**OKAY, JUST ONE MORE FOLLOWUP!** Question For Those Familiar With The Kustom PA50

I had the very nice experience today of going out to one of the retirement facilities in the area and meeting with the Activities Director, who showed me the room in which I'm scheduled to play a one-hour set on April 11. It was nice to visit the facility in advance, to sort of get the lay of the land, and also to think about how much "gear" will be appropriate for the venue.

When I returned home, I experimented with a number of different amp/pickup/mic combinations, but ended up coming to the realization that the simplest combination seemed best for this outing. It consisted of my 5-watt battery-powered Roland Cube Street, with two Pyle dynamic microphones (inexpensive SM-58 copies), each on its own stand. I used one mic for my voice, and I aimed the other at the 12th-fret area of my uke, just a few inches away from the fretboard.

I placed the Cube Street on the floor (it's angled upward) a couple of feet directly out in front of me (projecting "away", obviously), and I was impressed at how much volume I was able to achieve with each microphone before reaching the feedback threshold-- more than enough volume for the moderately-sized room I'll be playing in. And I had no problem hearing myself singing and playing.

The thing that stood out the most during this tinkering session was that my "mic'd-up" uke sounded cleaner and more "true" than when I plugged the uke directly into the amp utilizing my soundboard transducer pickup and pre-amp. That came as a pleasant surprise. I love my pickup and pre-amp, but today the micing-up approach sounded a little nicer to my ear-- the uke sounded "more like itself".

So, that's the setup I plan to use on April 11. I feel confident it'll get the job done, for the room in question. I'll probably want to put some fresh batteries in the Cube Street beforehand (six "AA's" will take you for about 15 hours). It'll be nice to be able to set up without regard to where the wall outlets are.

Now, here's a question-- suppose I have good luck with this setup and would like to use it in a larger venue some day. Keeping in mind that both my voice and my uke are coming out of the Cube Street, could I "stick an SM-57" in front of the Cube Street's speaker grille and run that mic into a channel of a larger P.A. system, basically micing up the Cube Street as a means of reinforcing the voice and uke in a larger room?

Now, here's a question-- suppose I have good luck with this setup and would like to use it in a larger venue some day. Keeping in mind that both my voice and my uke are coming out of the Cube Street, could I "stick an SM-57" in front of the Cube Street's speaker grille and run that mic into a channel of a larger P.A. system, basically micing up the Cube Street as a means of reinforcing the voice and uke in a larger room?
Yes, conceivably you can do this, yet the important question is, why?
Now, some people do do things like this because they want to get a certain, quirky, sonic character from a particular amplifier, yet honestly you want to know EXACTLY why you are doing this and its certainly not for reasons of clarity.
If it was me I would just plug the microphones directly into the larger PA system.

Yes, conceivably you can do this, yet the important question is, why?
Now, some people do do things like this because they want to get a certain, quirky, sonic character from a particular amplifier, yet honestly you want to know EXACTLY why you are doing this and its certainly not for reasons of clarity.
If it was me I would just plug the microphones directly into the larger PA system.
Well, there I go again, completely overlooking the most common-sense solution! Thank you, Anthony, that is simple and clear, and I appreciate the reminder to always have a well-thought-out reason for doing something, rather than just doing it to be doing it.

Top Bottom