New Uke Day (NUD) NUD (or maybe NJD :-) - There's a new and very different animal in the ukulele jungle, Pops UKESA 8-string Juke-A-Lele can roar!

wouldn't that make it twice now, that your uke was photographed during it's build?
Crazy you remembered that. The other was my Koa Pineapple Sunday, first one with Pops "newly designed for me" side sound port! That is just too weird!

This is so cool! You'll never guess what I saw during my KoAloha tour in December! Okay... maybe you can guess. Here's a peek behind the curtain of the mad genius workbench. They let me glue on the bridge! (Just kidding).

View attachment 148259
View attachment 148260
This was my first time seeing a Juke-a-lele and I was geeeeeeking out!! I wish I got to run into Pops and chat about it, but he wasn't around when I visited. So bummed.

I did learn that the writing across the bottom is the Hawaii state motto! The words Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono which mean "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness."

After seeing this one, I also came across the one at Ukulele Puapua and got to give it a play. You're completely right... I've never played anything like it! I'm not an 8 string player, but it definitely has an amazing unique sound of its own.

Congrats and enjoy!!
I love these build in session shots! I love looking at how things are constructed. Beautiful uke, and like everyone I'm waiting to hear a sound sample. The builder has really interesting ideas. I agree that aesthetically a through tie bridge may look a little cleaner but I with Pop that they're a bit of a pain to deal with. Some people have probably figured out easier ways to tie them
Enjoy it!!

I can't wait to see when he creates his Cuckoo Clock-u-lele

Crazy you remembered that. The other was my Koa Pineapple Sunday, first one with Pops "newly designed for me" side sound port! That is just too weird!
So Chris (who took the pics at KoAloha) compared the abalone fret bars and sure enough this in my uke! Stay tuned, brief sound comparison on the way.

Great story behind the uke and your interaction.

The detail Pops put into this build is amazing. What a fun and unique instrument. Green with envy.

Great story behind the uke and your interaction.

The detail Pops put into this build is amazing. What a fun and unique instrument. Green with envy.
This uke especially is a very detailed and time consuming build. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop's makes less "per hour" on the Juke than he does on his other models. Holding it in your hands is like holding a piece of fine furniture (that sounds great when you play it)!

Update - last night I took my Juke to lead a Uke Jam. Not only were the strummers there blown away by it's HUGE sound (and beautiful looks) but I was shocked how it's volume and jangly voice can rise above the collective strumming when you want it to. Not sure where the top of the volume is, I didn't hit it last night for sure. And the unexpected bonus, this was the 1st time I played it standing up, I haven't put a strap button on the bottom because I'm not exactly sure where to put it. But I found the concave curve in the bottom not only fits my arm perfectly BUT the "point" created by the curve, hooks so nicely, kind of hanging the body on your arm. I'm guessing this "feature" wasn't considered in the Juke's design, but it's so cool how this unusual body shape is also super functional!

Attachments

• IMG_5155.jpg
    IMG_5155.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5153.jpg
    IMG_5153.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 7
Need a slot for someone to deposit a quarter and you would play them a song on it!

Top Bottom