Pending Ono Cedar Bolivian Rosewood Tenor

Price
Shipping
CONUS Included. Buyer pays for Overseas shipping.
Size
Tenor

hands_on_lanzon

Reaction score
Greetings fellow ukeaholics!

It pains me to do this, but I think the time has finally come for me to post my Ono Cedar Bolivian Rosewood Tenor. This has to be my most painful marketplace posting so far, but I felt like the time was right with the recent TUS listing of another Ono. Hopefully it gives someone the opportunity to get one that's a little more traditional (but not very traditional by any means) at a little cheaper price.

I'll start with the original listing from TUS:

I love all of the fine details and craftsmanship that David puts into his ukuleles! The cantilevered fretboard with rosewood binding and maple purfling, maple purfling throughout, amazing wood grain, flying buttress bracing, maple rosette... I think it's all amazing. Unfortunately, it turns out the tone wasn't for me, after playing it for a few months. I listened to the sound sample of this one dozens of times before buying it, as I was playing this Guess the 'Ukulele contest on TUS:

Then I listened to it a dozen more times after winning the contest, justifying buying this ukulele, and giving me reason to learn the song Corey played in the sound sample. Imagine how many viewings it took to learn this one by watching the reveal video!

Anyways.. that's a little background on my connection with this ukulele. I'm hoping the sound samples help guide it to someone who will give it the love it deserves!

As you can see from the date on the pics, it's taken me a while to actually get the willpower to post it. Also note that the buyer can select between the hard case or the gig bag. It's very well padded, but doesn't have the pocket space I would like.

Ono Cedar Rosewood Tenor 01.JPG

Ono Cedar Rosewood Tenor 02.JPG
Ono Cedar Rosewood Tenor 03.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 04.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 05.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 06.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 07.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 08.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 09.JPG

I wanted to highlight the few cosmetic blems in a separate post. Please see the pics below of some nail marks. I really thought I was gonna be keeping this one forever, so I played it like it was mine and not like I was hoping to sell it. Also added a couple more pics of the gig bag, for those interested.

Cheers!

Ono Cedar Rosewood Tenor 12.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 13.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 14.JPG

Ono Cedar Rosewood Tenor 10.JPGOno Cedar Rosewood Tenor 11.JPG

Just a question out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the tone? Was it too warm, too bright, too loud too quiet. The only reason I ask is because some people maybe prefer "bright" and if you say it is bright they might be interested in it.

I have owned two Ono ukuleles and both were excellent instruments. I had left hand issues and found a radius fretboard necessary, both were flat or I would have kept them. Good luck with the sale

That's a beauty! I think the tone is lovely.

Just a question out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the tone? Was it too warm, too bright, too loud too quiet. The only reason I ask is because some people maybe prefer "bright" and if you say it is bright they might be interested in it.

I have owned two Ono ukuleles and both were excellent instruments. I had left hand issues and found a radius fretboard necessary, both were flat or I would have kept them. Good luck with the sale
Thanks for the tip and feedback on your prior Ono ukes! I think brightness starts to describe it. It's hard to pinpoint, but maybe it has a little more attack or bite, if that makes sense.

That's a beauty! I think the tone is lovely.
Thanks! I agree!

David makes outstanding ukuleles. If I could, I would jump at this beauty. Alas, moving & downsizing takes precedence.

Thanks for the tip and feedback on your prior Ono ukes! I think brightness starts to describe it. It's hard to pinpoint, but maybe it has a little more attack or bite, if that makes sense.

