NUD: Rebel Double Creme (Mango) tenor

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all. Just thought I would share my thoughts on my new Rebel mango tenor. Haven't seen very many reviews on this uke.

I picked it up from TUS and it looks great. Rebel has been releasing some awesome curly mango recently and this one has some really nice curls. Got a full setup and plays extremely well. Very comfortable and feels very similar to my Koaloha. The uke really projects (it's pretty loud) and has a nice warm tone but is also very articulate. The finish is very similar to the gloss finish of Koaloha. It's a high gloss finish but has a slight orange peel look. People that have a Koaloha know what I'm talking about. Glossy and looks great though. The newer Rebel mangos have a beautiful ebony faceplate and still have the ebony fretboard and bridge. It also has a nice clean look with the UPT gold turners.

Overall, I am extremely impressed by this uke. In looks, playability, and sound. I would most definitely recommend this uke.

I also happen to have a Koaloha KTM-00MG (mango). How would I compare the two cousins? They are both have some nice curly mango. Both have the same exact fretboard but the Rebel neck is slightly thicker (it is still a thin neck) and more rounded. The body shapes are very similar in dimensions and size. Both are extremely lightweight. By far the lightest weight ukes that I have ever had. The rebel is a little lighter in weight and I believe it's because the Koaloha crown headstock is bigger. While they are both mango, there is a difference in sound. Both ukes are strung up with Uke Logic high tension with wound low-g. Both ukes are pretty loud but the Koaloha has more low-end bass. Strumming is pretty balance but if you are picking and want the bass lines to pop you can just dig in and hear it roar. Maybe it has slightly more sparkle in the highs as well. The Rebel is a little bit louder and I would say a bit more balanced in sound from strings G-A. Both are great but have their differences.

Attachments

• untitled-16.jpg
    untitled-16.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 123
  • untitled-17.jpg
    untitled-17.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 88
  • untitled-18.jpg
    untitled-18.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 91
Thank you for doing this! These two are probably the best mango tenor makers around. I feel the koaloha mango are better than their Koa..

Thank you for doing this! These two are probably the best mango tenor makers around. I feel the koaloha mango are better than their Koa..
No problem. I'm a big fan of mango and love the warm rounded tone. I had a Koa KTM and it was great, but the mango sound is unique and impressive.

Congrats on that gorgeous new Rebel, and thanks for the comparison. Both are excellent instruments! (y)

Wow - beautiful ukes and congrats! This question indulges a question I keep asking but haven't had opportunity to answer. Instinctively, I'd go for the Koaloha but Rebel also makes a "creme brûlée" (thin line) version for those folks needing an additional justification to have tenors from both related companies.

Thanks for the NUD review. The Rebel is always one of my candidates whenever I buy another Ukulele.

Hi all. Just thought I would share my thoughts on my new Rebel mango tenor. Haven't seen very many reviews on this uke.

I picked it up from TUS and it looks great. Rebel has been releasing some awesome curly mango recently and this one has some really nice curls. Got a full setup and plays extremely well. Very comfortable and feels very similar to my Koaloha. The uke really projects (it's pretty loud) and has a nice warm tone but is also very articulate. The finish is very similar to the gloss finish of Koaloha. It's a high gloss finish but has a slight orange peel look. People that have a Koaloha know what I'm talking about. Glossy and looks great though. The newer Rebel mangos have a beautiful ebony faceplate and still have the ebony fretboard and bridge. It also has a nice clean look with the UPT gold turners.

Overall, I am extremely impressed by this uke. In looks, playability, and sound. I would most definitely recommend this uke.

I also happen to have a Koaloha KTM-00MG (mango). How would I compare the two cousins? They are both have some nice curly mango. Both have the same exact fretboard but the Rebel neck is slightly thicker (it is still a thin neck) and more rounded. The body shapes are very similar in dimensions and size. Both are extremely lightweight. By far the lightest weight ukes that I have ever had. The rebel is a little lighter in weight and I believe it's because the Koaloha crown headstock is bigger. While they are both mango, there is a difference in sound. Both ukes are strung up with Uke Logic high tension with wound low-g. Both ukes are pretty loud but the Koaloha has more low-end bass. Strumming is pretty balance but if you are picking and want the bass lines to pop you can just dig in and hear it roar. Maybe it has slightly more sparkle in the highs as well. The Rebel is a little bit louder and I would say a bit more balanced in sound from strings G-A. Both are great but have their differences.

That a great uke! I got one last October, and the sound is wonderful. The construction and appearance are also wonderful.

Wow - beautiful ukes and congrats! This question indulges a question I keep asking but haven't had opportunity to answer. Instinctively, I'd go for the Koaloha but Rebel also makes a "creme brûlée" (thin line) version for those folks needing an additional justification to have tenors from both related companies.
I wish Koaloha would make a thinline mango...

The new uke looks great! Sounds like a winner. Congrats!

Top Bottom