New Uke Day (NUD) NUD : Martin C1K

Isn’t it weird that they put the pretty wood on the back?

This has always puzzled me. I've seen and owned plenty of ukes where the back was much nicer looking than the top. Weird that.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Mexican-made Martins but something about that plain and clean look does appeal to me. Certainly not the worst example of a C1K I've seen.

Her plain and clean look is part of the appeal to me .
And the blonde Koa .
If the back were the front I don't think I would have bought her .
I like the way "blondie" feels in my arms .
And the way she sings .

But those sound oh so nice and Martin necks have a great profile... That's actually pretty good looking for a C1K though (dark neck, headstock, bridge), and at first glance I also wondered why the back wasn't the top (and who besides Iz buys a Martin in HNL 😉). Very unique C1K, congrats.

But those sound oh so nice and Martin necks have a great profile... That's actually pretty good looking for a C1K though (dark neck, headstock, bridge), and at first glance I also wondered why the back wasn't the top (and who besides Iz buys a Martin in HNL 😉). Very unique C1K, congrats.
Mahalo .

"Along with Hawaiian-made Kamaka ukuleles, Martin ukuleles have always been very popular with Hawaiian musicians. Jesse Kalima, Eddie Kamae, Alfred Apaka, Herb Ohta (aka Ohta-San), and Israel Kamakawiwo’ole are just a few of the top Hawaiian musicians who were fond of Martin ukuleles."
https://www.martinguitar.com/blog-c...2-the-oldest-surviving-maker-of-ukuleles.html

They neglected to mention Peter Moon .

Last edited:
They put the tuners sticking out at the sides, so anything is possible 😉

I think it looks quite pretty! Nice Martin!

Congrats, it looks great and I’m sure it sounds great as well! (y)

I had a chance to play one recently and while it was too quick to get a memory of the character of the tone, it struck me as a very pretty voice.

Last edited:
That one looks great, a plain koa front, reminds me of many old Hawaiian koa ukes I've seen. The sapwood back is cool too; but I also prefer it on the back, YMMV. I've never played one of these, how would you describe the sound?
Thank you .
There are many sound samples on YouTube .
What I can say is I think the C1K is very versatile .
Hawaiian , Blues , Folk , Pop , ect ... all sound good .
Oh , and it’s loud !

Last edited:
This has always puzzled me. I've seen and owned plenty of ukes where the back was much nicer looking than the top. Weird that.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Mexican-made Martins but something about that plain and clean look does appeal to me. Certainly not the worst example of a C1K I've seen.
I’ve never even seen a contemporary Martin-made ukulele, but I have played plenty of the Mexican ones, and I like them. I would never brag about their fit and finish! But they sound good, and they play easy and they’re priced right. I think maybe their biggest advantage is that there are plenty of players coming to ukuleke from the guitar world, and they are overwhelmed by all the choices. They see one that’s stamped, Martin, or stickered Martin, and they feel safe ordering it. They think, humorously, that they’ve got the best and they don’t acquire UAS, maybe ever. I think it usually turns out fine. Some of them likely never buy another ukulele because their interest wanes, but at least it wasn’t a crappy ukulele that held them back. Martin knows their market, and for Mexican ukuleles, it’s decidedly mid range. The S1 and C1 are particularly good. I’d take one in a minute if I had room

Thank you .
There are many sound samples on YouTube .
What I can say is I think the C1K is very versatile .
Hawaiian , Blues , Folk , Pop , ect ... all sound good .
Oh , and it’s loud !
My S1 has quite the volume as well! It drowns out my singing voice...which is a good thing :)

Yours looks a lot nicer than mine. Love the way it plays and sounds, though!

I
I’ve never even seen a contemporary Martin-made ukulele, but I have played plenty of the Mexican ones, and I like them. I would never brag about their fit and finish! But they sound good, and they play easy and they’re priced right. I think maybe their biggest advantage is that there are plenty of players coming to ukuleke from the guitar world, and they are overwhelmed by all the choices. They see one that’s stamped, Martin, or stickered Martin, and they feel safe ordering it. They think, humorously, that they’ve got the best and they don’t acquire UAS, maybe ever. I think it usually turns out fine. Some of them likely never buy another ukulele because their interest wanes, but at least it wasn’t a crappy ukulele that held them back. Martin knows their market, and for Mexican ukuleles, it’s decidedly mid range. The S1 and C1 are particularly good. I’d take one in a minute if I had roo
I’ve never seen a contemporary Martin-made Ukulele either. However, I just bit the bullet and traded a couple instruments and some cash for Martin 0 Tenor Sinker Mahogany. It should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I come from the acoustic guitar community, mostly playing bluegrass and old-time music and love my D-18. I bought the 0-Tenor from a good friend who owns a music store in Alabama and is a Martin dealer. Ill try to do a review after it comes in and have time to play it for a week or two.

I’ve played several Mexican Martin, mostly concert and tenor size. I think that they are well made and sound and play great! So, based on my experience with my D-18, I’m betting that the 0 will be a keeper!
Tom

I

I’ve never seen a contemporary Martin-made Ukulele either. However, I just bit the bullet and traded a couple instruments and some cash for Martin 0 Tenor Sinker Mahogany. It should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I come from the acoustic guitar community, mostly playing bluegrass and old-time music and love my D-18. I bought the 0-Tenor from a good friend who owns a music store in Alabama and is a Martin dealer. Ill try to do a review after it comes in and have time to play it for a week or two.

I’ve played several Mexican Martin, mostly concert and tenor size. I think that they are well made and sound and play great! So, based on my experience with my D-18, I’m betting that the 0 will be a keeper!
Tom
I spoke too soon, I forgot that I have played one that I think is no longer in production, a mahogany tenor with front and back bindings and maybe some purfling in front. It was nice. I’m sure you’ll like yours. Looking forward to your review.

Congrats!

One of the music stores near me sells Martin ukuleles. I tried the C1K and a Martin 2K (modern US-made koa concert ukulele). The C1K sounded great for the price. The 2K felt and sounded noticeably better; more responsive with a richer tone. Of course the 2K costs more than 3 times as much, so you do get what you pay for.

One of the music stores near me sells Martin ukuleles. I tried the C1K and a Martin 2K (modern US-made koa concert ukulele). The C1K sounded great for the price. The 2K felt and sounded noticeably better; more responsive with a richer tone. Of course the 2K costs more than 3 times as much, so you do get what you pay for.
Could just be the strings . ;)
I think the 2k is strung with their Premium Polygut .
Anyone try those on the C1K ?
Or other strings like D'Addario Titanium .

Top Bottom