NUD: Ko'olau 20 Year Anniversary "Taro"

Now that's a fancy ukulele! Congratulations, enjoy the heck out of it!

Stunning sound and wow- the figured Koa is wonderful. Congrats. Play it in good health!

Great review, bearbike137! I echo your enthusiasm about Noa and Ryan's creations. I have a tenor (CS) and a concert Ko'olau -- each is joy to play and to look at. I listed to podcast last night that makes me a bit reluctant to try different strings on either . . . https://soundcloud.com/theukulelesite/epi-8-noa-ryan-from-koolau-guitar-ukulele.

Thanks. My new Ko'olau is awesome. That said, I couldn't get the Alohi strings off it fast enough. I feel it sounds worlds better with flourocarbons. I was surprised that Noa was so negative on flourocarbon strings in that podcast.

Last edited:
Thanks. My new Ko'olau is awesome. That said, I couldn't get the Alohi strings off it fast enough. I feel it sounds worlds better with flourocarbons. I was surprised that Noa was so negative on flourocarbon strings in that podcast.

I guess it just shows that luthiers also have a bias towards a certain sound. But considering florocarbon seem to be widely accepted as the go to string of choice for most uke players Noa's dislike of them is suprising.

Thanks. My new Ko'olau is awesome. That said, I couldn't get the Alohi strings off it fast enough. I feel it sounds worlds better with flourocarbons. I was surprised that Noa was so negative on flourocarbons strings in that podcast.

Congrats on that special Ko'olau.

I really enjoy the brightness and chime/bell like tones of Alohi strings, especially on a Ko'olau. But, I've never regretted taking them off for FC strings. :)

PHD strings (polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF):a fluorocarbon), seem to capture much of nice brightness and chime/bell like tones of Alohi strings better than other FC strings (for reentrant tuning). Had success with PHD strings on Ko'olau and Pegasus koa tenors that had Alohi and Hilo strings, respectively.

Indeed a wonderful acquisition as someone else said. Love the aesthetic. Crazy cool figured Koa, the absence of fret markers makes the inlay look even more stunning. The Koa tuners. The sound! Play it in good health!

Top Bottom