Ohana CK-35 & Nylon Strings ?

DJ Mango

Reaction score
Has anyone found nylon strings they like with the Ohana CK-35 ?

I‘m generally not a nylon fan, but here’s my experience with Ohanas. I owned an SK-35 and a CK-50. The soprano sounded fantastic with Martin 600s. The concert worked best with Worth Brown mediums. I didn’t like Aquilas of any formulation on them. (Not true for my SK-28, which sounds great with the Aquila sugars.)

Has anyone found nylon strings they like with the Ohana CK-35 ?
I’ll follow this with interest so please let us know the final outcome. I’ve got a CK-35 and think them a good instrument for the money. What the right string is for them I’m not so sure, but Aquila Super Nylguts work OK and the Martin M600’s before that didn’t disappoint either.

Nylon strings have a mixed reputation. If I were to try Nylon (I did considered it) then it would be clear (rather than black) and by Ernie Ball or D’Addario - they look like reliably good bets, aren’t dear and are readily available . As I understand it the (Nylon) strings supplied are Guitar strings repackaged for use on Ukes.

Last edited:
Will do .
I emailed Ohana about alternative strings in general for the CK-35 , and Louis Wu replied the stock strings match well and suggested Worth Brown Medium if I prefer lower-tension strings that gives a softer tone (and also easier on the fingers while strumming) .

I was strumming a vintage Martin tenor that was strung with black nylon in a shop last week .
ghs h-10 , I think , with a wound C .
Sweet !

Nylon strings can often make ukes sound a bit underwhelming because they generally produce less volume and lack higher frequencies resulting in a warmer and mellower tone. Of course if that's what you're after specifically then they are a great choice of strings. Personally I mostly use nylon strings only on ukes that either have a softwood or otherwise have loads of resonance and projection. Ukes made out of all solid hardwoods can often sound a bit muted with nylon strings but there certainly are exceptions. On laminate wood ukes, I wouldn't even bother. I can't speak for the Ohana CK-35 specifically as I haven't tried one but it's certainly one of Ohana's most popular and revered models. It won't cost you much to try a set of nylon strings on it.

As Graham Greenbag mentioned above, clear nylon is probably the safest bet. D'Addario or Ernie Ball clear nylons are cheap and good quality. That being said, D'Addario have a black nylon set for concert ukes that have a thinner gauge compared to the equivalent clear nylon set. I've found that this set of strings can have a similar amount of treble to the clear nylon set because of those lower gauges so that is worth a try as well. GHS also make a similar black nylon set as well.

Nylon strings can often make ukes sound a bit underwhelming because they generally produce less volume and lack higher frequencies resulting in a warmer and mellower tone. Of course if that's what you're after specifically then they are a great choice of strings. Personally I mostly use nylon strings only on ukes that either have a softwood or otherwise have loads of resonance and projection. Ukes made out of all solid hardwoods can often sound a bit muted with nylon strings but there certainly are exceptions. On laminate wood ukes, I wouldn't even bother. I can't speak for the Ohana CK-35 specifically as I haven't tried one but it's certainly one of Ohana's most popular and revered models. It won't cost you much to try a set of nylon strings on it.

As Graham Greenbag mentioned above, clear nylon is probably the safest bet. D'Addario or Ernie Ball clear nylons are cheap and good quality. That being said, D'Addario have a black nylon set for concert ukes that have a thinner gauge compared to the equivalent clear nylon set. I've found that this set of strings can have a similar amount of treble to the clear nylon set because of those lower gauges so that is worth a try as well. GHS also make a similar black nylon set as well.
Kala's new GLOSS SOLID MAHOGANY CONCERT MODEL: KA-SMH-CG comes with D’Addario® Clear Nylon .
This model is the direct competitor to Ohana's CK-35G which come with Aquila Super Nylgut .

Last edited:
Kala's new GLOSS SOLID MAHOGANY CONCERT MODEL: KA-SMH-CG comes with D’Addario® Clear Nylon .
This model is the direct competitor to Ohana's CK-35G which come with Aquila Super Nylgut .

Their new SATIN ALL SOLID MAHOGANY CONCERT , model KA-SMH-C , comes strung with D’Addario® Titanium .

