Older Kamaka pineapple: decal? replacement tuners?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I had a hankering for an old Kamaka pineapple. I dropped an offer at Reverb, and just received this one in the mail:

Kamaka Pineapple Ukelele, White Label, Gloss Natural https://reverb.com/item/3824193-kamaka-pineapple-ukelele-white-label-gloss-natural

My questions:
1. Since tuners are a wreck and I can't tune it, can someone here that knows these ukes verify that it's a Kamaka?
2. Tuners need replacement, what should I buy?
3. What does the "Ke" on the headstock represent?
4. It's a tich musty (is that why the tag is spotted?). Anything I can spray inside to get rid of that odor?

If it's a disaster, I can return it, but the body looks pretty good...

Thx, looks right, this must be Japan made.
Except this one looks like koa (is there another wood it could be?)
And the white label - can't find another pineapple like it...
How can one sort it out from the Japanese fakes Kamaka was trying to contain? It's very lightly built, with straight rather than ladder bracing.

Last edited:
I am prejudiced regarding tuners. there is no other 4:1 lighter in weight and with a better warranty than PEGHEDS. Read a review at www.ukeeku.com. I had no idea he was writing a review when he bought his set. He also says who has the lowest price for them.

Thx, looks right, this must be Japan made.
Except this one looks like koa (is there another wood it could be?)
And the white label - can't find another pineapple like it...
How can one sort it out from the Japanese fake Kamakas mentioned? It's very lightly built, with straight rather than ladder bracing.

The wood and head stock decal are confusing to me. May be the guys at Kamaka can help identify it.

Last edited:
No wood other than mahogany used in Japanese Keiki's. Not sure the word "fake" is appropriate when referring to them when they were licensed to make them for sale in Japan only. Headstock decal seems to be the "fly in the ointment."

Got these from StuMac, no problems with fit or installation on my Pineapple.
Cheers,
R
14acv12.jpg

Sometimes a piece of thin leather between the back of the uke and the bottom of the grip will widen the space enough that friction can be restored. If you have nothing available, let me know what colour you want them to be and I will sent you some. The outer diametre will be about 10mm (3/8"). I would send you 8 in case you might need to double up. Quite often the back of the peghead becomes indented.

Top Bottom