Nut files

Pegasus Guitars

Reaction score
Anyone bought the pricey Music Nomad diamond nut slot files with the plastic handles? I have a dozen or so totally worn out nut files and it is time to bite the bullet and get new ones. I have tried every type of file that the lutherie suppliers sell. They all work, but I really don't think any of them are exceptional. Except for one type of flat gauged file that Stew-Mac sells, which I have, all files are about the same. Just wondering if the diamond ones are actually good. All files are pricey, so it only matters if they work. Thanks, Bob

I've cut 1 uke nut and a handful of guitar nuts with my set of nomads. They work just fine, though they're also my first set of files so I can't provide any sort of comparison to other types. But they got the job done just fine.

Grizzly now makes nut files too for about the same price as the nomads. Could be worth considering if you're looking at cheaper files.

Thanks. I do this stuff for a living. Not looking for cheaper tools, just better ones that work. When I replace worn out tools, I always look for up to date ones that might be better. Appreciate your reply.-Bob

Anyone bought the pricey Music Nomad diamond nut slot files with the plastic handles? I have a dozen or so totally worn out nut files and it is time to bite the bullet and get new ones. I have tried every type of file that the lutherie suppliers sell. They all work, but I really don't think any of them are exceptional. Except for one type of flat gauged file that Stew-Mac sells, which I have, all files are about the same. Just wondering if the diamond ones are actually good. All files are pricey, so it only matters if they work. Thanks, Bob
"Pricey" I avoid.

They are the best files I’ve ever used. So much so I gave away all my other files from Stew Mac. I modified the leading edge of the plastic holders though. They were a bit bulky and would probably scratch a headstock if you filed a nut in situ.

They are the best files I’ve ever used. So much so I gave away all my other files from Stew Mac. I modified the leading edge of the plastic holders though. They were a bit bulky and would probably scratch a headstock if you filed a nut in situ.
Chuck and David- Thanks for encouraging me to spend my $. Nothing is ever cheap in good tools. I've had a couple of other positive nods in other forums, with the only negative being that they are a little short. Guess I'll have to try them. My old files will barely cut butter at room temp anymore. Time to move on!

Chuck and David- Thanks for encouraging me to spend my $. Nothing is ever cheap in good tools. I've had a couple of other positive nods in other forums, with the only negative being that they are a little short. Guess I'll have to try them. My old files will barely cut butter at room temp anymore. Time to move on!
Got my Nomad files yesterday.. They work great. I bought the acoustic guitar set, which will work for ukes.Much nicer than the typical V shaped files or the flat ones that bind in the slots.Time will tell about longevity. Good thing is that they can be bought individually, as the most often used sizes will probably wear out the fastest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom