NUD- Cordoba Mini R Guitar/Baritone Guilele

I'm confused. I thought that I saw in all the marketing and with the vendors selling this Cordoba Mini, that it includes a padded case. Am I wrong?

Is it merely a padded gigbag, or is it the famous Cordoba polyfoam case? (as seen for sale everywhere for only $24.95 regardless of scale length intended)

If it comes with only the gigbag, then I understand why you (and I too) would want better protection...:)

It comes with the padded gigbag, which is really tight on the Mini, confines onboard storage space to a minimum, and actually can scratch your instrument when pulling it out from the gigbag if you're not careful (the zipper teeth)
The gigbag is okay, but I would spring for the case if I could. Also, no one has really mentioned alternative string sets to the Mini, which I remember was something of an issue with the Islander GL6.
I tested out a regular CG bass set and a D'Addario J27 treble set and it works/sounds/feels just fine tuned to Adgc'e'a'... maybe even better without the added punchiness of the nylgut. My next set going on the Mini is a La Bella red nylon flamenco set after it comes back from USpace with a new L.R. Baggs Lyric installed :D
If anyone wanted a guilele that could handle E tuning better, an alternative would be Pepe Romero's take on the guilele under Romero Creations... it comes with a heftier price tag, but the sound is a lot more rich and full compared to the Mini. It's also a bit bigger too, but much better sounding.

Last edited:
It comes with the padded gigbag, which is really tight on the Mini, confines onboard storage space to a minimum, and actually can scratch your instrument when pulling it out from the gigbag if you're not careful (the zipper teeth)
The gigbag is okay, but I would spring for the case if I could. Also, no one has really mentioned alternative string sets to the Mini, which I remember was something of an issue with the Islander GL6.
I tested out a regular CG bass set and a D'Addario J27 treble set and it works/sounds/feels just fine tuned to Adgc'e'a'... maybe even better without the added punchiness of the nylgut. My next set going on the Mini is a La Bella red nylon flamenco set after it comes back from USpace with a new L.R. Baggs Lyric installed :D
If anyone wanted a guilele that could handle E tuning better, an alternative would be Pepe Romero's take on the guilele under Romero Creations... it comes with a heftier price tag, but the sound is a lot more rich and full compared to the Mini. It's also a bit bigger too, but much better sounding.

Thanks for the info. :)

Another option for the strings could be either the La Bella FG114 set, which is EADGBE for a 1/4 size guitar, or the D'ddario EJ45LP extra hard tension set, which should be able to get EADGBE tuning at this scale length without being too floppy.

Wow, quite a bit heftier price tag. For my purposes, the mini fit the bill and the price is quite reasonable.

Wow, quite a bit heftier price tag. For my purposes, the mini fit the bill and the price is quite reasonable.

Yeah, Córdoba really hit a good one here. I still feel as though they (or someone else) can take the guilele to the next level - the Mini seems to be only good at the high registers, unlike a classical guitar which can sometimes function as a harmonic and melodic instrument at the same time. The Mini can do the same, but the bass line will be really lacking without amplification.
For now, though, the price is right and the product is good. I wonder who will take the next step in a more higher-middle end?

(By the way, anyone feel as though the Mini is a product of their collaboration with Pepe Romero? It's very lightly built, and Pepe's words are running through my head as I hold and play this little sprite of a guilele...)

Does the body shape on the Islander / Kanilea GL6 provide better low end response than the mini? I notice that HMS has the Islander back in stock, maybe the setup issues they had have been resolved...

Does the body shape on the Islander / Kanilea GL6 provide better low end response than the mini? I notice that HMS has the Islander back in stock, maybe the setup issues they had have been resolved...

I don't think so. The Islander has a "super tenor" body, while the Mini has a baritone size body, allowing for slightly greater acoustic body resonance. Of course, being more lightly built also helps as well. The spruce/acacia Islander I got was decent, but buzzing could occur very easily, as it was set up very low (being in a desert climate doesn't help much either). Overall, I would say the Córdoba wins out against the Islander, unless you specifically wanted the onboard active pickup and don't mind an acoustically-weak low end. It's okay, but acoustically Mini > GL6.
Of course, if you're looking for good acoustic low end with the 5th and 6th strings, D and A, respectively, you'd be better off getting a good requinto guitar (or the RC guilele) and adapting to that. Requinto guitars are basically mini classical guitars with the same tuning as a guilele (requinto players, feel free to jump in!) but handle the tuning as well as a classical guitar handles its tuning.
Buying from Andrew shouldn't work against you in any way - if you're unsatisfied with either product, he'll help you out.

As for amplification, I'm getting a L.R. Baggs Lyric microphone pickup installed in my Mini now... we'll see how that goes :)

I am happy with the rosewood mini, just wondered if the islander body shape provided any benefit. At this point my playing skills are the limiting factor, not the quality of any of my instruments. I've been trying out Guileles to see if they suit me. So far I like them...

I am happy with the rosewood mini, just wondered if the islander body shape provided any benefit. At this point my playing skills are the limiting factor, not the quality of any of my instruments. I've been trying out Guileles to see if they suit me. So far I like them...

Welcome to the guilele family haha.
The Mini's size and shape are awfully conducive to the classical guitar style of playing, in my opinion. I would recommend that if you haven't started already to pick up a classical style of playing. The nut width is .04" smaller than a regular classical guitar, and the neck length is considerably smaller than a 650mm CG neck, which makes a lot of advanced repertoire a lot easier on the fingers, ones that require a lot of stretching and/or rapid finger displacement.

Bach BWV 995 Prelude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUxD-Z7w18

I read CG sheet music as is on the Mini while knowing the tuning is a fourth higher, and it brings a new life to the pieces I play. Overall, if you wanted to improve your skills, learning classical is a great way to start! :)

I know this is an older thread, but hoping someone can help. I can't see pics :eek:

Does the mini have a slotted headstock, and are the tuners sealed? Also, how do you like the neck profile? I can't wrap my head around the description of "thin u-shaped neck." I play a concert uke and standard 6-string acoustic guitar, for reference.

I'm kind of also concerned about the nut width. I had a 3/4 size CG, and between the scale length and nut width found it uncomfortable to play. My acoustic is 1.72" and is ok. I'm no advanced player, but I'm looking for a nylon strung shorter scale something to tune EADGBE.

Thanks for your feedback!

The headstock is not slotted, it is a paddle or standard headstock. The tuners are open gear. The nearly 2" nut width is an adjustment, compared to a narrower nut width on an acoustic guitar. But, I adjusted fine to it. You can tune it to standard E tuning with those Aquila strings designed for it.

I have the cordoba mini o, solid ovangul even the soundboard. Fine instrument. been playing it for 3 months. Excellent opportunity to learn guitar and have fun as well. The solid ovangul is not as loud as the spruce top models, but its very pleasing. The E tuning strings made by aquilla are just all right, rather thick and stiff. Nothing great. What made the instrument sing IMHO is the specialty guitele string set from Southcoast Ukulele. Made a huge difference in tone and playability. I went for the reentrant e tuning set. Very nice unique sound. Blended well in my ukulele club meetings. If you want to buy one, go to Marifone Guitars or all string nylon website. Chuck marifone sets them up really nice and he is an authorized cordoba dealer. according to chuck he like the sound of the rosewood/spruce the best.

I have decided to sell my Mini R. Comes with Córdoba gig bag and has a Fishman SBT installed.

I purchased it from All Strings Nylon. It is setup perfect and currently is strung as a guitar.

Like new. $230 shipped. I accept PayPal gift.

PM me or email at vicschmeltz@gmail.com

Thanks for the info. :)

Another option for the strings could be either the La Bella FG114 set, which is EADGBE for a 1/4 size guitar, or the D'ddario EJ45LP extra hard tension set, which should be able to get EADGBE tuning at this scale length without being too floppy.

I recently purchased an "Alulu" Baritone Guitarlele from Taisamlu on Ebay. When it arrived, the model was actually a "Bat King". I didn't like the stock strings so I bought D'Addario 1/2 size Normal Tension EJ27N 1/2 strings and they work great in EADGBD tuning. Bass response is limited compared to my full size Washburn but when I use a thumb pick on the Bat King, it sounds really nice and is, of course, much more comfortable to play. The Bat King has a solid spruce top, laminated rosewood back and sides, 20" scale, 1 7/8" nut, bone nut and saddle, slotted headstock and satin finish. I got it for $114 included shipping but with no bag or case.

Top Bottom