Thanks! I agree!
I have an Ono 18” tenor I purchased here at UU. It came tuned to C. I personally found it too bright. Possibly the 18” scale and POC top. I tuned it down to Bb and it made a huge improvement. Then, I turned it down again to A, and that’s where it lives now. I sounds amazing.
The cedar top should be warmer than the POC I own. You might want to do the same and see how you like the sound.
Before I purchased mine, I considered buying your Ono from Ukulele Site based on the video by Kalei and I know he had it tuned to C.
Cheers

I have an Ono 18” tenor I purchased here at UU. It came tuned to C. I personally found it too bright. Possibly the 18” scale and POC top. I tuned it down to Bb and it made a huge improvement. Then, I turned it down again to A, and that’s where it lives now. I sounds amazing.
The cedar top should be warmer than the POC I own. You might want to do the same and see how you like the sound.
Before I purchased mine, I considered buying your Ono from Ukulele Site based on the video by Kalei and I know he had it tuned to C.
Cheers
Thanks for the feedback! I have tried it in lower tunings and it definitely makes a big difference. Please don't get me wrong... I'd love to keep it! Unfortunately I've come to a point where I can't keep em all, so I have to decide which to let go. I did extensive comparisons with strings and tuning with all my tenors... my wife was even in on it, providing her input, since it was too hard for me to decide! This was one that resonated the least with us, so I gotta do what I gotta do. I'm hoping it finds the right player to give it the love it deserves!

Thanks for the feedback! I have tried it in lower tunings and it definitely makes a big difference. Please don't get me wrong... I'd love to keep it! Unfortunately I've come to a point where I can't keep em all, so I have to decide which to let go. I did extensive comparisons with strings and tuning with all my tenors... my wife was even in on it, providing her input, since it was too hard for me to decide! This was one that resonated the least with us, so I gotta do what I gotta do. I'm hoping it finds the right player to give it the love it deserves!
GLWTS

Greetings fellow ukeaholics!

It pains me to do this, but I think the time has finally come for me to post my Ono Cedar Bolivian Rosewood Tenor. This has to be my most painful marketplace posting so far, but I felt like the time was right with the recent TUS listing of another Ono. Hopefully it gives someone the opportunity to get one that's a little more traditional (but not very traditional by any means) at a little cheaper price.

I'll start with the original listing from TUS:

I love all of the fine details and craftsmanship that David puts into his ukuleles! The cantilevered fretboard with rosewood binding and maple purfling, maple purfling throughout, amazing wood grain, flying buttress bracing, maple rosette... I think it's all amazing. Unfortunately, it turns out the tone wasn't for me, after playing it for a few months. I listened to the sound sample of this one dozens of times before buying it, as I was playing this Guess the 'Ukulele contest on TUS:

Then I listened to it a dozen more times after winning the contest, justifying buying this ukulele, and giving me reason to learn the song Corey played in the sound sample. Imagine how many viewings it took to learn this one by watching the reveal video!

Anyways.. that's a little background on my connection with this ukulele. I'm hoping the sound samples help guide it to someone who will give it the love it deserves!

As you can see from the date on the pics, it's taken me a while to actually get the willpower to post it. Also note that the buyer can select between the hard case or the gig bag. It's very well padded, but doesn't have the pocket space I would like.

View attachment 148798

View attachment 148799
View attachment 148800View attachment 148801View attachment 148802View attachment 148803View attachment 148804View attachment 148805View attachment 148806

This is the sort of ukulele that makes you buy a (this) concert even thought you're in the market for a tenor.

This is the sort of ukulele that makes you buy a (this) concert even thought you're in the market for a tenor.
There are definitely some concerts out there with a deeper, warmer, tone if that's what you mean. 😅 The Kamaka Ohta San comes to mind immediately. This Ono does have a certain resonance that's hard to find in any ukulele, including other tenors.

Isn't this a tenor? Sorry for my confusion.
Gadzooks! I was mistooken! My brain jumbled this up with that stunning Oceana concert (both are so appealing) in the marketplace...my mistake! Sorry!

Gadzooks! I was mistooken! My brain jumbled this up with that stunning Oceana concert (both are so appealing) in the marketplace...my mistake! Sorry!
No worries! 😄 I was a little confused and trying to figure it out as well. I figure, any press is good press! 😉

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Ono tenor #28 that is Adirondack Spruce/ Bolivian Rosewood. It is a keeper for me. Easy to play. Great projection. And a voice that is both rich and full with Low G strings. It's one of my most played tenors.

I'm sure the cedar makes it a little more rounded in sound. I wish mine had a side sound port like this one.

Top Bottom