New Uke Day (NUD) NUD Ken Timms Style 0

Kei

Aloha
Reaction score
*I feel a need to edit this, adding a preamble to the original post, to clarify that "it's me, not uke" :) *
This ukulele is beautiful. The intonation is actually perfect - the best I've personally found. It is a masterpiece of lutherie; playable art. It is the work of a master and I am so very fortunate to have it with me. But it isn't The One I am looking for when it comes to a soprano. And that's on me, not on the ukulele or its builder.

Original post:
It's brand new. I have added a hard case to the package. Anyone interested in buying it? 🤷‍♂️

📸 Ken Timms

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 38
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 37
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 35
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 28
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Nice instrument. You might do better listing it in the marketplace with price and details
Yes, that will likely happen. I’m still trying to bond with it but it isn’t taking. And I really want to love this ukulele.

Huh, that's surprising. What is it that you don't really like about it? It looks great.

Huh, that's surprising. What is it that you don't really like about it? It looks great.
Yes, it truly is a beautiful work of art. I am pretty sure it is me and not the ukulele. I was hoping for a sound closer to a Kumalae I recently reconditioned and then sold. I replaced the strings Ken had on it with some Worth Browns. That brought it closer but still not it. I’m thinking that the soprano I am seeking might be a KoAloha.

If you're used to made-in-Hawaii koa soprano ukuleles, mahogany ukuleles are going to sound a lot different. You could try some Hawaiian-style black nylon strings to see if that is more like what you are used to.

If you're used to made-in-Hawaii koa soprano ukuleles, mahogany ukuleles are going to sound a lot different. You could try some Hawaiian-style black nylon strings to see if that is more like what you are used to.
I think you’re right.

Yes, it truly is a beautiful work of art. I am pretty sure it is me and not the ukulele. I was hoping for a sound closer to a Kumalae I recently reconditioned and then sold. I replaced the strings Ken had on it with some Worth Browns. That brought it closer but still not it. I’m thinking that the soprano I am seeking might be a KoAloha.
Ah, it's a mainland vs island sound situation! Timmses can sound a little dark so it's worth trying out some very bright strings before you sell it. Some clear fluorocarbons might change your mind. If not, release it back into the wild and buy the Hawaiian uke of your dreams!

Yeah, probably there difference in the two sounds and concepts. There are a couple nice Kamakas in the marketplace to consider. You can't do much better than this for a classic Hawaiian uke sound

I have a Timms and know what you mean. They are really masterpieces and they do indeed sound different than the typical modern mass produced mid-high tier soprano uke. I otoh, love the sound and feel of my Timms ukulele. It is remarkably unique.

While changing strings can change the feel and tone color of an instrument to a certain degree, in my experience you can't completely change the sound or personality of an instrument. It is likely that a mahogany uke in the traditional Martin style and a koa traditional Hawaiian instrument won't sound alike. A lot has to do with build style. A vintage mahogany Martin and koa Martin probably closer than a koa Martin and a koa Kumalae.

I have sometimes found that changing strings has caused me to fall in love with an instrument that I did not connect with, I have also had instruments that I sold because no strings ever got the sound I wanted. But, always worth a try as strings are relatively cheap. Good luck!

While changing strings can change the feel and tone color of an instrument to a certain degree, in my experience you can't completely change the sound or personality of an instrument. It is likely that a mahogany uke in the traditional Martin style and a koa traditional Hawaiian instrument won't sound alike. A lot has to do with build style. A vintage mahogany Martin and koa Martin probably closer than a koa Martin and a koa Kumalae.

I have sometimes found that changing strings has caused me to fall in love with an instrument that I did not connect with, I have also had instruments that I sold because no strings ever got the sound I wanted. But, always worth a try as strings are relatively cheap. Good luck!
This is excellent insight! Things I had not considered. Thank you.

Wow. This community is so funny. You outbid me on that one. I gave up on eBay after losing on maybe 5 of them. I have a different timms in the mail on its way to me right now that I bought from its original owner. I have high hopes. The last few timms have gone for quite high prices on eBay. There is one on eBay right now that’s approaching $900 already and the auction doesn’t end until tomorrow.

I’ve also had the experience where a specific set of strings made me fall in love with a ukulele. My go-to has become worth clears because I’ve had this experience with them several times.

I have sometimes found that changing strings has caused me to fall in love with an instrument that I did not connect with, I have also had instruments that I sold because no strings ever got the sound I wanted. But, always worth a try as strings are relatively cheap.
+1 to that!

Reactions: Kei
Wow. This community is so funny. You outbid me on that one. I gave up on eBay after losing on maybe 5 of them. I have a different timms in the mail on its way to me right now that I bought from its original owner. I have high hopes. The last few timms have gone for quite high prices on eBay. There is one on eBay right now that’s approaching $900 already and the auction doesn’t end until tomorrow.

I’ve also had the experience where a specific set of strings made me fall in love with a ukulele. My go-to has become worth clears because I’ve had this experience with them several times.
I put Worth clears on the Ohana pineapple concert (the one that exploded) and I really like them too. They have a nice not too bright tone and they're really comfy on the fingers.

Top Bottom