Mim's has added Worth clear and brown to the re-string options .
And continues to offer Martin fluorocarbon and graphite .

Millar TM-240 All Solid Mahogany Concert come stock with D'Addario Black Nylon .

Millar TM-240 All Solid Mahogany Concert come stock with D'Addario Black Nylon .
For Mahogany in general Alex from Southern Ukulele suggests black nylon or Aquila Nylguts to emphasize that woods warmth and clear or dark fluorocarbon for a brighter more modern sound .

Give a try to D’Addario® Black Nylon. My Ck35 sounded too bright and loud for my taste so the black nylon sort of tam it down and give a more woody tone. You hear more tone from the uke rather than the strings.

Give a try to D’Addario® Black Nylon. My Ck35 sounded too bright and loud for my taste so the black nylon sort of tam it down and give a more woody tone. You hear more tone from the uke rather than the strings.
I also like worth brown on Ck35 sound very sweet
My CK-35 does sound sweet with WB but may be too dark for my taste .
D'Addariro Black Nylon sounded ever darker .
I tried Ernie Ball both clear and dark and GHS h10 , but ultimately didn't care for them .
Thought I was going to like the GHS as I'm going for a "Hawaiian" sound .
So far I like Fremont Black Medium .
Like the feel , tension , and sweet mellow sound .
I'm going to try Living Waters and maybe try WB again .

My CK-35 does sound sweet with WB but may be too dark for my taste .
D'Addariro Black Nylon sounded ever darker .
I tried Ernie Ball both clear and dark and GHS h10 , but ultimately didn't care for them .
Thought I was going to like the GHS as I'm going for a "Hawaiian" sound .
So far I like Fremont Black Medium .
Like the feel , tension , and sweet mellow sound .
I'm going to try Living Waters and maybe try WB again .
Give a try D’addario carbon. Yes the black nylon is very dark it does sound very woody. I just didn’t like strings that produce a “cheng cheng” sound when u strum - just personal taste.

The alternatives to stock I see mentioned most are Worth Brown , Living Waters , and Fremont Black Medium .

Their new SATIN ALL SOLID MAHOGANY CONCERT , model KA-SMH-C , comes strung with D’Addario® Titanium .

A sound sample of the Kala satin:

Gloss vs Satin. I'd be hard-pressed to choose which. Can anyone describe any difference in tonality or loudness, i.e. the way they sound?

The price is certainly right

Last edited:
A sound sample of the Kala satin:

Gloss vs Satin. I'd be hard-pressed to choose which. Can anyone describe any difference in tonality or loudness, i.e. the way they sound?

The price is certainly right
That clip is the Classic model which comes stock with Aquila Super Nylgut . MODEL: KA-SMHC
The latest model is the SATIN ALL SOLID MAHOGANY with D'Addario Titanium . MODEL: KA-SMH-C
https://kalabrand.com/collections/satin-solid-mahogany/products/ka-smh-c
Other than cosmetics , strings and street price , I don't know if there's a difference .
I'm guessing the Classic has been discontinued .
The new Gloss model comes stock with D'Addario Clear Nylon !
It's brighter , and felt a little heavier than the Satin .

Following up ...
I didn't find a nylon set that I liked on the CK-35 .
I tried Ernie Ball Clear/Black , D'Addario Clear/Black , and ghs H-10 black nylon .

Following up ...
I didn't find a nylon set that I liked on the CK-35 .
I tried Ernie Ball Clear/Black , D'Addario Clear/Black , and ghs H-10 black nylon .
If you could then it would be useful to others if you explained in more detail, please. What you found may or may not suit the tastes of other players.

Last edited:
If you could then it would be useful to others if you explained in more detail, please. What you found may or may not suit the tastes of other players.
I'm looking for a mellow and bright sound to strum chords for Hawaiian songs on my Ohana CK-35 , an all solid wood Mahogany concert .
I general on my CK-35 I'd call the nylons dull rather than mellow .
At the moment I like Fremont Black Line Medium fluorocarbon on this uke .
I'll try to follow-up later with more details .

Top Bottom