for SUS to get them in but they orig said july, then sept. I saw that WOU had it so I just jumped on it instead of waiting longer. They just don’t carry these in the US.

Congratulations Arik, looks like a keeper! :)

Thank you for sharing your insights and especially in comparison to your cedar bird. I guess there are not a whole lot of players that have both. You already wrote a good deal about the sound but if you should ever do a sound sample comparison, I wound be interested. :)

I am quite surprised about the differences in the neck profile though. I would expect Anuenue to use some kind of CNC for the neck blanks at least that is shared across their bird sereies ukes. When I am looking at Barry's reviews at GotAUkulele, he rates the profile very much like the moonbird. So I wonder what the reason behind this is...

And I feel your UAS as I just ordered a koa bird tenor myself to accompany my AMM3. 😅
Just fell in love with the looks and sound. I also looked at the Lion and while I find its warm sound very appealing, for me personally, not so for the colour. I ordered from SUS as I preferred the curl in the wood to the one at WoU, but I also highly recommend Matt at World of Ukes. A pleasure to deal with, and no hassle with silly taxes on my part when ordering from Germany (fortunately it is the same with SUS now).
@SebastianF thanks! Let me think about the sound sample. Not sure if I am ready to display my ukulele skills, or lack there of.

As for the neck profile, I don’t think BAZ owns any of the Anuenues so I think he was comparing them based on memory. If you have them side by side you can definitely feel and see the difference. Neither are bad. I also wonder why the profiles are different. Is your AMM3 feel different (since it’s also a slotted head) then your new UT3K?

Also congrats on the UT3K! So you are the one who grabbed that beautiful uke!! I saw that posted right when I got my Lion and was thinking “man should have I gotten that one for a couple hundred more??”. Don’t regret my purchase but that UT3K is curly and beautiful.

Last edited:
@SebastianF thanks! Let me think about the sound sample. Not sure if I am ready to display my ukulele skills, or lack there of.

As for the neck profile, I don’t think BAZ owns any of the Anuenues so I think he was comparing them based on memory. If you have them side by side you can definitely feel and see the difference. Neither are bad. I also wonder why the profiles are different. Is your AMM3 feel different (since it’s also a slotted head) then your new UT3K?

Also congrats on the UT3K! So you are the one who grabbed that beautiful uke!! I saw that posted right when I got my Lion and was thinking “man should have I gotten that one for a couple hundred more??”. Don’t regret my purchase but that UT3K is curly and beautiful.
So, quick update. I got my UT-3K from SUS last week though I really haven't had much time to play it yet unfortunately. But first impression, the sound is as beatiful as the wood. Move up the fretboard and it shines and shimmers even more, Wow! Guess I have to write a NUD / review myself once I have some time. 😅

First time I took it out of the case I felt the neck and thought, hey, that is quite different to my AMM3e in feel. But very comfortable. As you wrote it is really a quite pronounced flat D shape. Only other uke that I own with a similar shape is my Coast, and I love the feel of that neck. I think it feels a bit like you have a wider nut if that makes any sense. Anyway, I like it.
Then I took out my AMM3e and was suprised to find the neck profile is the same. 😅 I measured at the first fret with a contour gauge and if there is a difference it is negligible. So maybe what I felt was the gloss on the AMM3e vs the satin on the UT-3K? There is however a difference between the transition of the slottet vs the classical headstock to the neck which might account for what I felt. The UT-3K has kind of a flat spot under the nut, however that is gone at the first fret.

So, still puzzled why your Cedar Bird and Lion have different neck profiles...

I like that lion on the fret board
This is from memory, so I may not have the details correct. It's the logo for the band "Lion", that I believe aNueNue sponsored. for whom the original lion uke was made. Orange was the band's color.

It was such a hit, aNueNue started making them, under license, for sale to the public.

It's a great sounding tenor. I'm surprised the neck shape is different from the Moonbirds.

Last edited:
It's a great sounding tenor. I'm surprised the neck shape is different from the Moonbirds.
I’m going to have to bust out my calipers this weekend. My wife has a Moonbird and I have the Lion, and I could have sworn the necks are the same (or at least within the same tolerances).

I’m going to have to bust out my calipers this weekend. My wife has a Moonbird and I have the Lion, and I could have sworn the necks are the same (or at least within the same tolerances).
Some actual measurements would be cool. Also take a good look and see if the shapes of the necks differ any.

Moonbird and Lion look like nice ukes. Might like to try a Moonbird or Cedarbird someday if I get the chance. Or a Lion.
Just wonder if the necks would feel good in my hand. I like KoAloha and Pono necks. Those feel good to me.

Last edited:
@Veritas99: I'm curious what you find. I pulled out both ukes again and the shapes are different. Maybe using chunky might have been the wrong adjective to describe the shape, but my Lion is flatter on the curve's apex (from 1st fret all the way down) compared to my cedar bird. Because it of it being a little flatter it feels different on the edges to me. Again both feel really good, just different.

Some actual measurements would be cool. Also take a good look and see if the shapes of the necks differ any.

Moonbird and Lion look like nice ukes. Might like to try a Moonbird or Cedarbird someday if I get the chance. Or a Lion.
Just wonder if the necks would feel good in my hand. I like KoAloha and Pono necks. Those feel good to me.
All three Anuenue's would be great acquisitions. I think the Moonbirds have similar neck shapes to Koaloha. I compared it to my KTM mango.

@Veritas99: I'm curious what you find. I pulled out both ukes again and the shapes are different. Maybe using chunky might have been the wrong adjective to describe the shape, but my Lion is flatter on the curve's apex (from 1st fret all the way down) compared to my cedar bird. Because it of it being a little flatter it feels different on the edges to me. Again both feel really good, just different.

I finally had a chance to take some measurements. There are some differences, but very slight, between my wife's Moonbird tenor and my Lion. I used digital calipers for the first 3 measurements and then a soft tape measure for the last two.

Lion
Nut width: 36.75mm
G to A (just below nut): 28.5mm
Back of neck to top of first fret: 20mm
Neck from top of fretboard to other side (at nut): 59mm
Neck from top of fretboard to other side (at first fret): 61mm

Moonbird
Nut width: 36.45mm
G to A (just below nut): 28.45mm
Back of neck to top of first fret: 20.8mm
Neck from top of fretboard to other side (at nut): 59mm
Neck from top of fretboard to other side (at first fret): 62mm

I've attached photos of them side by side. They are very similar, although the Moonbird is ever so slightly thicker. The break angle where the neck move into the headstock is very different and the Moonbird has a slightly more satin neck than the Lion, both of which also contribute to a different feel. To me, it's very minor and I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference at all if Arik hadn't raised it.

Attachments

• 20221023_143532.jpg
    20221023_143532.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221023_145931.jpg
    20221023_145931.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom