Ohana CK-35 & Nylon Strings ?

I'm looking for a mellow and bright sound to strum chords for Hawaiian songs on my Ohana CK-35 , an all solid wood Mahogany concert .
I general on my CK-35 I'd call the nylons dull rather than mellow .
At the moment I like Fremont Black Line Medium fluorocarbon on this uke .
I'll try to follow-up later with more details .
Mellow and bright are kinda opposites, no?

Mellow and bright are kinda opposites, no?
I’ve used the Blackline strings in the past, just one set, it was some years ago and the strings were used for many months on a Kala Soprano (KA-P). To my recollection they eventual lost ‘something’ from their sound (fairly normal for strings) but I was quite happy with the Blacklines and compared them, before and after, to Martin M600’s. Mellow and bright, well they might not go together but, ‘cause I’ve used Blacklines, I suspect that I understand what he means. IIRC the Blacklines had less bass and less treble than the Martin M600’s but more mid range, the mid range being mellow yet some bright treble still remained there. I found the strings to be fractionally quieter than M600’s and I don’t think that they were as long lasting; I find that the Martins last for a long time - years rather than months, but of gentle use. The Blackline strings are less easy to find in the U.K. than the Martin ones, and a little more expensive too, so I ended up only using one set. I can see how they might suit Kaimuki for his CK35. I hope that that helps.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a mellow and bright sound to strum chords for Hawaiian songs on my Ohana CK-35 , an all solid wood Mahogany concert .
I general on my CK-35 I'd call the nylons dull rather than mellow .
At the moment I like Fremont Black Line Medium fluorocarbon on this uke .
I'll try to follow-up later with more details .
... besides mellow and bright , I'm looking to bring out the inherent sweetness of the CK-35 .
And I prefer lower tension .
So far in testing , the Fremont's check all the boxes .

... besides mellow and bright , I'm looking to bring out the inherent sweetness of the CK-35 .
And I prefer lower tension .
So far in testing , the Fremont's check all the boxes .
Tincture of time, if it's a new instrument...in the meantime play it a lot so it *cringe* opens up.

... and checking another box , they're not too loud .

Eureka , I found it ! Maybe .

Nylon single strings from Savarez for guitar .

This is what I'm trying at the moment :
  • a string - N° 521 B Savarez Carte Blanche Low Tension
  • e String - N° 522 B Savarez Carte Blanche Low Tension
  • c String - N° 523 B Savarez Carte Blanche Low Tension
  • g String - N° 521 R Savarez Carte Rouge High Tension

It just sounds and feels right to me .
A kind of old school classic Hawaiian music on Martin sound on my Ohana CK-35 solid wood Mahogany .
I'm also going to try a low tension for the high g string .

Last edited:
Top Bottom